Pila IBC Charger Compendium

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: PILA IBC Charger

Hello WildChild,

The proper procedure for inserting a cell into a holder (both for charging and for using) is to insert the cell, then turn it in place about 1/4 turn. This breaks up any oxidation at the contacts and minimizes resistance issues.

You still have to clean the battery contacts from time to time, but it goes a long way toward minimizing resistance problems.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Flashlight Aficionado,

Here is the spacer I use for R-CR123 charging...

Spacer.jpg

this is used in combination with the supplied spacer that comes with the charger.

The one for 10440 cells is the same style, but is a little shorter and is used without the supplied spacer.

Tom

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello WildChild,

The proper procedure for inserting a cell into a holder (both for charging and for using) is to insert the cell, then turn it in place about 1/4 turn. This breaks up any oxidation at the contacts and minimizes resistance issues.

You still have to clean the battery contacts from time to time, but it goes a long way toward minimizing resistance problems.

Tom

Thanks for the hint!

Bones

Enlightened

Hello Flashlight Aficionado,

Here is the spacer I use for R-CR123 charging...

[image]

this is used in combination with the supplied spacer that comes with the charger.

The one for 10440 cells is the same style, but is a little shorter and is used without the supplied spacer.

Tom

Thanks for the image SilverFox.

Is it reasonable to presume that the bolts are cut to length, and the nuts tightened down to ensure a good connection?

Also, I was browsing for a similar set-up a while ago, and found what I needed in solid brass, solid stainless steel and chrome plating.

Any thoughts on which would provide the best connection with minimal pressure?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Bones,

Yes, my nut fits tightly on the bolt. I used brass. I don't know if it is the best, but I like brass, and it was available.

Tom

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option may be to use a AW CR123 dummy cell filed down a little for just the right overall length when combined with the RCR123 cell.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
  • Stage 4 – Standby mode, trickle charge (Stats say this, but it does not trickle charge)
Technically, what happens is charging terminates when 4.2V is reached. Thereafter, there is voltage sensing and if it drops to 4.17 - 4.18V, it starts charging up to 4.2V again. It should not be called "Trickle Charging" since this was first designed and used in NiMH charging, and implies continuous, low voltage charging.

On your point #3, you may wish to give a little more specific information because you mentioned "chemistries."

There are various types of Lithium Ion battery chemistries. It works on typical (Pila, AW) Lithium Cobalt Ion, and also the new safe chemistry Lithium Manganese Ion (Emoli, Konion) that are made in 18650 size.

It does not work on the Lithium Iron Phosphate (A123, Saphion, etc.) Ion which is also in 18650 size, but have the 3.0 to 3.3V range.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Legendcpf,

I believe Flashlight Aficionado answered your question.

Basically, I charge until the green light indicates that the charge is complete. I also happen to set a back up timer to remind me that I have cell charging, but I don't use this as the primary charge termination. It is just a back up reminder.

I set that timer for (1.5 * capacity of the cell)/ charge rate.

Tom

kurni

Enlightened
Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for the info, I learned a lot.

I cannot determine from the pictures if it will charge AW's 14670 without nipple. It's not a dealbreaker, I just want to know if I should purchase a magnet.

Thanks again,
Kurni

Edwood

Enlightened
Nice consolidated thread. Perhaps this one can be a sticky?

I'd recommend adding info about making an adapter for charging AW "C" sized Li-Ion cells as well.

-Ed

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for the info, I learned a lot.

I cannot determine from the pictures if it will charge AW's 14670 without nipple. It's not a dealbreaker, I just want to know if I should purchase a magnet.

Thanks again,
Kurni

Should be ok, it has "raised" plus terminals, don't need magnets.

lengendcpf

Enlightened
Hello Legendcpf,

I believe Flashlight Aficionado answered your question.

Basically, I charge until the green light indicates that the charge is complete. I also happen to set a back up timer to remind me that I have cell charging, but I don't use this as the primary charge termination. It is just a back up reminder.

I set that timer for (1.5 * capacity of the cell)/ charge rate.

Tom

Thanks Tom..