SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me, SureFire does not give a toss about those companies or those models. SureFire R&D being what it is, they're concentrating on their lights.

I'm about as far from a Marketing weasel as they come, but I do know that ignoring one's competition (as if to pretend they have none) is often a recipe for problems. Given their arrogance, I'm not surprised, but 'just sayin', it ain't cool. I imagine any good pro marketing weasel would confirm that.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's true, then SureFire created their first LEP.
Meh, I've got my Lumintop Thor 3 for that. I'm good.
Need a solid combination of both throw and flood.
Not a one-trick pony. The Thor 3 was just to round out my collection.
Here, here! From looking at those output photos linked in #409, I don't think I could use a light like that often. It would only be for rather specialized applications, but like you, as a rule I don't carry one-trick ponies. I'm not big on tunnelvision. If I were bolting it on a rifle, maybe...(if even then).

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, and especially since this manufacturer doesn't seem inclined to provide this info in their product documentation! (which does not speak well of them IMO). Many others do, and SF needs to step up to the competition (although I imagine in their minds, they may not feel that they have any competition, which I'd have to say indicates a bit of arrogance on their part). At least the 'product testers' out there will be providing what they seem unwilling to, so we'll get that info through those channels.
I agree. At least IMHO, if a company is really good at what they do and publish performance numbers with a product that consistently matches or over-delivers earns my respect. I had trouble with what Cloud Defensive did with (I think) their first run of handhelds where samples fell short of the published candela numbers.

This article made some good comparisons and even sent their samples to UL for confirmation because the CD HC head kept falling short of the 71k candela rating. It was disturbing to see the rep from CD say it should be an average output of a large number of production examples. As the article said, if the average is what they are shooting for, then half of the shipped examples would be underpowered.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here, here! From looking at those output photos linked in #409, I don't think I could use a light like that often. It would only be for rather specialized applications, but like you, as a rule I don't carry one-trick ponies. I'm not big on tunnelvision. If I were bolting it on a rifle, maybe...(if even then).
Yeah, I think the "EDC" moniker is misplaced here. This is definitely NOT what I would consider an "Every Day Carry" flashlight, except for certain individuals. For folks that have some large acreages, it should prove very useful. Maybe even for Public Safety and Public Works, looking down long streets and alleys. But for most of us, I think less candela and a little more flood would work better for EDC. But that's just my opinion. If it proves dependable, I'll probably want one. I think it should have a neutral tint, though, that would help a lot from the linked beam shots.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm about as far from a Marketing weasel as they come, but I do know that ignoring one's competition (as if to pretend they have none) is often a recipe for problems. Given their arrogance, I'm not surprised, but 'just sayin', it ain't cool. I imagine any good pro marketing weasel would confirm that.
True. But keep in mind, ignoring the competition has been part of SureFire's SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) since at least the last 20 years.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree. At least IMHO, if a company is really good at what they do and publish performance numbers with a product that consistently matches or over-delivers earns my respect. I had trouble with what Cloud Defensive did with (I think) their first run of handhelds where samples fell short of the published candela numbers.

This article made some good comparisons and even sent their samples to UL for confirmation because the CD HC head kept falling short of the 71k candela rating. It was disturbing to see the rep from CD say it should be an average output of a large number of production examples. As the article said, if the average is what they are shooting for, then half of the shipped examples would be underpowered.
It's Cloud Defense.
I've mentioned this before on CPF.
Dealt with them twice. First time, things went smoothly.
2nd time, there was an issue. One that should have been very easily fixed with an RMA, and them sending me what I ordered. Customer service nightmare that went FAR beyond what any of you could imagine! Had to do a credit card chargeback. Then received an empty box from CD. They tried to claim they delivered the product to me. I was on the phone for over half an hour explaining to a customer service rep. from my credit card company NOT to pay CD, and why! She had a hard time believing that any legit, reputable company would do such a thing. But finally she denied their payment request.

She's right too. No legit/reputable company would do such a thing. Needless to say, I haven't bought a single item from CD since then. Not surprised one bit that their claimed numbers turned out to be false.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. But keep in mind, ignoring the competition has been part of SureFire's SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) since at least the last 20 years.
That's been true, but it appears they're changing now. They also have far, far more competition than ever before, which is why they're changing..

Case in point: Li-ion / DF lights, etc. Maglite (another company that tends to get stuck in the past) is even getting into Li-ion now. Heck, they even introduced Spectrum LEDs! It's like everything in life. Change / adapt or die. Those companies won't change because it's in their nature to do so, but rather because they have no choice. They'll be dragged, kicking and sceaming, into the present if they plan to be around for the future. Even ol' Henry F. had to turn loose of the Model T, practically over his dead body it is said. Companies either change or fail. Aside from the most niche of niche markets, trying to survive the future with yesterday's customers is not a sustainable business model, and it doesn't take an MBA (or marketing weasel) to see that; only 2 eyes and ears, and some knowledge of history.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
From my understanding, the EDC1 DFT is the same size as a 6P. Which makes me think that the dual cell version is even bigger. I guess I wouldnt call it an EDC light as much as I consider the E1E the correct size for EDC.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
It's a shame surefire took so long with these, just seems like a bit too little too late. Plus, boy are they ugly.. I'm pretty sure they could have done more with their design, they almost look like prototypes. So many of surefire lights look GREAT... these aren't one of them.

Don't think I'm going to indulge in either of their offerings this time around. OR if I do end up purchasing one it'll most likely just be added to the collection and toyed around with.

In a handheld of this size, I think 100k cd is a bit much. I think a more balanced approach would be like the OKW modlite offering, 69k cd and 680 lumens instead of 550 lumens and 100k cd....

On a rifle, with glass attached ... that super intense pencil beam is great but handheld for edc tasks and things like room clearing, certainly isn't the best approach, and to me these lights seem more oriented to the public safety and LE world, as opposed to a guy going camping/outdoorsman ect. as per the specs. The specs just doesn't make any sense for those applications, or at least not in my mind / uses.

I'd much rather edc something like my HDS rotary.

I wonder if they came out with the scout version first because they realized they'll probably have more success in that market with these lights spec'd out in the way they are, as opposed to a handheld. Might also have nothing to do with it ... who knows.

tango44

Enlightened
Well, well, well, after two years of waiting, finally I found one in stock and just placed my order for the gray model EDC DFT 1 18350, which will arrive next week.
Will compare with my trusty Modlites 18350 PLHV2 and OKW and others. Will try to post pics and beam shots comparing this as soon as I get mine. (not the best photographer here) But I will do my best.
Will take some pics for size comparison also.
We will see if this is worth it!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
these are definitely trickling into wild; just ordered EDC1-DFT gray from B&H in stock notification. will post up pics when in hand.
In Stock?
Just went there.
Showing expected availability in 3-5 weeks. There's not even a pic. of the lights. B&H is absolutely reputable. Was this a pre-sale or did they actually have stock?

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Stock?
Just went there.
Showing expected availability in 3-5 weeks. There's not even a pic. of the lights. B&H is absolutely reputable. Was this a pre-sale or did they actually have stock?
I ordered from them yesterday afternoon. Shipped today. Might have been one of the last ones for now.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I ordered from them yesterday afternoon. Shipped today. Might have been one of the last ones for now.
Thanks for letting me know.
Shouldn't be surprised they sold out so quickly with all the hype. Plus, guessing B&H only received a small handful of each model on the initial run.

tango44

Enlightened
Last edited:

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
wbwQm4.jpg
fbHupt.jpg
coBPvP.jpg
clIMRU.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey, thanks for the links.
Literally a couple of hours ago, B&H showed out of stock on both of the new models.

Looks like the biggest difference is going to be runtime.
Out of the two models, I'm only interested in the EDC1-DFT.
Learned my lesson years ago trying to EDC extra-long, bezel down, SF clip-carried lights. Unfortunately, I really prefer the black version over the Hard Andonized one. I can wait awhile. Appreciate the assist though.

I'm sure someone on here will make good use of those links.