Make Your SL-20X Un-Suck – KILLER Mod!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Sorry, but not available right now! However, given the level of interest expressed here, I will see about ordering another 10 or 15 Carley RF1940 reflectors. That's the limiting factor in the equation right now. I have the 1160 lamps and I have the potting material and fixture-ring tubing, but what I don't have is 1940 reflectors.

Of course, ordering from Carley is like dealing with the buerocracy (does anyone know how to spell that damn word?) from HELL . . . so who knows when I might get the order delivered to my door.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
It always surprises me how many people are still interested in this mod! Not that it isn't a great mod for the SL20-X. Add the flasher/dimmer tailcap, and you have a unique light, worthy of being in anyone's collection. No question. I guess it just surprises me that so many people still use such a large, incandescent light as the SL-20X. It's a pleasant surprise, though, and I suspect it may point to the LEO contingent, and the usefulness of an incan light like the SL-20X running the 1160 lamp, or maybe just to the desire for people to upgrade their old SL-20X's that have been gathering dust (???). Feel free to pipe in as to why you are interested in this mod!

I will call Carley tomorrow if I remember and post back here.

russthetoolman

Enlightened
I have 3 SL20's, the first ones. they have history as they were purchased by me from a retired SERT team member here local. They are supremely simple, solid switch and already beat up so I don't feel guilty about using them. Their design of a potted bulb/ reflector is more rugged than say the magcharger with the bi-pin.
I like them because they are a bit of history. Streamlight offered me the newer ones in trade for these and I declined.
Russ
If the bulb burns out, is it a simple bulb replacement with a new potted one? Or is it the reflector and bulb assembly?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have 3 SL20's, the first ones. they have history as they were purchased by me from a retired SERT team member here local. They are supremely simple, solid switch and already beat up so I don't feel guilty about using them. Their design of a potted bulb/ reflector is more rugged than say the magcharger with the bi-pin.
I like them because they are a bit of history. Streamlight offered me the newer ones in trade for these and I declined.
Russ
If the bulb burns out, is it a simple bulb replacement with a new potted one? Or is it the reflector and bulb assembly?

See js's sig line in his last post, and click on appropriate link.

Bill

Last edited:

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
I still have two SL-20s and am interested in upgrading the old-school workhorses!

PhillyRube

Enlightened
I have 3 of these...an old SL15 (solid plastic large diameter case) and a SL20X (same diameter but has the plastic foam coating) and I'm running SL35 lamp assemblies in each one. Our department issues these, and all our cars have at least one charger in them (my command truck has 5 chargers, with 4 lights). I also have a SL20X-LED, that is my backup light (to my upgraded Tigerlight, my 9N with sharpie teeth bezel, a ThunderAX that is STILL at PTS, my newly acquired Mag 61/11 (for cutting through window tint, and my belt Gladius. Oh yea, I have a Maxabeam in the back seat for problem situations

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have 3 of these...an old SL15 (solid plastic large diameter case) and a SL20X (same diameter but has the plastic foam coating) and I'm running SL35 lamp assemblies in each one. Our department issues these, and all our cars have at least one charger in them (my command truck has 5 chargers, with 4 lights). I also have a SL20X-LED, that is my backup light (to my upgraded Tigerlight, my 9N with sharpie teeth bezel, a ThunderAX that is STILL at PTS, my newly acquired Mag 61/11 (for cutting through window tint, and my belt Gladius. Oh yea, I have a Maxabeam in the back seat for problem situations

Man oh man, talk about a flashaholic, by vocation, and interest. That SL15 must be struggling under the load of the SL35 LA. Runs on a subC pack, but it is nice and light. I have one somewhere, also one of the older SL35's not SL35X.

Bill

lebox97

Enlightened
as a thump in the night, or LEO/security use light - one reason is the "option" of using it as a :whoopin: or, :twak: if all else fails...
(it works much better than most other EDC lights for such defensive activities) ;)

...I guess it just surprises me that so many people still use such a large, incandescent light as the SL-20X...

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that these lights are still in heavy use by LEO's, security and many tradesmen. They are a real workhorse of a light. You can't beat the runtime and output for the price. If you take care of an Streamlight SL-20X it will provide you with many years of trouble free runtime. My early model SL20 (model prior to the SL-20X) underwent daily charging and nightly discharging for years before I need to replace the battery. Of course my bulbs needed to be replaced not because they burnt out but because I usually dropped the light and broke the bulb. I used the SL35 bulb for years which discharged my battery pack at a faster rate and IMHO broke down the battery faster. This was acceptable to me for the increased brightness. JS's SL60 is a better combination for brightness and throw than the SL35 bulb. I have the SL60 in my current SL-20X. I also like being able to change out the bulb while keeping the reflector even though I haven't had to change my bulb yet. The SL60 is not something you need but adds more functionality to an already good reliable light.

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
My SL-60 is now officially over 1 year in service and I can tell you that its worth the money and completely amazing!! JS does an incredible job and my SL-60 is still asked about by other officers. Just the other night we were doing some building checks, approx 0300 hrs, and my back-up spotlighted the building (from approximately 100yards, with his cruiser's spotlight. I then hit the same building with my SL-60 from the same distance! NO COMPARISSON!!! JS, I still have another SL-20X that needs a drop-in as well...put me down for (1). Thanks for the great work sir!!!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Policetacteam,

Wow! Thanks for your kind words! The real credit should go to Welch Allyn for making such an awesome lamp in the 01160, though.

Everyone,

OK. Been on the graveyard shift, and not making the transition very well, not getting much sleep, day after day after day. So, I haven't been very motivated (or verbally functional) to call Carley yet. But I will do so and will report back here.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
JS,

Slightly off topic but what would you recommend, in terms of batteries, to power this thing. I have been using the stock Streamlight battery with fairly good results but would be willing to spend a little more if there is a battery that you would recommend or feel is much nicer!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
JS,

Slightly off topic but what would you recommend, in terms of batteries, to power this thing. I have been using the stock Streamlight battery with fairly good results but would be willing to spend a little more if there is a battery that you would recommend or feel is much nicer!

Google generic Streamlight SL-20X batteries, and Streamlight SL-20X batteries. There are some after market high capacity battery packs out there. Or, you can order some 1/2D loose cells and stack them in the SL-20X. There are some pretty high cap 1/2 out out there also. Google 1/2D batteries.

Bill

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Thanks. I will check that out! JS seems to have the skinny on some crazy stuff. I'm waiting for him to construct some custom battery for my SL-60 made of depleted uranium and other components which are classified! JS...are you up to the task!?!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Policetacteam,

Well, the pack made from Aero NiMH cells has been really great, and has been the standard high quality go-to recommendation for a MagCharger or SL-20X for years. But, as you can see if you click on the link and scroll to the bottom, their 5 cell 1/2D pack for MC has been unavailable for a long, long time, and the promised availability date is long since past. And the last time I tried to send them an email it bounced back. Or I had some other issue. This whole saga is probably chronicled in earlier posts in this thread, I suspect!

But, what you are looking for is good quality 1/2D cells, and a pack maker.

For the cells, www.powerstream.com offers a 3.8AH 1/2D cell (NiMH) and can make them into packs for us, but the catch is that the minimum order (for the cells alone) is $200. They are $7.90 ea. So there would need to be a lot of interest to float a group buy of these things. They do offer a NiCd 1/2D for "retail" sale, with no minimum buy, and that cell does indeed freaking ROCK, but it's capacity isn't that high. It's the same capacity as the stock pack, in fact. But, on the other hand, the voltage under load would be phenomenal.

If you want me to make you up a pack from these cells, I can do it. I would end-to-end solder the cells, however, which is great for performance, but not the best in terms of toughness and resistance to breakage when dropped onto concrete, and etc.

Lux Luthor could make up any cells into a welded pack for you, however. Send him a PM. In fact, he may even have some good NiMH 1/2D's lying around, or may know of a source for same. I've never seen his packs, but I would bet he does good work as he is very conscientious and thoughtful.

But, anyway, the stock pack actually does a decent job of driving the 1160, so there's no real need to upgrade the pack . . .

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Thanks JS,

Like I stated earlier in this post..even with my tired old pack this light performs amazingly!!! I could only imagine what it would look like with a custom pack. Thanks for the info. I may stick with the stock battery for now. If any group buys come open please PM me! Same goes for any new Carly lamps. Take care. Paul