Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

I am just guessing, but does it only flicker in the colored LED, or both colored and white? I am the OP and want to know before I buy two of each color.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am just guessing, but does it only flicker in the colored LED, or both colored and white? I am the OP and want to know before I buy two of each color.
It does it on low white and low yellow-green on mine.

Edit: I just tried it again. Mine is flickering on high yellow–green as well as both low modes.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast

There were reports of E1D's that flickered on low when released, perhaps it's the same issue. I don't think these lights use PWM do they?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

I only notice mine occasionally. It'll be something that I'm like "Wait.. Did it just flicker?" moreso than anything else. it doesn't bother me much cause like I said, I just notice it for a split second. I can see PWM in Nitecore flashlights and others like that. So if this is PWM, it is very high frequency because to me it isn't noticeable but occasionally. If it's flicker.. Well I hope it's not flicker.. I wouldn't be the happiest in the world if I heard that a $300 flashlight flickers.

bovie

Newly Enlightened

I only notice mine occasionally. It'll be something that I'm like "Wait.. Did it just flicker?" moreso than anything else. it doesn't bother me much cause like I said, I just notice it for a split second. I can see PWM in Nitecore flashlights and others like that. So if this is PWM, it is very high frequency because to me it isn't noticeable but occasionally. If it's flicker.. Well I hope it's not flicker.. I wouldn't be the happiest in the world if I heard that a $300 flashlight flickers.

@BugoutBoys what secondary color do you have?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT][FONT=.SFUIText]After owning all the yellow-green flashlights that SureFire has offered over the years, as well as being a huge fan of the original A2 Aviators, I was really excited for this light. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Over the past few weeks, I have ordered and tried FOUR yellow-green Aviators and have returned all four.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Here is a quick rundown:[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #1: flickering on low modes and big fingerprint on the reflector, inside the sealed head[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #2: no flicker, but "bubble" imperfection in the glass lens resulting in a dark spot in the spill beam[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #3: no flicker, but same issue as #2 (slightly not as bad though)[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #4: bad flickering on both low modes as well as high yellow-green

One good thing to note is that the white has been pure white with no green or other undesirable tints on any of my four copies.[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]At this point, I'm done. I'm out ~$25 in return shipping fees to various online dealers. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I've owned over 40 SureFires over the past 10 years and have never been so frustrated and disappointed in a light that I was so excited to get. 4/4 with quality control issues is pretty bad.[/FONT][/FONT]

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am so grateful for CPF and its members; this light is off my list now. I would have been CRUSHED to pay $300 for a PWM light with dirty, flawed lenses and flickering. I, too, was pretty stoked about the new Aviator.

bovie

Newly Enlightened

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]After owning all the yellow-green flashlights that SureFire has offered over the years, as well as being a huge fan of the original A2 Aviators, I was really excited for this light. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Over the past few weeks, I have ordered and tried FOUR yellow-green Aviators and have returned all four.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Here is a quick rundown:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #1: flickering on low modes and big fingerprint on the reflector, inside the sealed head[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #2: no flicker, but "bubble" imperfection in the glass lens resulting in a dark spot in the spill beam[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #3: no flicker, but same issue as #2 (slightly not as bad though)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Aviator YG #4: bad flickering on both low modes as well as high yellow-green

One good thing to note is that the white has been pure white with no green or other undesirable tints on any of my four copies.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]At this point, I'm done. I'm out ~$25 in return shipping fees to various online dealers. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I've owned over 40 SureFires over the past 10 years and have never been so frustrated and disappointed in a light that I was so excited to get. 4/4 with quality control issues is pretty bad.[/FONT][/FONT]

That's depressing. I've never seen a quality on any of my 10+ surefire lights. :-( I wonder if the red or Amber have the same issues or if these problems will get fixed over in the next few months.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

The QC/Quality has been getting worse recently in my subjective opinion - I had issues with my new Titan AAA (totally unreliable mode switching) and for example a lot of new Surefire XC1 are suffering from reliability issues. Sorry for going a little off-topic, but I wanted to share my frustration :-/.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe the circuit needs tweaking with the newer dual color LEDs.
I guess they adapted the V1 drivers for use with these A2s.

Only flickering I've seen on dual mode models I have(E1B, E1D, L1, G2XLE and LX2) was on the LX2, and that was using 16650s, but not with CR123. My TitanA has been reliable and flicker free as well.

Hope this get resolved.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope the other Aviator owners can chime in, especially those with the other secondary led colors particularly amber and red. So far what I know (or assume) from this thread is the Y/G has flickering. Thanks to those who reported this, of course to CPF.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope the other Aviator owners can chime in, especially those with the other secondary led colors particularly amber and red. So far what I know (or assume) from this thread is the Y/G has flickering. Thanks to those who reported this, of course to CPF.

I've been leery of the new Aviators after reading here of recent problems with the Vampires having similar mechanical LED switching:

I have had more problems out of vampire series lights than any other light I've ever owned. I had to send my M952v in twice. Bought an X300v from Optics planet and sent it back immediately it wouldn't work in the cold (less than 40 degrees it stopped working). Sent it to optics planet they sent me another one it's worked well on my Glock for about 6 months and just the other day I notice a dark spot in the middle of the beam. Look at the diode and there is a black spot on it.
Should I send it back to Surefire?

Geez..I've had the same problems with vampires, I've had 3, count 3 952vs, this last time I sent in my 952v surefire sent a m600 vampire. Worked fine for a few weeks, then it started acting goofy on IR. Sometimes it would "strobe" while in IR mode. I don't know what's going on over at surefire these days but I find myself using surefire lights alot less these days.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh darn, my Y/G shipped from optics planet so I'll report my findings here. I can also host some high res pictures for everyone to check out.

bovie

Newly Enlightened

I currently have a Surefire EB1 200/5 (Though the 5 really feels like 15 or 20. lumen with the clicky tailcap and find it the perfect EDC for me but I'd love to have the secondary color of the new Aviator. I was planning on buying YG based on runtimes but with all the recent reports I'm thinking Red or Amber. So I second the recent questions. Any problems with the Red or Amber from those owners? Anyone own both a Amber and a Red?