• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

SKV89

Enlightened
Since it should be pretty easy to do, can you pop in a 12x pill in the black, raw polished, and clear anodized host and post some numbers?

When I bought the E21A modded Tiaras from Clemence, he offered the option to add white potted compound but he warned that the white compound is more reflective and makes the moonlight modes much brighter and might be too bright for some customers liking.q

SKV89

Enlightened
Please do not ship mine yet. I want you to ship it along with the pill but I haven't found the emitter yet.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Just checked...Serial 056 is in transit...I think you got one of the cool Clear

SKV89

Enlightened
Just checked...Serial 056 is in transit...I think you got one of the cool Clear

Received it and it is a good bit larger and chunkier than I imagined. Looks more like a 26650 light. Feels very solid and substantial in the hand, which I can see why it can sustain so much abuse. The mass should allow this to handle turbo a very good amount of time though I haven't tested that yet. Given the thickness and weight, I doubt a copper version would be feasible.

I took some measurements with the Texas Ace Lumen Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights. Readings taken at 2 seconds from startup:

Highest mode5206 lumens7583KDUV -0.0029CRI 73.9R9 -4.1R12 46Rg 68Rf 97
2nd mode1142 lumens7373KDUV -0.002CRI 73.6R9 -6.5R12 45.5Rg 68Rf 97
lowest mode32 lumens6592KDUV 0.002CRI 76.8R9 -3.1R12 45.4Rg 73Rf 95

The P60 pill is a lil vortex with 8x XP-L HI in the outer ring & 4x XP-L HD at the center. Battery was a fully charged 30T. Keep in mind the TA lumen tube measures mules and wide flooders lower than throwers. Actual lumens should be 6k+.

Vinh, I'm wondering if you know where to find a white or clear o-ring to replace the black one between the bezel and glass?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Received it and it is a good bit larger and chunkier than I imagined. Looks more like a 26650 light. Feels very solid and substantial in the hand, which I can see why it can sustain so much abuse. The mass should allow this to handle turbo a very good amount of time though I haven't tested that yet. Given the thickness and weight, I doubt a copper version would be feasible.

I took some measurements with the Texas Ace Lumen Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights. Readings taken at 2 seconds from startup:

Highest mode5206 lumens7583KDUV -0.0029CRI 73.9R9 -4.1R12 46Rg 68Rf 97
2nd mode1142 lumens7373KDUV -0.002CRI 73.6R9 -6.5R12 45.5Rg 68Rf 97
lowest mode32 lumens6592KDUV 0.002CRI 76.8R9 -3.1R12 45.4Rg 73Rf 95

The P60 pill is a lil vortex with 8x XP-L HI in the outer ring & 4x XP-L HD at the center. Battery was a fully charged 30T. Keep in mind the TA lumen tube measures mules and wide flooders lower than throwers. Actual lumens should be 6k+.

Vinh, I'm wondering if you know where to find a white or clear o-ring to replace the black one between the bezel and glass?

I think we can get that Oring in white or clear. Not sure if they will still be viton though. I will look for yah.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
For Size Comparison
82nvY30.jpg

pB8MqN9.jpg

MJPDXBj.jpg

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I am building a series of my favorite P60vn for my personal SLN collection. I will finally make an official review video for it.

After some clarification between the shop and I I found out that the Torture sample was a 7075 sample not a 6061. I will clarify this in the video. Guess what my favorite 4 P60vn will be for the video!

7075 Twisty tail is in line for production. I am huge fan of mechanical simplicity so I am very impatient to have this tail cap in so I can carry it.

(Love the 47 BoltVN for its mechanical operation too!)

I am also considering a 6061 Chinese version of the SLN to drop cost. Expect a weaker metal, less strong anodization, laser prints instead of machine engraving, but may be a bit better heat sinking. From my experience Chinese 6061 doesnt seem as strong as USA 6061 but who knows...this version will of course cut the price of the host from $250 to about $150. Please let me know ur input on this decision/matter.

Also "Made in USA" is engrave on our current version. If the Chinese version is made should I also laser engrave "Made in China" on it? I personally would like to represent and be proud of my product for whatever it is but this is not a common practice in the flashlight world. Please give me some inform ethical and business advice.

Last edited:

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most of us assume a flashlight is made outside of the U.S. unless we specifically are looking for a USA made light. Me personally, I don't think the light needs to be marked made in China; just on your sales page when you are listing the specs of the light.

The development of a near bomb proof light is quite the achievement, but for the price I'll not likely use it as my needs don't demand it. $150 is little more friendly to my budget. Besides, just because it's not made of 7075 doesn't mean it won't be a quality light.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
If there is hesitation in proudly permanently engraving and advertising the manufacturing location, it might be worthwhile to pause and consider the overall SLN and V54 brand. Getting as many V54 lights into the hands of as many people as possible is a worthy goal which I can respect, and that mission would require one set of design and manufacturing choices. That mission would put V54 in direct competition with almost every other flashlight manufacturer, and demand that the lights compete partially based on their price. If done right, it might result in a company with more impressive volume numbers and higher profit, with lower per-light profit margins. There are of course risks with this branding approach, which can all be addressed and mitigated as production ramps up from boutique-level volumes up to levels that would be competitive with larger manufacturers.

Another approach would be to be very clear that the brand represents "no compromises," and does not compete on price. Some people will always gripe about the price, but the mission of the brand would be more to recruit brand loyalists who are attracted to vertical integration, customization, innovation, personal service, and the artistic nature of the lights. There are of course other examples of successful manufacturers (lights and other products) which have made this choice and are successfully unapologetic about price and low volumes.

And, of course, it isn't a binary choice--there are infinite combinations of strategies. One method that companies use is of course to have different products. For example, the "SLN Genesis" brand could be defined as "the highest performance built-to-order 21700 P60 host ever manufactured," while the "SLN Exodus" brand could be defined as "the highest performance P60 hosts ever sold for $95" (or whatever the price point).

There are many companies that have their high-priced custom lines as well as their mass-produced lines, and find success doing both. It is hard to have a small and efficient company that has a mission statement with multiple sentences; but, it has been done. And, I would be the last person to doubt your ability to do whatever you set your mind to, Vinh!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I will likely keep SLN as top of the line Made in USA Project and expand on that. I will have to seek a more profiting project that is more budget friendly later. It will be a new light.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Available Serials:

039. Matte Black Anodized
040. Matte Black Anodized
041. Matte Black Anodized
043. Matte Black Anodized
046. Matte Black Anodized
047. Matte Black Anodized
048. Matte Black Anodized
049. Matte Black Anodized

058. Flat Dark Earth +$65
059. Hypershift Blue/Purple + Extra Clear Coat +$85

pGfVN03.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Highly recommended. I paired mine with a P60 TripleVn, and am very happy with the light. Big, beefy chunk of beautifully machined and ano'd aluminum. It's nice to see someone carrying the flame for the P60 format. :thumbsup: And it's certainly not going to break... :nana: :grin2:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Available Serials:

039. Matte Black Anodized
040. Matte Black Anodized
041. Matte Black Anodized
043. Matte Black Anodized
046. Matte Black Anodized
047. Matte Black Anodized
048. Matte Black Anodized
049. Matte Black Anodized

058. Flat Dark Earth +$65