Search & Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Re: Search & Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

I had hoped to spend 110-175. If I can get it on sale cheaper, then that would be awesome. I am not expecting this to be an EDC light at all. This will be carried when I expect to be outdoors for a while, and in the right environment that this light would benefit me. Of course it will be a search type light, first and foremost. I am not looking for a disco light at all. But if I could get a white light, that has a red filter, that would be great. I definitely do not need a strobe light on this flash light.

Kkay, you made some reasonable requests. But then your wants get a little scattered. Sorry.

How much are you willing to spend?

An Xml2 is pretty tough to beat in balance of throw and flood.
If you want a tighter beam, an xpg2 led based flashlight would be a good bet.
Downside is that you will lose some sheer flood lighting.
Are expecting this to be edc?

What you're asking for is something with power when needed with adequate spill .
Two/three mode light should hit the spot
Another option would be to find a larger reflector with an Xml2 led and you might be happy with the extra throw/flood that you're looking for.

If you're looking for a disco light, red,blue,green I'll defer that question to someone else.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Re: Search & Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

Not what the OP is looking for but a Nitecore HC90 headlamp has all four; Red, Blue, Green and 1000 lm white. The OP already has a pair of headlamps.

Parrot Quack, EXACTLY!

<<<"Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh" are only 10 bucks a pop at Mtn Electronics - Utah USA.

Thanks,
-Chuck>>>
Thank you Chuck, I will make a note of it. It seems that particular lights will not hold all batteries made in 18650 mode. I have a protected Keep Power 18650 2600 that is too large for all my lights but one, and that is an extremely tight fit. So I don't use it at the moment. I just bought it for a sample and to see how it worked, before I bought more. I bought a pair of EagleTac 3100, and so far it has done well, and fit the light I bought it for. But even it seemed larger than I thought it would be. I normally have unprotected batteries, because I vape. So I will have to make sure before I order any other batteries, that it will indeed fit, or ask somebody who has that light, if it will fit. But the price of 10 dollars is very reasonable. Thank you.

insanefred

Enlightened
Re: Search &amp; Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

I hope I am not too late to respond!

I am involved in search and rescue here in Oregon for my local county. Depending how much gear you are actually needing to carry already. I personally wouldn't carry anything heaver than a Jetbeam HC20 as my back up (in fact, I think that is even too heavy and looking for a replacment). Maybe have one in my ready bag just in case I feel that I really need it. Personally, I am every fond of Zebralights because how light weight, versatile, and great UI that have. Perhaps wait for the SC600w Mk III HI to be released or the H600 MKii or MKiii (when it gets released)

As for bugs trying to bite you, I assume you mean mosquitoes, I don't see how having a red light is going to help, it's also just going to really limit your choices . If they are hungry, they will get to me.. err... I mean you. Yes, they go after me like there is no tomorrow. Especially my damn ankles, getting me through my socks... HOW!:thinking: I had to get some spray on premathrin to treat my socks just for them!

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened

Fred, you are not too late. I will look at those mentioned.

The bugs are way more than mosquitoes. If you go outside where I live with bright light, bugs will flock to you. That means all kinds of bugs. Have you ever been fishing on the water side of a lake at night, with an old Coleman lantern? If you recall that, you will know what I mean. My porch light most often uses a yellow bug light. But even that doesn't entirely stop them. When you open the door at night, the bugs come in with you. When you have a campfire, it repels bugs mostly. But a bright light here just calls bugs from a distance towards you. They get in your face, and land on you. Even the bug spray doesn't entirely drive them away. Those bugs are annoying, and can actually effect your vision, there will be so many of them. Yes, you can get them in your eyes even. (especially if you are near a lake, or river etc...)

jso902

Enlightened

Lol I was joking about the disco lights.
I would stick with the Xml2 and just find a larger reflector.
Customlites by Dave has some.
I recommended him because I like his service.
Subtract the name brand and you can get some good light output for the price.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

My set of disco lights just arrived and the batteries are in the charger as I'm waiting for a battery to warm up from being stored in the crisper drawer in the kitchen.

My step-son is PD and step-grandson is Air Force IT.......nobody cares about my stupid flashlights or batteries. :p

kkay

Newly Enlightened

I didn't find Customlites by Dave. What would I put the XML2 on exactly? (and a bigger reflector) I figured you were kidding about the disco lights. I don't need a bunch of colors. But the red would be a nice addition, if I can get it. I don't HAVE to have it, but I'd LIKE TO have it.

I would stick with the Xml2 and just find a larger reflector.
Customlites by Dave has some.
I recommended him because I like his service.
Subtract the name brand and you can get some good light output for the price.

Good luck.

jso902

Enlightened
He goes by the cpf name of nailbender.

Tell him the light you have and he may be able to give you a recommendation of what to buy.
My understanding was that you liked your current one, but wanted a little more throw when needed.

He also has various color temperatures so you don't have to have day white or incandescent yellow.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
I took a look at that, and I will investigate it further. That is a good deal alright. :)

Agreed on the price of batteries but I see it as the price of the hobby when compared to the price of a decent snow blower or a 225HP outboard motor. Even the price of Chinese food has gone through the roof. :D Everybody wants your money and nobody loves you when you're broke. I understand. :D

All I can recommend is what I currently know, Nitecore products. And a two battery, 18650 light, the EC4, with a set of batteries and a good charger is a hundred dollars.

There are beam shots at the end of this review.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, I will look at it jso902. I have quite a list of things to explore.

Here are my notes on what I am currently looking at, it is mostly names. Some have already been discounted.
Flashlight Comparison for Search light

Ultrafire XML T6 is my outside light for dogs, compare to ones below.

It was suggested that I find a Xml2 with a larger reflector
cpf name of nailbender.

Tell him the light you have and he may be able to give you a recommendation of what to buy.
My understanding was that you liked your current one, but wanted a little more throw when needed.
He also has various color temperatures so you don't have to have day white or incandescent yellow.

ArmyTek Barracuda v2

Malkoff Hound Dog
2 18650's or 4x123 in the MD4 body.
Separate light for filters

Nitecore HC90 headlamp

ThruNite TN32
requires 3 batteries

NITECORE EC4 1000 Lumen CREE XM-L2

Uses 2 batteries
see awesome review below:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?405303-Nitecore-EC4-die-cast-XM-L2-%28U2%29-2x18650-max-1000-lumens-%28beam%29shots-compare

Olight M3XS-UT

Olight M23 Javelot

Fenix TK51

Uses 3 18650 or 6 CR123

He goes by the cpf name of nailbender.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Well now I see that a green light is supposed to be good for not attracting insects. A blue one is good for tracking blood. If someone was injured, this might be the best color to track them with. So I can buy one with filters, that can be taken on, or off. So maybe that disco light joke wasn't too far off. I knew the red light didn't attract them nearly as much as the white light. But now I see there are advantages for each color. (green and blue as well)

I have it narrowed down to four now, unless someone else has another one for me to check out. These are not in order of preference, on this list.
ArmyTek Barracuda v2
Fenix TK51
Malkoff Hound Dog
Olight M3XS-UT

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened

I was all set to get them, until I saw the length. They are going to be a little bit too long. I made my decision, and it isn't even the list here....it is an Eagle Tac. I am going to be looking for a sale, at a dependable dealer. Getting the light isn't too bad. But throw in the batteries, and that is gonna be rough. The light I chose will need 3x18650 batteries. (or 6 CR123a) I will have to get only one set of batteries at first. Then later pick up the other 3. Luckily I do have a few CR123A's laying around here. I could get the batteries unprotected, as that would fit. I would rather not do that though. I wish the battery makers, and the flashlight makers, would get together, and come up with a doable compromise. I won't hold my breath on that though.

"Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh" are only 10 bucks a pop at Mtn Electronics - Utah USA.

Thanks,
-Chuck

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the bugs are water beetles,
Don't wear open top or loose shirt collars.
(Worst insect bite/sting known to man)
Getting to be migration time of year for them in NA.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish the battery makers, and the flashlight makers, would get together, and come up with a doable compromise. I won't hold my breath on that though.

They have, but it's going cost ya. :p

kkay

Newly Enlightened

Well I thought someone might ask my decision. I had decided the Eagle Tac MX25L3 MT-G2 P0 LED. I just knew that was the one. It wasn't everything I wanted, but it would work. I even saw it on sale. Then I found out why. They have a newer version which is the M30L3 XH-P50. Decisions will have to be made between the two. I am not finding any reviews on You Tube, or online really either. I did look at the M25L3 with outside comparisons, which really help. That is why I chose the MT-G2, even though it might not put out as much as the alternative. But for the quality, I like it better. I am glad that I have time on my hands, to figure it out. I liked the fact the earlier model had the different color filters. The newer model has a diffuser filter. I tried to see if that was in colors too, but I don't think it is. If anyone knows, please fill me in. It looks like the newer model will run about 175 with free shipping. It is 5 more dollars than suggested retail from the Eagle Tac site. They say the newer model is a big jump up from the previous model. But at this point, I don't know if the money difference is worth it. I am open to thoughts about it. Thank you.

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened

Well I just ordered the light. I wasn't in a rush, but I found a Eagle Tac MX25L3C XP-G2 kit on a good clearance sale. I had to pick it up. I came out of this a lot cheaper than I feared. So I am very happy. I cannot wait to get this thing! This should do me for quite some time. Don't laugh, I am serious! :grin2:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad you found what sounded good to you. Please let us know how you like it and how it works for you. We all offer advice, but seldom get any feedback once the decision is made and the light tested.

kkay

Newly Enlightened

I sure will. I had looked at a comparison between the XP-G2 and the Nichia 219 this evening in the compact model. I decided between those two, for my needs, the XP-G2 would work out a little better. But I was still undecided about which one to get. I thought, well time will go by, and I might run across a deal. I was about to go crazy looking at this type, with so many choices. I knew the MX25L3 series were probably going to be cheaper soon, before the next ones rolled out, and reviews were made. But I didn't expect it to come upon me so quickly. If I ask for advice, and all, I do give my opinion, of what I decided upon. I do love the Nichia 219 though. That is the type of LED I have in my EDC flashlight. I have no idea how long it will take this new light to get to me. But I hope it is QUICK.