SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite!

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The evolution of my EDC E2e...

e2estage1.jpg

E2e bought new (along with an E1e for my wife) in 2002.

e2estage2.jpg

A KL1 head replaced the stock incan bezel and lamp immediately. I carried it this way for a year or so.

e2estage3.jpg

A KL4 head replaced the KL1 and a Z57 clicky tailcap replaced the stock Z52 twisty. (Yeah, should have just got an L4 from the get-go.) I carried it this way for a couple years.

e2estage4.jpg

A McTC/McClicky combo replaced the Z57. I've tried many other tailcaps on the E2e over the years, but nothing feels more comfortable to me than the McTC. The McClicky didn't last too long...

e2estage5.jpg

A 22ohm McE2S switch replaced the McClicky and a long clip from an E2o replaced the stock short clip. I love the feel and functionality of the McClicky, but the 2-stage switch is ultimately more beneficial to me. I carried it this way for another couple years.

e2estage6.jpg

An ARC mania-modded KL4 head (U-bin SSC P4, stock reflector, SDC1000) replaced the previous KL4 - the beam of which had turned into a funky mash of white, purple and yellow (Go Vikes!) - and a 60ohm McE2S switch replaced the previous 22ohm McE2S. I've been carrying it this way for the last two years.

The E2e's taken a lot more abuse than the pics show, but it's also been remarkably durable. Up until about a year ago, it was carried in a large pocket of my gym bag and bounced around with lots of other stuff (keys, knife, change, etc), but it's somehow almost unscathed.

I haven't gotten the itch to upgrade the head again. For my EDC needs, this current set-up is almost perfect.

7/2/09 Update (well, that didn't last long):
A darkzero-modded KL4 head (MC-E M-bin, stock driver, extra stippled reflector) replaced the ARC mania-modded KL4. I love the old head, but I got a good deal on the new one, and I prefer the extra flood of the MC-E to the extra throw (relatively) of the SSC P4.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have become a fan of the E-series. See my ~300L Avatar.
This is a list of parts I use to keep track of them. I routinely mix-n-match all of them.

Surefire E-series & L1 parts
L1 gen 1 ML1 SSC USW0I Carclo 6° optic
L1 gen 1 ML1 K2 TFFC TV0D Carclo 6° optic
L1 gen 2 ML1 KL1 optic DatiLED SSC S2 Natural SS0/SR0?
L1 Cree 10/65L WC?
KX2b two stage (3/65L) Cree WD/WH?
KX1 30L CreeWF? 5.5hrs opened
KX1 SOB1000 (3-16V) Q3-3A
KX1 Creemator Q4?5 WC?D up to 6V
KL4 blk P7 by Defabricata
Vital Gear F2 bezel fits P60 LA on E bodies
2 E1 bodies HA natural
Aleph CR123 HA natural
Aleph 17500 HA natural (fits 2xRCR2)
Fivemega 18500 clickie body HA dark grey
Jhanko polished 2xCR123/steel body
Leef E-head C-tail 18650 Lt gray body
Mirageman 18650 split body HA grey
Moddoo 6P 18500 E head C tail body
VG FB1 coilspring HA nat
VG FB2 leafspring HA natural
3 Z57 clickies
McTC tailcap natural - McClickie
Aleph bald LOTC HA w/ McE2S 60ohm
Aleph bald LOTC HA w/ flat McE2S 20ohm
Aleph TC HA rim machined off McE2S 30ohm
Lightsaver Miser E Nat 100/50/25%
L1 gen1 4 flat body w 10ohm TC
L1 gen1 4 flat body bored for DD 17500 or 2xRCR2 w 10ohm TC
2 L1 gen3 short cree body w 10ohm TC
SL Scorpion body - fits E-series heads (Scorpion head too)

Moddoo 18500 body plus SOB1000 modded KX head with McC2s 60ohm TC.
3588014414_de41cdd685.jpg

3283220645_6bd33a3f3b.jpg

3270410695_0fc0fc8988.jpg
The Left is a stock Cree L1 on 17500 running over an Amp. The middle is a K2 TFFC TVOD IMR123 screamer. The L1+KX1 on the right is bored for 17500 with SOB1000 KX1 head.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Most of my modest collection (by CPF standards) of Surefire lights are E-series.

E2D, E1E put together from spare parts, and a handful of E2Es (both modded and stock).

What I don't have is a digital camera, or even a camera phone.

Jaywalk3r

Banned
My only E series SF light is an E2D. It still needs to be modded to improve output (too much ambient light where I live). I'd also like to replace the E2D bezel with an E2E bezel (or cut the scallops down on the E2D bezel).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My only E series SF light is an E2D. It still needs to be modded to improve output (too much ambient light where I live). I'd also like to replace the E2D bezel with an E2E bezel (or cut the scallops down on the E2D bezel).

One idea is to get two AW IMR16340 rechargeable cells, and a Lumens factory IMR-E2 lamp.

Runtime is only 15 minutes, but you get Surefire M3 output in a much more compact package.

Both the cells and lamp are available at Lighthound.com

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are all my E-series compatable lights.:eek:
Most are Surefires, but there are a few Alephs, and customs. Not shown are the E-C adaptors and E-KT1/2 adaptor.

I also just realized there are about 10 more E-series lights in my modding box waiting for mods..:ohgeez:
013-23.jpg

025-9.jpg

Last edited:

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
lol, things are getting out of hand here. I just had to mention I carry a E1e every day in my front pocket lens up next to my wallet. Never even know it's there. no pic required, it's stock. I am sure there is a pic of a stock one somewhere here...

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
One idea is to get two AW IMR16340 rechargeable cells, and a Lumens factory IMR-E2 lamp.

Runtime is only 15 minutes, but you get Surefire M3 output in a much more compact package.

+1!

That's an excellent setup.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
There have been posts showing a Z57 spring that overheated, lost its temper, and then no longer worked. IMHO the best solution is to use a Z52 twisty with solder braid added to the spring to help conduct the current. But a Z57 will work if not used for too long of course, though the total service life of the switch will likely be shorter too.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it will be fun while it lasts.

That level of light will certainly do a number on someone's night adapted vision. Though if used indoors, it might just blind the user, too. Maybe best to leave an E2E so equipped for use on outdoor walks, to deter the less sociable folk, should things unfortunately progress to that stage.
You won't be using it for more than a matter of seconds in such manner, so the 15 min. runtime shouldn't be an issue.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
sdc12646.jpg

Look what I made.
sdc12650f.jpg

sdc12647w.jpg
sdc12654x.jpg

I wanted to put a cree in a e1e head. I found a driver pill (with AMC7135 1050mA) that almost fit. No problem dremel time!
After dremeling the reflector base to focus the LED most of the original reflector was gone.
I just decided to finish removing the entire reflector and replacing it with a smooth reflector. Perfect fit but a little too deep.
After some fitting Everything turned out perfect! The beam is a little dirty but the throw is fantastic!

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
sdc12646.jpg

Look what I made.
sdc12650f.jpg

sdc12647w.jpg
sdc12654x.jpg

I wanted to put a cree in a e1e head. I found a driver pill (with AMC7135 1050mA) that almost fit. No problem dremel time!
After dremeling the reflector base to focus the LED most of the original reflector was gone.
I just decided to finish removing the entire reflector and replacing it with a smooth reflector. Perfect fit but a little too deep.
After some fitting Everything turned out perfect! The beam is a little dirty but the throw is fantastic!

Good job! And the glowring is a nice touch.

I think SureFire has been missing the boat by not offereing an E1L with a single level, and simple reflector. Maybe 25 lumens with a floodier beam than the TIR optic offers for something like 6 hours would make a great camping / hiking light, IMHO