New HL from Petzl: Pixa series

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you suppose they chose to "throttle back" the lumens and skip the heat sink? Seems odd in a marketing environment where mfgrs compete on lumens. Imagine its popularity if it would also put out 100 lumen for 4 hours or so. But 2xAA, topping out at 30 lumen? Why? All that potential, unrealized.

BTW: What's the tint like?

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pixas look and feel like pretty work-oriented lights, and I can certainly see potential attractions of a Pixa from an employer's point of view.
Longer runtime = fewer disposable cells used or fewer spare rechargeable cells needing to be around (and hence fewer going missing), and fewer opportunities for people to get some slack time by actually or supposedly running out of power.
For ATEX use, longer runtime - less need for opening in a dangerous environment.

I'm sure a decent fraction of people would use whatever light they were given at full blast most of the time. Giving them a light where there isn't a choice saves having to try and get them to do otherwise, and a light where the output was enough for the likely needs might well be just what many people would choose.

YIKES

Newly Enlightened
Why do you suppose they chose to "throttle back" the lumens and skip the heat sink? Seems odd in a marketing environment where mfgrs compete on lumens. Imagine its popularity if it would also put out 100 lumen for 4 hours or so. But 2xAA, topping out at 30 lumen? Why? All that potential, unrealized.

BTW: What's the tint like?

It's for next year's model, so now you have to buy two! Agreed that 30 lumens are too short of a great package. I'm still on on board with the 2 AA power.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I did an informal runtime/waterproofing test. Set it on the middle setting and tossed it in my 2.5 foot deep fish tank for 6 hours. After that, the battery compartment was bone dry. The lamp continued to run for another 3 hours before dropping to the reserve power mode.

Although we all wish for more lumens, this lamp is more of a Prius than a Corvette. And for a backup caving headlamp, long runtimes combined with adequate light output make this a stellar headlamp. I will cave confidently knowing that I have this for a backup when everything else fails.

But yes, I too would love to see a high power version in the future.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
I did an informal runtime/waterproofing test. Set it on the middle setting and tossed it in my 2.5 foot deep fish tank for 6 hours. After that, the battery compartment was bone dry. The lamp continued to run for another 3 hours before dropping to the reserve power mode.

What batteries did you use? Alkaline?

joegreen42

Newly Enlightened
Here is a runtime post from a UK Caving site..

OUR OWN TESTS USING DIFFERENT TYPES OF BATTERY:

NiMh Rechargeable AA Batteries: (Energizer 2500mAh) Usable Light: 11h:00m
Ran for 10h:25m on the middle 40 lumen setting before there was any noticable drop in output, which is considerably longer than expected.
00h:00m: On.
10h:25m: LED's flashed to signify end of regulated output.
10h:55m: Output had reduced significantly but still bright enough to cave on.
11h:10m: Very dim so ended the test.

Alkaline AA Batteries: (Duracell Procell) Usable Light: 8h:00m
Ran for 8h:00m on the middle 40 lumen setting before there was any noticable drop in output.
08h:00m: LED's flashed to signify end of regulated output.
08h:05m: Output had reduced significantly.
08h:20m: Very dim so ended the test.

Lithium AA Batteries: (Energizer Ultimate) Usable Light: 13h:00m
Ran for 13h:00m on the middle 40 lumen setting before there was any noticable drop in output. Not as long as we were expecting bearing in mind that the NiMh rechargables did 10h:25m. Normally there's a strong argument for lithium batteries but possibly not in the Pixa 3 unless using it in very cold conditions. This is probably something to do with the way the Pixa regulates the output.
13h:00m: LED's flashed to signify end of regulated output.
13h:10m: Output had reduced significantly.
13h:15m: Very dim so ended the test.

joegreen42

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few beam shots of the Pixa 3 with a little scotch tape added to the Flood LED...

Low (no more hot spot... well, maybe just a little one.)
_MG_7829-1.jpg

Combo
_MG_7837.jpg

Scotch tape Diffuser installed
_MG_7841.jpg

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the flood on the Pixa 3 to me looks more like the spot beam on my Storm when I use tape over it rather than like the flood mode (on the Storm).

When you use just the flood mode can you really see all around you or just in front? In other words is there any real advantage to having the flood light on when the spot light is on?

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Pixa One inbound...will let everybody know whether I enjoy it as much as I hope to!

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pleasure! Traded one of my last Favourlight Warm White Mini Lanterns for it...I'm looking forward to using the lantern around the house and during blackouts. I think in this application, the Pixa One will excel.

I'll pop back in the thread once it arrives, so stay tuned!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tuned.

Unclear above: you gave up a Favourlight lantern to get the Pixa 1? If so, hope it's a good trade. Those Favourlight warm lanterns are a near-ideal lantern IMHO.

Regarding Pixa One: You already know what I'm going to ask for but here goes anyway: Measurement of diameter of beam, and distance from wall when you took it. Would really like to know beam angle on this baby. Am hoping for something 60 degrees or larger.

yowzer

Enlightened
I played around wth a Pixa 3 recently... too bulky and not enough output levels for my tastes. Seemed well built and sturdy compared to other Petzl models, but just not my thing. I think if I worked construction I'd consider one for a hardhat, but for camping and SAR, which are my primary headlamp uses... I'll pass.