Surefire L1 still relevant?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I put a WTB on the MP and got one from a member for 100. Its wonderful. Especially paired up with an F05 and tail standing shroud. Here are some beams comparing the CR123/AWRCR and my Rotary on burst (200 lumens.)

A little out of focus here but still..
L1.jpg

All shot in Manual Mode on a Sony Nex-5N
Auto WB
ISO 100
f/3.5

L1 Low SF CR123
L1%20Lo%20CR123.JPG

L1 Low AWRCR123
L1%20Lo%20RCR.JPG

L1 High CR123
L1%20Hi%20CR123.JPG

L1 High AWRCR123
L1%20Hi%20RCR.JPG

HDS EDC-R1S-200 (Rotary) On Burst Mode
HDS%20Hi.JPG

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep an eye out at B&Ms. I bought one late last year from a B&M for well under a hundred because it was discontinued. (!!!) Pricing is all in the eyes of the beholder.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red, Blue, Green, and white were the stock colors. I think I've seen a special amber one one-time....
thanks! i wanna buy white, green, and red ones one day haha.

do they all go for about the same price when people sell them? regardless of color, that is

Tommygun45

Enlightened
A red one went for 125 last week and a blue one just went for 99.

Also a few months back someone sold a 5 pc set for somewhere around 650 or something? I forget but it was beautiful. All were 4 flats. I dont get it honestly. Why did Surefire change to rounded edges. Im relatively new to the game, around 2 years, but the 4 flats versions of the A2s and L1s are just incredible. Maybe their limited nature increases their allure, thus the brand allue. I dont know.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
A red one went for 125 last week and a blue one just went for 99.

Also a few months back someone sold a 5 pc set for somewhere around 650 or something? I forget but it was beautiful. All were 4 flats. I dont get it honestly. Why did Surefire change to rounded edges. Im relatively new to the game, around 2 years, but the 4 flats versions of the A2s and L1s are just incredible. Maybe their limited nature increases their allure, thus the brand allue. I dont know.
thank you for the info! :)

and as to the flats vs. non, i think you're probably right with the reasons you're proposing.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey scout, you haven't by chance been back to home depot lately have you (to see what the part number was for those o-rings you doubled up in the lanyard ring groove)?

Another OT- If it's true that SF is going to make A clickY tailcap for their lx2U, it will fit L1 right? Hopefully the replacement delrin shrouds & o-ring trick swap still work on it (& they sell it separately).

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an old pic or two from an eaaaarly digital camera

L1_008.jpg

L1_004.jpg

Wow Jnewell!!! Simply awesome! I wish they still made them in bk-ha...I wish they made more lights in it actually...I miss my C2-BK-HA every day...but that L1-HA-BK is SEXY!

Last edited:

Alpnlight

Newly Enlightened
I have two SF L1s that appear to be fifth generation. The red one is reasonably bright, the white one borders on dim; probably half the light output. What gives? I like the UI of these lights. But the white is vastly underpowered...all of my 2-AA lights blow it away. Haven't tried RCR123A yet but it can't be that much better when starting from so low. Where can I send this for an LED upgrade and what is the approximate cost? Not convinced there's any reason to have a bright red LED so perhaps the best option is to make it a bright white too.<br><br>Was originally planning to sell these off on ebay to pay for new lights. But have discovered that none of the recent&amp;nbsp;acquisitions&amp;nbsp;have nearly as good a UI...too much&amp;nbsp;gimmickry&amp;nbsp;and/or learning curve or just too basic. Seems like the L1 has the feature-set and KISS thing dialed. So I'm willing to upgrade if cost is reasonable.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alpnlight,
You might want to contact CPF member Milkyspit. He has made a reputation for himself modding L1 lights. I had him mod the 2 L1s I got after they were discontinued. In both cases he removed the optic, and added a reflector, and upgraded the emitter to a high CRI XP-G. The previous beam pattern just doesn't even compare to what these look like now. He could also leave the circuitry stock, or make it brighter for you. He can do just about anything you want. He is busy and it can take some effort to get ahold of him, but it was worth it. It would be best to discuss pricing with him directly.

choombak

Enlightened
I recently got a L1 last version (shorter, with the Cree emitter), and it has been my favorite EDC light. I personally prefer smaller lights for EDC, but there is something captivating in the L1 that makes me EDC it daily these days. I think the reflector design is hypnotic, and it stares right into my eyes from my pocket. :-D