• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak LED Solutions Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think I'd get rid of the low and high power options as standard inventory. If you don't want to overdrive, just run at the manufacturer's spec of 30 mA or whatever. There's not enough difference between 20 mA and 30 mA to bother stocking both versions, especially for the 20 mA multi-LED light (someone wanting less output will go for a single led). I could see some virtue to an "extended runtime" single-LED light at about 10 mA though, filling in for the lamented CMG Infinity (non-Ultra).

Anyone got runtime graphs of the current products? I remember the early ones having not-so-great electronics.

I'm interested to find out about the 1x123 light with the spare cell. I've been asking for something like that for a while here on CPF. Although, I think it would be nicer using CR2 rather than 123, for a smaller light.

I'm hoping you don't actually stock 660 types of completed lights, but rather have a few dozen types of machined parts (counting all the different finishes), a few dozen PC boards, and mix and match the boards with the metal parts as the orders come in. Maybe you can post about your processes sometime.

Finally I hope you offer some silver colored lights sometime. It looks nicer than gold-plating in my opinion.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJ,
Great news! Now I know more about drive levels concerning red LEDs, thanks for the explaination. My wife bought me that light because I am going to a place that a higher power red LED light can be used. Since morters are aimed at bright, white lights... red is a better option.
I'll give it a workout and let you and CPF know how well it works in sand, dust, heat, rain, sand storms, daily showers and 200--500 hours of use over a 4 month time span. Thousands of other people will get to play with it (I was known as the guy with the bright, bluish minimag last year in the sandbox) Just wondering if you ship to APO AE (or whatever it is now) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
A double ended 5 LED red and one LED red would be great--if it used a AA battery. Lithium batteries are a no-no (I will sneak the lithium AAs inside about 5 flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif )Oh well, can't have it all I guess. I should get the light in the mail tomorrow, get to play with it for 6 weeks then actually use it for 4 months.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree with ditching the 20mA option on the multi-LED
lights.

Unless you are selling them based on run time
people will not pick a dimmer light. And if they do
they will pick the single LED one. So single LED may
be the only place where the 20mA is a good option to
have.

Greg

stockwiz

Enlightened
I agree. There isn't enough of a difference between the LED life when driven at 30ma as opposed to 20ma. To save yourselves money, I'd eliminate the 20ma as an option and just go 30 ma for all of them.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the difference between the 20ma and 30 ma models is just placing a jumper somewhere on a circuit.

In case you haven't noticed, Peak appears to like lots of options. Lol. I have ordered from them, and they were in stock.

I have no problem with more options, if they can keep stock: so far there hasn't been a problem. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

My 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
...Lithium batteries are a no-no...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious why the Lithiums are a no-no? Are they worried you might be mixing up a big batch of crank? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy at the military side of the airport was digging through my bag looking for lithium batteries, he explained it like this: It would seem that lithium batteries can burn/explode etc and they don't want them on military aircraft for obvious reasons. Way back when dirt was young, a lithium battery caught fire/exploded and made a rather large mess of an aircraft, they banned them after that.

That ban continues to this day, I was checked last year in Germany (after my flight BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif ) This time, I will "hide" my AA lithiums inside flashlights (sneaky, no?) I will have my usual alkaline and NiMH AA batteries for cover.

Imagine if you were going to a place with no light for 4 months. A flashaholics dream in a way. If you took an Arc4+, Surefire L4 and an Inova X5 with red LEDs, they look for those types and try to find the lithium 123a batteries. I would imagine taking at least 48 or more 123a batteries with me so they would be hard to hide.

My brass Peak 5 red LED light will be the only one running the lithiums so the 8 lithium AAs should last me 4 months. The Arc AAA red runs alkalines and the minimags use NiMH so I will be set.

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Just wondering if you ship to APO AE (or whatever it is now) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:Maybe you can post about your processes sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifGive me a few days to get a few things finished around here and I will me more then happy to.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally I hope you offer some silver colored lights sometime. It looks nicer than gold-plating in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

We will be offer Stainless steel soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif If you are meaning in a dye version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Don't think anytime soon at this point.

DallasA

Enlightened
Hello Everyone:

What to give a short update. All items are now up on our website. Hope everyone has a great weekend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MJ

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea, grouping the lights by battery type.
Neat idea, having lots of options. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Question one: are these "twisty" only?
Question two: are there any plans for Luxeons?

coachbigdog

Enlightened
luxeon!luxeon!luxeon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the multi-LED lights. The only Luxeon that would really get me excited would be a 5 watt.

DallasA

Enlightened
Stainless,

Yes, at this time all of our lights are twist on/off.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif YES! Luxeon is in the future as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gifMJ

Kiessling

Flashaholic
To sum up some recent tendencies on CPF, the HOT things are:
- multi-brightness lights
- small Luxeon lights
- maybe exotic materials and finishing (where you are good at!)
The first two might be interesting paths to pursue ...
bernhard

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon AAA,
Sounds good! Make mine a 150mA aluminum head with a stainless body. Thanks for the heat shrink for my brass 5 red LED AA, BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rdshores said:
How about making a AAAA body that will take the AAA heads. Maybe out of brass.

[/ QUOTE ]

We recently had a request for this in our Custom Design Center. At this time we are working very hard on bring out all the new thing we have in store for the future.

This is a good idea how ever for a single unit to be made up would have extreme cost involvement. If this was made up in a multitude of units the cost involvement would come down a great deal.

Example on this unit:

This would require are design team and engineering team to spend about 1-2 days in putting this project together. Then it would be sent in to our processing department to be made, were the program to manufacture this unit would need to be created. If there is plating ( Finish /color ) then it will have to go through that stage as well. ( Brass would not have to go through a plating process )

For us to be able to give a reasonable quote to one item. Well lets just say, if I was getting the quote my better half would tell me no way, and I work for the company LOL.

On a single unit like this we would quote like this:

Set up and design charge would apply. Plus the unit cost. The Set up charge is a one time deal. There for if the customer later on made a request for more units they would only pay the Unit cost.

Something like this would be great on a group buy or if someone planed to resale the unit(s).

At this time I do not see this being made as standard item. That's not to say that we can not make it.

If you like you could see how many people would be interested in buying a unit like this and we could quote it on group buy.

And we would be more then happy to draw up a quote in a bulk break down for you. Something like this 0-20 units, 20-50 units, ect.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gifMJ

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
To sum up some recent tendencies on CPF, the HOT things are:
- multi-brightness lights
- small Luxeon lights
- maybe exotic materials and finishing (where you are good at!)
The first two might be interesting paths to pursue ...
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif- multi-brightness lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif- small Luxeon lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.