SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Looks like there are 3 of the EDC DFT 2 for sale on the bay, 287 per each one. Personally if I was going to get one, I would get the 18350 version cause its the size of a 6P. It is good to finally see them out for sale.
Seems I missed the fact that these switch on in Low Mode, first. Each and every single time. Was excited for the 18350 version, but I hardly ever use Low on the job, or when I EDC on my off-time. Too bad. Looks like I just saved $228.oo that I really would have preferred not to.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Seems I missed the fact that these switch on in Low Mode, first. Each and every single time. Was excited for the 18350 version, but I hardly ever use Low on the job, or when I EDC on my off-time. Too bad. Looks like I just saved $228.oo that I really would have preferred not to.
I got the impression that it turns on high first. Even the manual implies that. Anyone can confirm?

IMG_2500.jpeg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like it uses the same interface as my ASPs: Tap-DoubleTap / Hi-Lo. That's ASP's 'standard' interface, except they also have something similar to SL Ten-Tap, which provides other options.

Sounds like you may be needing that wallet after all!:)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Mono wait awhile for the catch and release
Good idea. But I have to wait anyway. The EDC1-DFT in Black is impossible to find, and is already overpriced at Retail $228.oo, and I refuse to buy SureFire lights from anyone who isn't a trusted individual nor from a company I know isn't an A.D. (Guaranteed someone is starting to pump out fakes of these models as we speak.)

Plus, for some odd reason, these two models aren't up on SureFire's official website. Anyone else notice that?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus, for some odd reason, these two models aren't up on SureFire's official website. Anyone else notice that?
Yes, I certainly did, and I found that to be most odd indeed; so much so that I intended to post the same observation after I double-checked. I guess I don't need to do that now!

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Good idea. But I have to wait anyway. The EDC1-DFT in Black is impossible to find, and is already overpriced at Retail $228.oo, and I refuse to buy SureFire lights from anyone who isn't a trusted individual nor from a company I know isn't an A.D. (Guaranteed someone is starting to pump out fakes of these models as we speak.)

I have also noticed that the P1Z models come and go on the website. I saw the intellibeam is there one moment and gone the next. Surefire is a weird company sometimes.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it in fact isn't yet documented on the their site - I mean I know SF's a tad 'different', but to have a long-awaited NPI (New Product Introduction) without publishing product information is beyond bizarre (from my general industry experience); it's borderline suspicious. The only times I've been involved in anything remotely similar was when the product was still highly 'proprietary', and was in Beta phase with (potential) customers who'd (usually) signed a stack of NDAs.

That said, if examined closely, I'm not sure how much difference there is between a very 'limited / controlled release' prior to GA (General Availability) (perhaps without generally available documentation), and a classic Beta Trial. In this case, it might effectively be a "distinction without a difference".

It's funny because what I was actually going to post a day or so back was a response to a post in which a user here had received one of these lights, and sounded as if they were unhappy with it and it didn't meet their expectations at all. I was going to 'reply' to essentially ask in what way(s) it failed to meet expectations or was different from what was reflected in the product info. Then I realized when I went to their site before posting that, that there was no product info (that I found anyway), that there were therefore no expectations set at all, and therefore one couldn't possibly have un-met expectations. I thought 'now I get it, silly me' - and didn't post it:). I guess if one sets no expectations, they need not worry about failing to meet them!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember eBay sellers having Maglite spectrum series lights long before Maglite them selves even mentioned them.

Now regarding B&H, there was a time they were not above selling gray market stuff. ie not fakes or clones but items not intended for the US domestic market.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
So........My EDC1 arrived in HA gray...And it's defective: Single Hi output, only, no low output. Also, the beam hotspot is a big oval. I bet the head was assembled wrong, and the dual output circuitry isnt making a connection, which may also be effecting the beam pattern. Having it single ouput is actually badass, and i wouldnt care, but the beam quality is a bit irksome.

Way too many defective Surefires over the years, and the warranty turn around is going to be several months, im guessing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So........My EDC1 arrived in HA gray...And it's defective: Single Hi output, only, no low output. Also, the beam hotspot is a big oval. I bet the head was assembled wrong, and the dual output circuitry isnt making a connection, which may also be effecting the beam pattern. Having it single ouput is actually badass, and i wouldnt care, but the beam quality is a bit irksome.

Way too many defective Surefires over the years, and the warranty turn around is going to be several months, im guessing.
Sorry to hear that. I still have an E2D from back in the day with the Error Head. Single-output on high only. But in this case, definitely sounds like something is seriously wrong.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Recieved mine....Not sure what SF is trying to do, except hit all the latest light trends: 18650-rechargeable. Misguided high candela trend. Integrated pocket clip.

It's nice, but outclassed by quite a few other lights. Trends dont make for good lights. Superior illumination tools do, yet SF has missed the mark.

To get that ridiculously high Cd, a tiny LED in combo with a too-large-to-EDC reflector was used. So you have a 300-500 Lu or so (real world) and an 80K or so Cd. Weird. It's a long range light with minimal output.

Havent done any run tests, etc.

None of the documentation states where it was made.

The head will fit an E2 body, but older E2 heads will not fit this new body. Also, the two stage output is in the head, not tailcap.
Thanks for the input.

That's what I was fearing. Glad I held off. Don't think I'll be picking one of these up.

In handheld light I'd much rather have 40-60k CD and higher lumen output, around the 800 mark. Give or take.

Also, the head on these lights are gigantic.

Don't think 100k CD or anything close is really necessary with a smaller handheld light. I'd rather have some more flood mixed in.