Surefire T1A Titan still worth it?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well that's true, but my main concern is that the original T1A P4 was too cool. I'm hoping the "new" one will be a bit warmer, even if it is a P4. We can always dream, can't we. :)
Is now a good time to start an unsubstantiated rumor that the updated T1A will use the new Nichia 219 4500K high-CRI emitter, or should I wait until later? LOL.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
The SureFire site says the low output is 1.0 lumens. Wasn't the old version known for a lower low? Why would they change this?

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
The older light also said low output is 1.0 lumens. It's way lower than that - some tiny fraction of a lumen. (It is the dimmest low on any light I own.) I hope the new one is similarly dim, making a higher low would not be a feature - at least not a much higher low.

MY

Enlightened
I own several control ring lights including the new Jetbeams and Sunwaymans. The T1A is by far the highest build quality. The control ring is the smoothest and most precise of them all. It is also quite compact. It has been one of my most favorite lights although I wish for a little more output and a lot more efficiency. Being able to tail stand and use RCRs would also be nice. My T1A tint is slightly cool - just the way I like it. I have been thinking of putting a XML in it. Those who have one modded with a XML, please post your experiences. Its a Surefire so you pay a lot more - it was worth it then as a cutting edge light.

Regards

nbp

Flashaholic
Sean said:
Well that's true, but my main concern is that the original T1A P4 was too cool. I'm hoping the "new" one will be a bit warmer, even if it is a P4. We can always dream, can't we. :)

HDS used P4s in their HI CRI Legacy lights, so such nice emitters definitely were made. Whether they are still in production or available in quantities needed to satisfy SF's needs is another question.

tolkaze

Enlightened
I'm wondering if we will see a range of slight upgrades coming soon. My thinking is that it could be the same emitter (hopefully a different, less blue bin) but may be a different driver to cope with the new surefire rechargeable LiFePO4's. Could be a slight voltage increase on the driver board, which may mean more efficient design?

Personally though, I think this is less of an upgrade, and more coming into line with the Flashlight Standards. Perhaps a new emitter or driver, but could equally be a re-measurement of the output of the old light

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is now a good time to start an unsubstantiated rumor that the updated T1A will use the new Nichia 219 4500K high-CRI emitter, or should I wait until later? LOL.

I just wished that it could be true.

Mine does! :thumbsup:Just spent the night upgrading the emitter in mine and it is exquisite. Easily 100+ lumens and probably closer to 150.

The SureFire site says the low output is 1.0 lumens. Wasn't the old version known for a lower low? Why would they change this?

This is how it has always read but it goes way lower. Still one of the lowest lows out there and with the rotary control knob you get more low level flexibilty than any other light out there.

I'm wondering if we will see a range of slight upgrades coming soon. My thinking is that it could be the same emitter (hopefully a different, less blue bin) but may be a different driver to cope with the new surefire rechargeable LiFePO4's. Could be a slight voltage increase on the driver board, which may mean more efficient design?

Personally though, I think this is less of an upgrade, and more coming into line with the Flashlight Standards. Perhaps a new emitter or driver, but could equally be a re-measurement of the output of the old light

I don't mean to come across as negative, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that anything has changed with this light. It's always used a SSC P4 and you can be sure that Surefire gets their LED supply from the mass market. They've never been too picky with the angry blue tints they use in their lights.

I've been using LiFePO4 batteries in my T1A for a few years now so that's nothing new. It will even run on RCR123 cells if the voltage is down below 3.8v or so but it wont run on a fully charged one. I don't think they've changed the driver - if you've ever pulled on apart the driver is almost a work of art. That they have squeezed a stack of 3 PCBs with a potentiometer and a huge inductor is amazing. And even though simple in function the driver packs a ton of features. It's a true current controlled infinitely variable driver. It features a auto shutoff protection circuit in case the light has been turned on just a bit in your pocket. It also features a slow ramping technology - when you turn the control real fast you can see that the level change speed is controlled and will sometimes play catch-up if you are quick enough.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I can say for sure, I have one of the earliest T1A's and it's not 100 lumens. It's about 81 or so and I've had pretty good luck measuring lumen output from lights that are less than about 120 lumens. So at the very least they are using higher output P4's. Hopefully someone buys one and tells us if it's as blue as the original. I've seen several ebay sellers claim to be selling the new 100 lumen version but admit the box states 70 lumens. If I didn't just spend some money on other lights I would get one and find out. :(

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
...I've seen several ebay sellers claim to be selling the new 100 lumen version but admit the box states 70 lumens... :(

I found this interesting and called SureFire. Sure enough, the CSR at SureFire told me that there is no documentation on or in the box that states the newer version T1A Titan currently being shipped is 100 lumens. I decided not to order the Titan at this time.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
I heard from one of the CPF dealers a week or so ago that SureFire has a decent stock of the old version and is not shipping the new version yet.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
B&H is showing the TIA 100 lumen in stock! Well, if it is the 100 lumen T1A, I haven't called to verify if it is! May be tomorrow, before I, ... well, you know!

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't comment on latest version, but I have the original T1A, and I love it. There is quite a lot written on that light as well, it seems most who have owned them really loved them, even though the output may not be the most amazing.

Some good reading: Here Here (despite the title, a lot of positive comments in this one, plus several classic lines from some long-timers here)

Pushed me off the fence! Ordered without calling B&H to confirm if it's the 100 lumen T1A! What the heck, it's only going on my key chain! ... :shrug:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
In my experience, the T1A is still the best variable control light available. You won't be disappointed.

Please give us an update when you get it. With a photo of the emitter, if possible!

Latest posts