• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak LED Solutions Q&A - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope Brock will post his impressions of the Matterhorn 3LED Ultra, and Gliderguy of the Carribean. I'm wondering what kind of rechargeable 123 the Carribean will take? I agree they both are tantalizing.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
the AAA's and AA can run lithiums, right?

any beam shots of a AA UP snow 29?....I just love AA lights.

edit : what are the run times for the UP and HP snow Killy's?...the site says 8 hours to %50, but for which?

final edit: do the non lug styles have a lanyard point somewhere, or does the light just sink to the bottom of your pocket?

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
txmatt said:
Sorry if I missed 'em, but are there any plans to make a 3 LED Ultra AA (Kilmanjaro) version. In the Matterhorn line, the triple LED is approximately twice the brightness with half the runtime of the single LED. If this applied to the AA lineup, a 3 LED AA Kilmanjaro Ultra would have ~100cp with a 4 hour runtime to 50% which would be a nice combination of brightness and runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that too!

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
How can I tell if I have the regular snow leds, or the new 29 snows??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
diggdug13 said:
Dallas,
could let us know when the ocean series is coming out please.

doug

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are referring to the remaining item the 1w single AAA. This is way different then normal. Last I told you guys we were working on a special optic for that unit. I have seen the prototype but the final details to put in production is still not completed yet. I am frustrated right along with you guys. I really have no idea and really do not want to guess or even if I know say because every time I do I am wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
DallasA said:
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Are all of these products in-stock and available for immediate shipment?

[/ QUOTE ]

All, except the lug style AAA.

I am aware you are waiting for some lug style bodies, should be by then end of the week.

MJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I just placed another order. Please ship this order, rather than waiting for the items in my other order to become available.

[/ QUOTE ]

As requested your order was shipped yesterday your lug bodies soon to follow.

[ QUOTE ]
CityHunter said:
Dallas

I bought a pocket AAA 3LED ultra @JUNE 29/2005 , is that new 'SNOW 29'???

Cityhunter

[/ QUOTE ]

The would have the new "Snow29"

[ QUOTE ]
Gliderguy said:
I just couldn't stand it anymore. I ordered a Caribbean.

I was trying to get a feel for the size of this light.

Go get a roll of pennies. that is almost EXACTLY the size of the light. (well the head is actually about the size of a nickle)

That is pretty small.

one question for MJ:

is the listed weights for the light with or without battery installed?

[/ QUOTE ]

More like a roll of nickels I have one sitting on a nickel out of my pocket right now on my desk.

Weights are with batteries.

[ QUOTE ]
txmatt said:
Sorry if I missed 'em, but are there any plans to make a 3 LED Ultra AA (Kilmanjaro) version. In the Matterhorn line, the triple LED is approximately twice the brightness with half the runtime of the single LED. If this applied to the AA lineup, a 3 LED AA Kilmanjaro Ultra would have ~100cp with a 4 hour runtime to 50% which would be a nice combination of brightness and runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

We do have future plans for this line however the 3 LED will not be a standard item. You can get this done this way through the custom design center. [email protected]

[ QUOTE ]
archangel said:
Dallas A -

Could you post a pic of the Green on the color page when you get a chance? I thought maybe your supplier could tell you the approx wavelengths (and beam angles) of the LEDs.

Oh, and i'll be looking forward to those "not shooting myself in the foot" directions. They'd be even more useful than a pocket torch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a picture of the Green
http://www.peakledsolutions.com/images/Color_Chart_007.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Blue said:
the AAA's and AA can run lithiums, right?

any beam shots of a AA UP snow 29?....I just love AA lights.

edit : what are the run times for the UP and HP snow Killy's?...the site says 8 hours to %50, but for which?

final edit: do the non lug styles have a lanyard point somewhere, or does the light just sink to the bottom of your pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, All of our light can run on lithium batteries.

Here is some pictures of the Snow29 LEDs

http://www.peakledsolutions.com/NichavsSnow.html

You are referring to the AA runtime that would be hi-power need to upload the ultra-power test

The one's that have lanyard holes would be the "Key Chain Style" & " Lug Style " The " Pocket Style does not.

[ QUOTE ]
bigmikey said:
How can I tell if I have the regular snow leds, or the new 29 snows??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very hard to tell unless you have a way to measure the light output. To make it easy send me and email of when you bought the light and I can look it up for you to make it simple. [email protected]

Until Next Time, have a great day! ( Had to come up with a new closer line, people have told me my other one was getting old ) LOL…./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

MJ
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sooooo... I was at work today and the guys were messing around with my LuxeonV nFlex "2D Mag" and something occurred to them that the old Rayovac 3D lights in the bug out bags are terrible.
To top it off the minimags are trash too... we need new lights and they all looked at me. Time for a little Kino Bay goodness so tomorrow I fill out paperwork. Not sure what they want for the larger lights but I bet a 1.5 watt 2AA would do it. Any idea when those come out? For now, my 8AA LuxeonV Mag, R2H Madmax+ 2D Mag and BB500 R2H minimag is performing the duties.
A new Matterhorn Ultra 3 LED is outta my pocket and I am waiting for the keychain version to become available once more.
A new country, a new group of guys to work with and the same thing happens: they want my Leatherman Charge Ti and my flashlights. The great part is the flashlights get trashed harder than they do in N TX!
The Kino Bay will be a hit when I slide it in a head strap made for the minimag.
Been reading the reviews of the Ultra and Kino Bay tonight, thanks Peak for providing the solutions for our unique problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
OK.. you'd think I'd have learned about making assumptions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The beamshot I posted above indicated that the Matterhorn single LED was a whole lot brighter than my Infinity Ultra. Those of you who've read Doug's excellent review will note that he measured the overall output as about identical. Which was puzzling.

Now in a weak defense, I had purchased the Gerber as a travel emergency backup and it had somewhat less than an hour total on the Duracell that came with it. I assumed that with its vaunted runtime and regulation that it would still be near maximum brightness when I took the shots above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

To try to understand the differences between the review and what I saw, I put fresh batteries into both, and guess what!?! Here is the beamshot, and indeed the Peak Matterhorn and Infinity Ultra are very close to identical output with fresh batteries. The Peak is on the left.
710732-Peak%20vs%20Ultra%20fresh%20batts.jpg

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a Kilmanjaro question.

In terms of runtime, how good a replacement would the Kilmanjaro in the lower power (High Power, I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif be for the old CMG plain Infinity. With the new Snow29 led, has the runtime been determined yet. There seems to be a need for a reasonable output looooooong runtime AA that will squeeze the last electron from a half dead battery that currently doesn't seem to be met.

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sarius said:

With the new Snow29 led, has the runtime been determined yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have those finished sometime this weekend…I might not get them post until Tuesday though. I was in a car accident this morning and have had to deal with insurance companies run abounds.

MJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DallasA said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sarius said:

With the new Snow29 led, has the runtime been determined yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have those finished sometime this weekend…I might not get them post until Tuesday though. I was in a car accident this morning and have had to deal with insurance companies run abounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

so far though the are very close to the same. I will not say for sure until they are complete.

Have a good weekend

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
OK.........

WHAT ARE LUMENS Vs CANDLEPOWER ?

Much has been said about lumen output of current and future LEDs. What are the differences between lumens and candlepower, and what do they mean in reference to flashlights?

Lumens is a measurement of total light output from the LED in all directions. Candlepower is a measurement of the maximum intensity at a particular area, generally after the emitted light has been focused by some device.

We feel that the more important measurement for flashlights is the candlepower output. This is an indication of how far away an object may be illuminated. There is no mathematical equation that can correlate between the two different methods of measurement. With 5 mm LEDs, a 45 degree angle of emitted light LED and a 15 degree angle of emitted light LED, both may have the same total output of 4 lumens. However the candlepower output of the 15 degree LED will have almost 10 times the candlepower measurement of the 45 degree LED. The 45 degree LED will have a wider spread of light but the 15 degree LED will illuminate an object with the same intensity, at over twice the distance.

Also an LED with a higher measured lumen output may not be able to effectively convert the light output into useful light required by general flashlight requirements. In making a choice of LEDs for the Ocean series of 1 watt + flashlights, we evaluated several different sources of LEDs. One brand had an output of 25 lumens and another had a 50 lumen output. This we were able to verify through testing. However, the output of the 50 lumen LED using collimators, lenses, or reflectors, resulted in a maximum of 350 candlepower output with a yellow center hot spot, a dark ring, followed by a white outer band. The 25 lumen LED with a reflector measured 760 candlepower, with a very useful hot spot and good even outer area light spread.

Above is our diplomatic post…..

I am trying very hard today to rest from my accident this morning, however come Monday morning I will be dropping of the following lights to LSI for there " LUMENS TEST" by foot if need be.

I have been on the phone with the company today and have made arraignment to do so on Monday. They have informed me in our long conversation that I should have the test results back in a week.

I will then post those "exact" test results here.

I am doing this as Marijane Stinebaugh individual and not Peak LED Solutions, and therefore will be paying for these out of my own personal pocket.

As Peak LED Solutions we feel that because of the very complex nature in test Lumens it is not worth the money for such testing, however I am willing to personally shell out the money for it.

The light I will dropping of are

A few of each.

AAA 1 LED Ultra-Power

AAA 3 LED Ultra-Power

Stay tuned….for upcoming results

Now back to your regular scheduled program…..

I wish all of you a safe weekend!

MJ
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
[

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, I hope you're OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif There's nothing going on here that's all that important!

Run Times, Lumens, CP's are all kinda interesting and well and good, but you do make terrific products and I think we all realize that.

Keep it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
DallasA said:

<clip>

We feel that the more important measurement for flashlights is the candlepower output. This is an indication of how far away an

<clip>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you're OK. That being said, I must admit to not reading the rest of your post after reading that sentance that I quoted.

In my opinion, keychain lights, are not candidates to put any weight in CP measurements. If you want to quote a CP comparision between an X990 and MaxaBeam, that that's useful information. As it relates to these lights (keychain sized), all CP readings do to confuse things and could be deceptive if it's not clearly stated that CP is the unit of measurement being used. You may already do that, so I won't focus on that aspect.

Expensive equipment aside, I am a believer that a standard light meter and testing rig is good enough to make "comparative" measurements between different lights. I actually have one of those test running as we speak. I'll be sharing those results over the weekend.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am with this_is_nascar regarding your statement about candlepower output. I could take a laser and shoot it at a target 1000 feet away and compare it to one of your lights and make it look like your light puts out zip. What is the point of the test? Lets try and keep the comparisons on a professional level instead of marketing hype. You made a good choice selecting LSI, the results will be impartial.

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
DallasA said:

<clip>

We feel that the more important measurement for flashlights is the candlepower output. This is an indication of how far away an

<clip>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you're OK. That being said, I must admit to not reading the rest of your post after reading that sentance that I quoted.

In my opinion, keychain lights, are not candidates to put any weight in CP measurements. If you want to quote a CP comparision between an X990 and MaxaBeam, that that's useful information. As it relates to these lights (keychain sized), all CP readings do to confuse things and could be deceptive if it's not clearly stated that CP is the unit of measurement being used. You may already do that, so I won't focus on that aspect.

Expensive equipment aside, I am a believer that a standard light meter and testing rig is good enough to make "comparative" measurements between different lights. I actually have one of those test running as we speak. I'll be sharing those results over the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what your say and agree, I am really not sure how our engineering staff meant that statement but will be sure to ask sometime Monday. For me I can really careless on how it is measured as long as it is correct.

Sense I have been in the lighting industry from flashlight, to the overall industry I have seen numerous a different styles and measurements used on test any light source, and I have come to one important conclusion for myself ( my opinion ) is that the measurements on how they are done do not really mean anything to me "personally " my concerns are dose it work, will it hold up the task I need it for, and is it worth the money I am going to pay for it. In general those personal guidelines fall for anything I buy.

However being in the position I am in I do answer and help the customer, so there for to some it matters and does not to the rest, and that is fine.

I am sorry you did not get to read the rest of the post because it would have shown as a manufacture I could careless it is more of a personal desire and nothing more.

[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
What is the point of the test? Lets try and keep the comparisons on a professional level instead of marketing hype. You made a good choice selecting LSI, the results will be impartial.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not have said it better myself….Thank you

And thank all of you guys on the warm thoughts, I am just a little scratched up and totally bent of shape right now.

Thanks again guys…..and thank you TIN for bring that to my attention.

Anyway…got no car to go any were this weekend so I will be around

Have a great night guys!

MJ
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I just got the Matterhorn AAA Ultra 3 led, that was quick. MJ I am assuming this is one of the newer ones? I am asking because either I have a really good high output 3AAA or something is not quite right. I get about 51 peak CP on my meter with the older high output version I bought in January?, then move the same battery to the new Ultra and I get 66. It is a bit more, but not quite what I had hoped. Any thoughts? I keep thinking maybe my "H" version is really good?

I haven't run time tested them yet. I will try to take a side by side tomorrow.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I finished up the 1st test of my 1xAAA Peak Ultra. I had received (2) of them and used the brightest of the two for this test. The 1st chart shows a 10-hour duration. The 2nd chart plots that same data over a 6-hour period. I will admit that I do like the tint of Snow LED. It's much whiter (although I wouldn't classify it as really white) than what I'm used to seeing in a 5mm LED.

PEAK1.JPG

PEAK2.JPG

chrisse242

Enlightened
Nice graphs t.i.n., could you repeat this with the peak running an E2-lithium? I really like this curve, looks like the peaks will last a loooong time on one cell.

Chrisse

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, this is very interesting stuff.

In your tests, the arc pretty much dies before it hits 5 hours, whereas Doug has it as as slowly sinking becoming about equal in output to the peak at about 8 1/2 hours.

Would this be pretty much normal variation in the electronics or the battery? You and Doug both seem to have found the same very flat regulation curve past 10 hours in the peak. I'd be really interested to see just how far it does go, which would be particularly interesting if you're using it both as an edc and emergency light. Given the difference we see in the lithium results with the arc, it would be interesting to see how the peak performs with one also.

Thanks again for doing and posting this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.