Make Your SL-20X Un-Suck – KILLER Mod!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
In response to PM from Paul, other than a group buy order of 1/2D NiMH 3,800mAh ($7-8 each) from Powerstream, these are the only other "easy" and relatively affordable NiMH solution. I'm not vouching for the quality, but the price is right:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-fb-5h1.html

They don't have individual cells in stock. I'm not sure how old these are, and/or condition of individual cells, balance with each other, actual mAh at needed discharge rate, etc. etc. , but at $5/cell assembled, that's worth a try.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
JS,

Any news on whether you will be doing another run of your mods? Thanks, Paul

I've been preoccupied with the whole USL fiasco lately, but I did make an enquiry to litho123 to see if he had an stock 1940 reflectors. No joy there. So, sadly, that only leaves Carley Lamps itself. It could be months before they plate them and ship them to me, but we shall see. I think I will have them send me 10 or maybe 15 and go from there. Does that sound reasonable?

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Sounds great JS! Please PM when things fall in line. I'm in for 1 as well! Thanks for the great work!

russthetoolman

Enlightened
I've been preoccupied with the whole USL fiasco lately, but I did make an inquiry to litho123 to see if he had an stock 1940 reflectors. No joy there. So, sadly, that only leaves Carley Lamps itself. It could be months before they plate them and ship them to me, but we shall see. I think I will have them send me 10 or maybe 15 and go from there. Does that sound reasonable?

I wrote Carly to inquire about reflectors to help with this project since I am wanting a couple and this is the reply I received in requesting 10 reflectors and pricing and availability:

Dear Mr. Schuchman,

I would like to thank you for your interest in Carley Lamps products.

There is a $50.00 minimum purchase required for all products except medical lamps.

Pricing and availability regarding our RF 1940 reflector as follows;
$6.44 each and in stock as of today.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me and I will gladly assist you.

Kind regards,
Michelle Lopez
Customer Services
310/325-8474 X24
310/534-2912 fax
[email protected]

Is there anything I can do to help this project, like buying the reflectors, you do the potting and we both mail out the items to those that want them? Or I buy and drop ship the reflectors to you and take that headache away of dealing with Carly? let me know if I can assist, it sounds as if you are committed to other projects and time is hard to find for all of it.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO PREPAYS!!!! NO!

Money is not an issue. Nor is working with/ordering from Carley lamps. They know me quite well. The price they quoted you was for bare reflectors, BTW!

I have no problem paying for, and ordering 10 or more reflectors. I just wanted people to post their interest. But it occurs to me now that we can't do that in this forum. That needs to happen elsewhere.

So, do NOT post your interest! I have a good idea at this point (from looking at past PM's) that doing a run of 15 of these kits will be about right, or maybe a little under. Which is good.

I'll get on this, but it won't be right away. We're looking at February before I would have the reflectors and start working on them. I'm going to order Medium Orange Peel. It's a good compromise between throw and smoothness.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Medium orange peel would be cool because my other drop-in you created was a smooth reflector. I would love to see the difference between the two in terms of throw and flood. Just PM when you have them completed. Thank you in advance! JS...the next Gene Malkoff!?! Hmmm

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I'm not 100% but I believe I read that the SL-20XP would not work. I reviewed the original thread but could not find it anywhere. I'm fairly sure I read that the SL-20XP would not jive! Research it yourself!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
wacbzz,Keep in eye in the CPMP for used Sl-20X's. It would be worth it if you can find one.

Hotroddn19

Newly Enlightened
I just got a pair of well used SL-20x's from my work. They were going into the garbage! they had been broke, and on a shelf for 5+ years. I just got a battery pack, and took the switches apart, and wow. I have 11.99 invested in a battery!!!

Now I need the upgraded bulb and reflector!!

I know this post has been revived a couple of times, but if you are still producing, or are working on putting them together, I would be interested!!

Thanks,
Andrew
[email protected]:takeit: