SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seen at the 2022 Shot Show are the new Surefire EDC1-DFT and the EDC2-DFT.

Dual Fuel Technology comes to the Surefire E series lights!

From Surefire's website.

SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT flashlights deliver intense beams designed explicitly for long-distance illumination in a remarkably compact form factor, giving you all the power in a small yet rugged package. Thanks to our flexible Dual Fuel feature, the EDC1-DFT generates 71,000 blinding candela when powered by its included SF18350 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, or you can swap in a single 123A lithium primary battery and 33,000 candela from a single 123A primary battery. The larger EDC2-DFT delivers 71,000 candela and more runtime when powered by its included SF18650 rechargeable battery or two 123A primary batteries.

These mini lighthouses provide the farthest-reaching beams of any SureFire EDC handhelds, plus ample spill light so you can keep track of your surroundings. You can also switch to a low-output setting to handle administrative tasks. A sturdy, two-way clip also offers the added flexibility of bezel-up or bevel-down carry. As a result, the EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT deliver SureFire quality, performance, and dependability in an everyday carry flashlight that helps you see farther into the unknown.

surefire_EDC1-DFT.jpeg

surefire_EDC2-DFT.jpeg

Photos courtesy of Recoilweb.com

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
And their marketing team even went with "EVERYDAY CARRY"
Hey - whatever sales so they can have the funds to innovate.
I'll end up with both because I'm a sucker for the "low-output for administrative tasks" and I'll support Merica.

I wanted to bore an Elzetta Alpha to accept 18350 --even though the beams will be different -- the EDC1-DFT might just do instead.

Last edited:

s85sss

Newly Enlightened
an EDCL1-T with a shorter tailcap and rechargeable batteries...even though the head seems a little bit longer, it looks nice

WDR65

Enlightened
I look forward to trying them both out. Surefire has always had some of the throwers that still had spill out of any brand I've owned. Today I stuck an EDCL-1t in my vest pocket when going duck hunting as my spotlight for things my flood ZL headlamp couldn't quite reach.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats what I thought. DFT = Duel Fuel Tactical. Means single mode only. The "gas-pedal" tailcap on the EDC1&2 are the highlight IMO. Trading that just for li-ion compatibility? No deal.

The description says there's a low mode for doing administrative tasks.
"You can also switch to a low-output setting to handle administrative tasks."

I know we're all hard-user operators requiring battle proof lights for survival.... but administrative tasks lights with a high are right up my alley.
I really see a version of myself in every one of their product photos on the site below

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The description says there's a low mode for doing administrative tasks.
"You can also switch to a low-output setting to handle administrative tasks."

Surefire website says EDCL1-T Low is 500 Lumens high and 5 lumens low with 123A.

The product manual says "Press lightly for the low output or press fully for the high-output. Twist clockwise for constant on activation"

I know we're all hard-user operators requiring battle proof lights for survival.... but administrative tasks lights with a high are right up my alley.
I guess I just skimmed over the text. The way its worded makes me concerned its not the Dual-stage tailcap tho, since you wouldn't be "switching" to low mode. Thats kinda the whole trick with these lights for me. Many others have TRI & compact throwers, but not the gas-pedal switch.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I just skimmed over the text. The way its worded makes me concerned its not the Dual-stage tailcap tho, since you wouldn't be "switching" to low mode. Thats kinda the whole trick with these lights for me. Many others have TRI & compact throwers, but not the gas-pedal switch.

That product manual was to another light. But the website still shows this new light having a low... I'm not sure how you switch though.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "commander" is new as well. 2x 21700 in parallel, LEP&MaxVision combo. Form faction isnt really my thing but im glad the cells seem to be replaceable & not built in.

Just makes me wish for a proper duty 2x21700 (in series) light with dual-output + strobe and on-board magnetic/cradle charging. 50-150/2500lm TIR. No dual switch nonsense just a simple "loosen tailcap for low, rotate head for strobe" or something.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Commander looks really interesting. But there isn't even a product photo of it - this could be one of those typical SF catalog products that are never really released. I don't think we will see it in next few months.