N30 First Impressions

DArklite

Enlightened
Thanks for that detailed analysis, Bluebeam :thumbsup:
Sounds like the N30 really lights up the area in addition to its throw, and I'm thinking that the diffuser/filter kit soon to be offered for the L35 would fit the N30 as well. I can hear my wallet calling already....
As tempting as it is to order an N30, I'll probably hold off for an L35... and pick up another POB for modding/parts along with a Li-ION battery pack and 4300K bulb :naughty:
... and yeah, it'll be your fault again :laughing:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Thanks for that detailed analysis, Bluebeam :thumbsup:
Sounds like the N30 really lights up the area in addition to its throw, and I'm thinking that the diffuser/filter kit soon to be offered for the L35 would fit the N30 as well. I can hear my wallet calling already....
As tempting as it is to order an N30, I'll probably hold off for an L35... and pick up another POB for modding/parts along with a Li-ION battery pack and 4300K bulb :naughty:
... and yeah, it'll be your fault again :laughing:

Thank you!

I went out again as soon as it was pitch black out and shined it around the neighborhood. It really does put out more light than the POB, and has amazing throw. I shined it up into the sky and its beam looked really bright and kind of laser like, just not as laser like as the POB.
It was very impressive in the neighborhood, I stood in the street and shined it into our back yard and it completely lit it up and put a very bright spot on the trees.
I shined it at the tops of very tall trees 300 yards away and it put a huge bright spot of light on them. It throws amazingly far and I love its big round hotspot.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlueBeam22:

I share your enthusiasm. About 6 mos. ago I bought an N30 and sold my POB immediately afterward. I couldn't believe how something so small and light could produce so much light.

I've taken it a few times on hikes - something I would never do with the POB.

Enjoy it!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
BlueBeam22:

I share your enthusiasm. About 6 mos. ago I bought an N30 and sold my POB immediately afterward. I couldn't believe how something so small and light could produce so much light.

I've taken it a few times on hikes - something I would never do with the POB.

Enjoy it!

Thanks SCEMan!

I am glad you see why I like it.
One of the huge upgrades it has over the POB is the multi-LED flashlight built into the handle, so it completely eliminates the need to carry a separate small flashlight.
It will for sure be the light I take from now on on my long walks and hikes.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you!

I went out again as soon as it was pitch black out and shined it around the neighborhood. It really does put out more light than the POB, and has amazing throw. I shined it up into the sky and its beam looked really bright and kind of laser like, just not as laser like as the POB.
It was very impressive in the neighborhood, I stood in the street and shined it into our back yard and it completely lit it up and put a very bright spot on the trees.
I shined it at the tops of very tall trees 300 yards away and it put a huge bright spot of light on them. It throws amazingly far and I love its big round hotspot.

I did detailed measurements of the light output of the N30, L35 and numerous other lights in a 2 foot light box that I made for "larger" lights :D . The N30 does definitely put more lumens out the front end then a POB. Lots of those lumens end up in the very wide and bright spill.

My N30's are my go to lights at night.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I did detailed measurements of the light output of the N30, L35 and numerous other lights in a 2 foot light box that I made for "larger" lights :D . The N30 does definitely put more lumens out the front end then a POB. Lots of those lumens end up in the very wide and bright spill.

My N30's are my go to lights at night.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Hello mtbkndad!

The N30 noticeably puts out quite a bit more light than the POB, and lights up a room quite a bit brighter in a ceiling bounce (The N30 is the brightest light I have ever seen in a ceiling bounce).

IIRC you designed the N30, right? It has to be the best and most perfectly engineered light I own!:thumbsup:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Naughty, naughty Bluebeam. :D

No beamshots?:poke:

Nah man congrats, you sound like your over the Moon with this Light.

:thumbsup:

Lol Flashanator, I am!

Its beam pattern is very impressive when shining it at far away objects, as the huge round hotspot actually does better in some cases than the POB's pinpoint hotspot. The N30's beam shape/quality is so perfect it really blows away the POB.:twothumbs

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Congrat's on your new HID EDC BlueBeam22, I'm glad you found your dream light at last! :thumbsup:

Thank you M@elstrom, you are absolutely right that I have found my true dream light!:thumbsup: I am using the strap from my Thor on the N30 so I can EDC it, it was very comfortable today as the N30 is lightweight enough that the carry strap doesn't hurt my neck.

Tonight I finally got to test its throw on some trees about 500 yards away, and it put a very small and bright spot on them which lit them up very brightly! I was shining it around at trees at all distances and the round spot it put on them was amazing. With its perfect round super bright spot it almost seems Maxabeam like.
It does have a laser like beam when I shine it up into the sky.

I tested it against my 15mcp Thor tonight, which is my farthest thrower, and it held up very well considering the enormous size diference! I would say the N30 had about 80% the throw and hotspot intensity of the Thor, and appeared to be putting out over 150% as much light!

The N30 continues to amaze me, and I will post again about its performance once I test it out in the big fields across the street.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big fields eh? yeah I gotta' admit it's quite amusing lighting up spotlighters from ridiculous distances with a HID kinda' like a WTF factor in there somewhere LMAO :crackup:

Ummm... and just why haven't you placed your new light in your avatar spot yet? :nana:

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Ummm... and just why haven't you placed your new light in your avatar spot yet? >:)

I still need to take the pictures.:D I'll take them tomorrow so hopefully by tomorrow night I will have a new avatar.:thumbsup:

Wolf-Eyes fan

Newly Enlightened
It is a lot slower to start up than the 6000K POB, it warms up slowly for 30 seconds to 95% brightness and then after 45-60 seconds it is at full brightness.

Is it right that if you buy a amondotech N30 now from batteryjunction the start up time is more than 30 sec? I thought it was like 15 sec (like a Microfire Warrior)

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
It is a lot slower to start up than the 6000K POB, it warms up slowly for 30 seconds to 95% brightness and then after 45-60 seconds it is at full brightness.

Is it right that if you buy a amondotech N30 now from batteryjunction the start up time is more than 30 sec? I thought it was like 15 sec (like a Microfire Warrior)

Yes the start up time is slow, it takes just over 30 seconds to reach full brightness. When first turned on it has a deep blue tint to its beam, but after about 20 seconds of warming up it looses the blue tint and the beam changes to a more yellowish white, but still with a very faint tinit of blue.

However, it reaches 80% brightness at 15 seconds.

Illum

Flashaholic
beautiful! absolut~ beautiful!

Cheers to MikeLip for the speedy shipping, yeah this wiped the 1185 off the stage:crazy::candle:

it looks like a stock minimag now beside this sucker....

Ran it for 17 minutes...the 4200K looks like 3300K to me...its so white I could not tell the difference.

theres plenty of artifacts to go around many times around this post but since its not an indoor light I'll skip it altogether:)

I can't wait until night comes along:nana:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

Cheers to MikeLip for the speedy shipping, yeah this wiped the 1185 off the stage:crazy::candle:

Ran it for 17 minutes...the 4200K looks like 3300K to me...its so white I could not tell the difference.

theres plenty of artifacts to go around many times around this post but since its not an indoor light I'll skip it altogether:)

Congratulations on your new N30.:twothumbs You will be amazed at how bright it is at night, and it might be the farthest thrower you have ever seen!

I want to hear about your impressions after you test it tonight.:)

Illum

Flashaholic
well...I'm not going to touch it at the moment...:(

at least not until I recover my vision and build a switchguard for it :ohgeez:
It needs one...badly:D

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

That's great! It's really fun to hear you guys enjoying your new lights so much. The small HID has to be one of my favorite wonders in the flashlight world.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
It is quite blinding at close range! It has the brightest spot out of all my lights when shined on a wall from a few feet away.

Patriot36
That's great! It's really fun to hear you guys enjoying your new lights so much. The small HID has to be one of my favorite wonders in the flashlight world.

:thanks::party:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
well, night finally came
there is no such thing as "too far" for this light....I swung it around hitting all the trees I can find, anything within 160 yards on my right is lit very detailed. the 4200K really does a good job in improving green color rendition :twothumbs.

In front of me theres a lake, beyond the lake is another subdivision, theres two trees beyond the lake...by google earth ones 174 yards the other being 180 yards...both tops lit up without problems.

I shot the beam down the road I live on....some 300 yards long, not a problem. heheheh...I'm going to the beach when I have the time, see if I can hit vessels coming out of the port:naughty: