N30 First Impressions

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using the strap from my Thor on the N30 so I can EDC it, it was very comfortable today as the N30 is lightweight enough that the carry strap doesn't hurt my neck.

How did you attach the strap to the N30? I've been trying to figure out some reasonable way to attach a shoulder strap w/no luck...

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
How did you attach the strap to the N30? I've been trying to figure out some reasonable way to attach a shoulder strap w/no luck...

My shoulder strap has two metal clips, so I thread one end under the handle of the N30 and attach the two clips to each other, so then I can wear it.:)

Jager

Newly Enlightened
Guys what is the L35 everyone is speaking of?

and why not the Mega Illuminator over the N30?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
the mega illuminator is for superior throw, using a large reflector hence large body & is heavy.

the L35 is here.

L35 prototype pics Here

EDIT: I'm really taken an interest in the L35, nice colour over green IMO.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

The L35 is a soon-to-be-released upgraded version of the N30. It will have longer runtime, more light output, and other upgrades.

The Mega Illuminator is a giant spotlight the size of a microwave oven, and the N30 is miniature and only a little larger than a 6 Volt floating lantern flashlight. Both are excellent lights, but they serve completely different purposes. The Mega Illuminator would put out more light and throw twice as far, while the N30 packs unbelievable power in such a small light which is perfect for every day carry, much more portable, and much lighter weight, and is more practical for standard tasks.

I have a light just as large and heavy as the Mega Illuminator called the "Professional's Favorite 17.5 million candlepower spotlight" which throws quite a bit farther than the N30 and has a much brighter hotspot, but due to its enormous size I hardly use it. However, when I just want to use an extremely powerful light and size doesn't matter, the Professional's Favorite is wonderful.

So the Mega illuminator and N30 are equally great lights, just both serving different purposes.:)

Patriot

Flashaholic

Because of its size, the Mega simply isn't practical for most mobile purposes and rarely is it an absolute necessesity to illuminate something at 700+ yards. The L35 is the ultimate form factor in a still relatively budget yet high performance HID with all the latest technologies. It produces the same about of light that the Mega, it just doesn't throw quite as far. At 1/4 the size and weight and with better run-time....I say, what a great trade-off!!!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Patriot36
Because of its size, the Mega simply isn't practical for most mobile purposes and rarely is it an absolute necessesity to illuminate something at 700+ yards. The L35 is the ultimate form factor in a still relatively budget yet high performance HID with all the latest technologies. It produces the same about of light that the Mega, it just doesn't throw quite as far. At 1/4 the size and weight and with better run-time....I say, what a great trade-off!!!

+1.:thumbsup:

That's exactly how it is with my giant Pro's Favorite 17mcp and N30; The Pro's Favorite brightly illuminates objects far over 700 yards, but there has never been a time when I actually needed that much throw for anything. The N30 is so much more practical, its wider beam is much more useful, and it is as portable and lightweight as spotlights get.:)

Thanks for the link, it looks like a very nice mod!

Jager
Thanks for the clarification!

You're welcome, and thanks Patriot and Flash!:)

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Update on N30 performance

The N30 has now proven to be an excellent EDC.
I have had no problems at all wearing it on its strap and carrying it when I run errands.
Tonight I shined it at some trees at least 600 yards away and it lit them up very brightly! I also lit up a radio tower that appeared to be around 800 yards away, what unbelievable throw for such a small light! It surprisingly out throws my 10 million candlepower Thor.
It also has amazing runtime; I used it a lot tonight and the battery check was still displaying all 4 lights before I plugged it in.
I couldn't be more impressed with it!

Patriot36 your new avatar looks great.:thumbsup:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Blue, your N30 sounds great, & wow! it out throws your 10MCP? Thats great.:huh:

Thank you! Yes, the N30 puts out nearly twice as much light as the 10 million candlepower Thor and throws quite a bit farther.

I tested the N30 against the Pro's Favorite tonight (I always have to swap the battery back and forth from the POB to the Pro's Favorite), and the Pro's Favorite had more throw and a brighter hotspot at close range, but the N30 was putting out more light and still had AMAZING throw. The N30 is by far my best light.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Congrats on your new N30 Bluebeam...now i want one :thumbsup:

Thank you!:) I do recommend you get one as its much wider, and noticeably brighter beam is superior to that of the POB.
After doing some more testing I have found the only area the N30 really falls short of the POB is in throw. It simply doesn't have the laser like throw of the POB and can't illuminate objects at the extreme distances the POB can. However, that is to be expected when comparing a light with a small reflector to a light with a huge one. The N30's reflector is only about 4" and for being so small the throw is astonishing. It has a very bright hotspot and illuminates objects at least 1/2 a mile away, but just has more of a pencil beam rather than the POB's laser like beam.
It has a TON more throw than any person with practical reasons would need, and for its size and light weight it is in a league of its own!
I have been having a blast with it every night, and it is a wonderful EDC.

Last edited:

DArklite

Enlightened
So, when are you going to install a 4300K bulb in your POB and do some comparison beamshots with the N30? :naughty:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
So, when are you going to install a 4300K bulb in your POB and do some comparison beamshots with the N30? :naughty:

I really like the blue 6000K look so I don't think I am going to do a 4300K upgrade.:) I do need to do some comparison shots though!:thumbsup:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some measured lux reading numbers that I put in the original N30 announcement thread. Since then the Mega Illuminator has come to market and it is around 7450 lux at 37.5 feet.

The AI 6000K prototype is the same as the POB.
Notice that the AI has a very slightly lower lux meaurement between these two particular models.
The reason I mention this is because the 4200K model will always outperform the 6000K model in actual real world use or in photos. That is due to how the 4200K bulb illuminates natural objects outdoors.
At the same time the 6000K bulbs produce a more noticeable beam for the giant light saber effect.
The same is true between the Mega Illuminator and my well focused Costco HID. A "15 MCP" or even "17MCP" halogen just cannot compete with a Mega illuminator in any way(throw, light output, or run time).

The N30 really is a great little light for putting loads of light out the front end in a bright spill and a useable corona and hotspot.

Reflective objects like rocks and bright towers, etc. can be seen 500+ yards out but fairly dim with and N30.
300 yards is probably it's limit for non reflective objects depending on the eye sight of the user and the darkness of the area.
We have laser sighted targets at numerous shootouts and I have done the same when testing the lights.

I am glad you really like your light.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Lux at 37' 7" this is not an arbitrary distance but the longest straight stretch in our small house.

Costco HID (good focus)----------7590
Costco HID (okay focus)----------5650
AI Proto 6000K HID---------------3401
15 MCP Thor Magnum-------------3326
AI 4200K---------------------------3204
Polarion P1-------------------------2558
X990 Spot-------------------------1963
N30--------------------------------1943
L35---------------------------------1752
10 MCP Thor Focused-------------1567
10 MCP Thor Stock----------------1486
Dorcy 3 MCP-----------------------1053
X990 Flood-------------------------977

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Thank you mtbkndad!:twothumbs

I love the blue lightsaber effect the 6000K POB makes, as none of my other lights create such a bright and visible beam in the sky.

The N30 is a wonderful light and the 4200k gives incredible illumination. I am going to get the Mega Illuminator next, as I'm sure I will be blown away by its Maxabeam like throw.:)

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends what kind of cloud, & your definition of cloud bounce

I doubt the N30 would get some action as its not super thrower.

Mega Illuminator is not bad tho.