Malkoff M60 MC-E

Enlightened
The comparo I would make is that the M60 MC-E is pretty similar to the old-style SF L4, but about 3x - 4x brighter to my eyeballs. Thats just a subjective guess, but you get the idea. Same full-flood profile.

I agree. I had an old style Milky L4 and it's comparable to the MC-E. I can't remember the brightness of it but the beam pattern is similar.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very much like the reflectored P7 drop in, but maybe with a bit more of a hotspot.

The P7 drop in is perfect for working on cars and doing indoor work:twothumbs

Enlightened
I'm going to find the MC-E very useful at work. I had a habit of blinding myself with the regular M60 when it reflected off of "paperwork" I had people sign. :naughty: The hotspot was too much sometimes at night. I like the diffused hotspot (if you can call it that) of the MC-E. Although still bright, it doesn't throw off my night vision.

Enlightened
I finally got to use the M60W MC-E last night on patrol. It was absolutely wonderful! The wall of light is amazing. My co-workers were like :eek:.
Sounds a bit corny but I did feel a bit safer last night. Flashlights are our guardians in the night. When safe to do so, I like illuminating my surroundings. I like to see what is in front of me and then some..

Thanks again Gene for your wonderful products. :twothumbs

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a Malkoff M60W MC-E. We will see. I need a kydex holster for my Surefire 6PD. Can anyone help?

TIA,

AC

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Gene will make the MC-E on direct drive for those that have the 18650 hosts and IMR 18650 cells. I had to call and request it. It is not going to be on his website; at least for now.

Gene said the lower forward voltage of the MC-E on DD makes more lumens at the same amp draw than the P7. He said the P60 MC-E on DD makes 3.5amp draw at 4.2v. He guestimates well into 1000 lumens, untill it settles down at 2.8amp draw (10 minutes).:rock::xyxgun::touche::buddies:

I ordered mine along with some oven mitts to help with the heat.:D

I also have a P7 P60 to do a beamshot review. Hopefully next week.

Wow, I have the MC-E now but the direct drive sounds like another league in light output. Did Gene say if it would have to run on more than one 18650, or would one be enough? The new AW18650s with 3000 mAh might work well with this.

Looking foward to seeing the beam shots! Thank you!!:grin2:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I have the MC-E now but the direct drive sounds like another league in light output. Did Gene say if it would have to run on more than one 18650, or would one be enough? The new AW18650s with 3000 mAh might work well with this.

Looking foward to seeing the beam shots! Thank you!!:grin2:

The direct drive can only be used for up to 4.2-4.5 volts: anything more and the board or LED will:poof:

I ordered the MC-E P60 Warm version. Gene assured me the Warm on direct drive will make the same 3.5amp draw and 1000 lumens. Granted; the warm makes it appear like less, but the warm color should be a good compromise. Gene further mentioned it will not be as warm as the M60W, but definietly warmer than standard.

Perhaps by Tuesday I should have my MC-E direct drive.:candle:

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
Gene will make the MC-E on direct drive for those that have the 18650 hosts and IMR 18650 cells. I had to call and request it. It is not going to be on his website; at least for now.

Gene said the lower forward voltage of the MC-E on DD makes more lumens at the same amp draw than the P7. He said the P60 MC-E on DD makes 3.5amp draw at 4.2v. He guestimates well into 1000 lumens, untill it settles down at 2.8amp draw (10 minutes).:rock::xyxgun::touche::buddies:

I ordered mine along with some oven mitts to help with the heat.:D

I also have a P7 P60 to do a beamshot review. Hopefully next week.

Do you know if this dropin has the 'dimpled' flood-style lens that the current M60 MC-E dropin has? I don't know the term for it, but it's the same lens that my M60WF has.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know if this dropin has the 'dimpled' flood-style lens that the current M60 MC-E dropin has? I don't know the term for it, but it's the same lens that my M60WF has.

Yes it does. It will have the same 20 degree optic as the M60F.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new AW18650s with 3000 mAh might work well with this.

Sorry, where is the information about these new higher capacity 18650s?

When I check AW's Li-Ion battery sales thread over at the Dealers subforum all I see are the standard protected 2200 mAh batteries.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone thought of putting an aspheric lens on one of these ?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
From these pics, I like the regular M60 much more.... no doubt about that. Unless someone specifically needs an indoor kind of lite with little or no throw.

I like M60 so much I had Gene built me a special one that runs on 4x123 or 12V (the stock one can only take 3x123)

There are a few 18650 cells that approach 3,000 mAh, check the battery section. None of the are protected it appears. Maybe wait another year or two?

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured I would raise this thread from the dead instead of starting a new one. I just purchased a direct drive MCE M60. I have been blown away by the output. Has anybody done any lux measure vs. runtime plots on either the direct drive or the regulated models? I would love to be able to compare. I hope I dont end up regretting not getting a regulated model.