• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak AAA Run-time results

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this would be a good place to add my Eiger #2 comments and test results. On 28Sept'10 I ordered a Eiger #2 Brass with medium optic and Neutral emitter. I received the light 21Oct'10.

The medium optic is much floodier than I thought it would be, but I like it. I waffled between the Med and wide, but the wide was out of stock. I'm glad it was because the Med is plenty wide. The Med optic beam profile is almost identical to my HDS Ra170 with a SF F04 beam diffuser on it. Most people would describe that as a wall of light or pure flood, but in fact it does have a hotspot that has a very smooth transition to spill with another smooth transition at the far edge of the spill into blackness.

Tint on this "neutral" is not warm at all, it looks more like a cool white then any of the several 4sevens neutrals I've seen. It seems more like a slightly greenish pure white. Not what I was expecting but it looks a lot better than any 5mm LED I've seen though.

Output on #2 is right around 8lms compared to HDS and ARC AAA versions, which is exactly what I wanted. Something slightly dimmer than ARC AAA GS with a longer runtime.

I started test at 10pm with an Arc AAA for comparison. Unfortunately at 7am the Arc was already completely out so I don't know how long the Arc ran. Lumen values are derived from beam comparisons to HDS R170 programed levels.

Results w/ Eneloop Nimh:

Start: Eiger #2 is about 8lm.
9.0 hrs: Eiger #2 is putting out about 1.5lm in bounce test.
10.5 hrs: about .25 lm
11 hrs: about .2 lm
12 hrs: about 0.1 lm

Test stopped at 12 hrs because I could stare directly into emitter and 1% of original brightness seemed like a good place to stop, before I killed my eneloop. Voltage of Eneloop not checked because I forgot to bring my meter to work.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Done a un-scientific runtime test of my new stainless Eiger level 8. The battery was the Kirkland aaa alky that came with it. Test started at 9:56pm last night. It is 12:05pm now the next day, and the light is still going more than 14 hours later. At this point, I would say less than a half lumen. The light went almost an hour in regulation (40-50 lumens) last night before any real signs of dimming when direct drive kicked in, and was still quiet bright for the next hour (30-ish lumens). Brightness steadily declined thru the night from this point on. What really surprised me was how bright the light was while in direct drive. I could see all over my bedroom even at the lower brightness level. Looks like I can expect around 2 hours of near full brightness, and 12+ more hours of dimming good useable light. Before buying level 8, I considered a lower level for extended runtimes. Not anymore. This is the perfect keychain light for me.