Surefire T1A Titan still worth it?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, the T1A is still the best variable control light available. You won't be disappointed.

Please give us an update when you get it. With a photo of the emitter, if possible!

I'll give it a shot, or the best I can with my point n' shoot casio! One of these days I have to figure out how to set the micro setting on it!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pushed me off the fence! Ordered without calling B&H to confirm if it's the 100 lumen T1A! What the heck, it's only going on my key chain! ... :shrug:
You would love it. It is not the most efficient amongst the competitors by today's standards, but it really has the nicest rotary UI that I have ever experienced. All you get is a very gradual and consistently smooth switching of output from minimum to high when you rotate the ring. No sudden jump in output nor maxing out in the output before the end of the rotation sequence. Tint might be a little too cool for my liking but I can see a great improvement from those T1A which I have seen previously. It is a very solid EDC light which have been dropped countless times by my own carelessness, and yet all it has are a couple of small little dings to show. It is probably the best low output light I have ever had and it has the lowest output from what I have seen. Definitely no way of blinding myself when I get up in the middle of the night. If you are like me who treasure lights that has low low moon mode, you will love this light.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would love it. It is not the most efficient amongst the competitors by today's standards, but it really has the nicest rotary UI that I have ever experienced. All you get is a very gradual and consistently smooth switching of output from minimum to high when you rotate the ring. No sudden jump in output nor maxing out in the output before the end of the rotation sequence. Tint might be a little too cool for my liking but I can see a great improvement from those T1A which I have seen previously. It is a very solid EDC light which have been dropped countless times by my own carelessness, and yet all it has are a couple of small little dings to show. It is probably the best low output light I have ever had and it has the lowest output from what I have seen. Definitely no way of blinding myself when I get up in the middle of the night. If you are like me who treasure lights that has low low moon mode, you will love this light.

Thanks, I'm really hoping that the T1A will earn a permanent place on my key chain! I opted for the free shipping offer so it should arrive sometime next week! After which Z-Tab, I won't forget to take n' post a few shots of the business end!

Btw kind of off topic but, does anyone know how to set the micro setting on a Casio Exilim EX-S880?

Last edited:

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
I heard from one of the CPF dealers a week or so ago that SureFire has a decent stock of the old version and is not shipping the new version yet.
The authorized SF dealer that I spoke with this week said pretty much the same thing, Hoosier Light. Something else odd; the SF CSR told me that SF has been shipping the 100 lumens T1A Titan since January of this year...in a box marked 70 lumens MAX...and that SF might add a "sticky lable" to update the 70 lumens max output on the box. Perhaps she is mistaken...I don't have a clue. I sure hope someone on this forum will confirm that these newer version T1A Titans currently being shipped by SureFire are in fact 100 lumens. I'm curious about this lack of documentation from SureFire on their shipping boxes for the T1A.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm really hoping that the T1A will earn a permanent place on my key chain! I opted for the free shipping offer so it should arrive sometime next week! After which Z-Tab, I won't forget to take n' post a few shots of the business end!

Btw kind of off topic but, does anyone know how to set the micro setting on a Casio Exilim EX-S880?

Great! Can't wait to see it! I also noticed B&H listed the 100 lumen version. I tried emailing them about it weeks ago but got no response.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! Can't wait to see it! I also noticed B&H listed the 100 lumen version. I tried emailing them about it weeks ago but got no response.

I was planning on calling them (can't type fast enough to do the live chat thing), but now I figure I'll just wait! .... lol

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, the T1A is still the best variable control light available. You won't be disappointed.

Please give us an update when you get it. With a photo of the emitter, if possible!

Too bad you have to win the tint lottery to not be disappointed.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Too bad you have to win the tint lottery to not be disappointed.

I agree that the tints can be bad, and I got mine changed, but not everybody needs a particular tint to be happy. The whole point of this thread is that Surefire seems to have updated it, so the "tint lottery" might have more winners these days.

If not, modders can change the emitter to whatever you want, which I think makes it one of the best lights available at any price.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the tints can be bad, and I got mine changed, but not everybody needs a particular tint to be happy. The whole point of this thread is that Surefire seems to have updated it, so the "tint lottery" might have more winners these days.

If not, modders can change the emitter to whatever you want, which I think makes it one of the best lights available at any price.

Makes for a pretty expensive light, when you have to send it off to get modded because the tint is terrible. I'm not a total tint snob, but blue/purple is unacceptable for a light with this price tag. There are much better options out there, for a lot less money IMO.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Makes for a pretty expensive light, when you have to send it off to get modded because the tint is terrible. I'm not a total tint snob, but blue/purple is unacceptable for a light with this price tag. There are much better options out there, for a lot less money IMO.

But again, you're ignoring the point of the thread, which is that Surefire has updated the specs on the T1A. Nobody knows what the new 100 Lumen version is like. If it is the same as the 70 Lumen version, then that's a disappointment, but it's ridiculous to complain about the tint without anybody on CPF being able to confirm that they've actually seen one of these lights in person.

For what the T1A does, I honestly do not agree that there are better options. As someone who owns more than one LF2XT, you must realize that sometimes you've got to spend a bit more to get a light that is exactly right for your needs.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not ignoring the point at all...The title is "Surefire T1A still worth it?", and I don't think it ever was. And if there was a groundbreaking change, do you really think they would be shipping it in the same box as the old version?

nbp

Flashaholic
Maybe we could just let AZPops try the light out and make up his own mind on the matter, hey?

Yeah, the T1A is pretty cool tinted, but I still love mine and use it every single day. He might be as enamored with it as some of us already are. :shrug:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I know most have read of my concerns in regards to the tints in the beam of the lights I purchase (or have purchased in the past). However I've read a few threads on the T1A, as well as on the LX2 and E1b Back Up (before placing my order on these two) and am well aware of issues I may be facing.

In regards to the possibility of the T1A's tint being blue or purple, again I'm well aware of this issue with the T1A. But tint isn't a primary concern with this light, it's overall build, UI and Surefire's warranty is the reason I've gravitated toward this light.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you'll be able to tell what emitter is in my T1A from my inept ability in taking photos. Can't figure out the macro setting on my camera! But here the shots I took;

CIMG2336.jpg

CIMG2335.jpg

CIMG2332.jpg

I just received the light, messed with it for awhile then installed it on my key ring, so we'll see how it goes. However, my first impression on the T1A is I like the size of the light and the rotating UI is very smooth (has a nice specific (?) detent in the Rotary).

The tint on my T1A has a light green (not an angry green) tint to it's spill, but again as I mentioned earlier, the tint is not my main concern with this light, build, and it's UI is. However, I am glad that it's not an angry green! … lol …or it may be sent out for a mod, but I'm glad it's not!

Edit: The center of the beam has an extremely light blue tint with a light blue green tint in the spill IF you're close to something. Are confused yet? ... lol

In regards if it's a 70 Lumen or the newer/latest 100 Lumen T1A, is again a non issue since I'll be using the light in it's lower to medium output selections, but found that the highest output on this T1A is more then sufficient for this lights intended purpose.

I work throughout the night, every night while on contract so my other EDC that's always on my belt when the sun sets is my HDS Rotary (and as soon as the dogs and I are working, I also have a longer distance light on me as well. Which at this time is either my HD XML on a MD2 body or LX-Tu, I mean LX2). Don't think I need to say more on the practicality of Lumens/distance for my needs.

Btw as mentioned your absolutely right, the T1A is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, when in hand it has a quality feel to it, has just the right amount of weight and fits right in with my keys! In other words, it already has me in the mind set that this light will be a keeper.

The box say's that it's a 70 lumen, without any other notifications of it being the 100 Lumen model.

Back to the OP's question "Is It Still Worth It"? Time will tell, but I'm also confident in saying that I wish I bought this light for my key ring before spending (as well as wasting) money on the lights I've purchased before this light! One such light btw, never made it on my key ring, but is presently sleeping with the fishes somewhere in a landfill in the Sonoran Desert!

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you'll be able to tell what emitter is in my T1A from my inept ability in taking photos. Can't figure out the macro setting on my camera! But here the shots I took;

CIMG2336.jpg

CIMG2335.jpg

CIMG2332.jpg

I just received the light, messed with it for awhile then installed it on my key ring, so we'll see how it goes. However, my first impression on the T1A is I like the size of the light and the rotating UI is very smooth (has a nice specific (?) detent in the Rotary).

The tint on my T1A has a light green (not an angry green) tint to it's spill, but again as I mentioned earlier, the tint is not my main concern with this light, build, and it's UI is. However, I am glad that it's not an angry green! … lol …or it may be sent out for a mod, but I'm glad it's not!

In regards if it's a 70 Lumen or the newer/latest 100 Lumen T1A, is again a non issue since I'll be using the light in it's lower to medium output selections, but found that the highest output on this T1A is more then sufficient for this lights intended purpose.

I work throughout the night, every night while on contract so my other EDC that's always on my belt when the sun sets is my HDS Rotary (and as soon as the dogs and I are working, I also have a longer distance light on me as well. Which at this time is either my HD XML on a MD2 body or LX-Tu, I mean LX2). Don't think I need to say more on the practicality of Lumens/distance for my needs.

Btw as mentioned your absolutely right, the T1A is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, when in hand it has a quality feel to it, has just the right amount of weight and fits right in with my keys! In other words, it already has me in the mind set that this light will be a keeper.

The box say's that it's a 70 lumen, without any other notifications of it being the 100 Lumen model.

Back to the OP's question "Is It Still Worth It"? Time will tell, but I'm also confident in saying that I wish I bought this light for my key ring before spending (as well as wasting) money on the lights I've purchased before this light! One such light btw, never made it on my key ring, but is presently sleeping with the fishes somewhere in a landfill in the Sonoran Desert!

Your T1A sounds great. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it. Slight green tint is my favorite. :)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your T1A sounds great. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it. Slight green tint is my favorite. :)

I wouldn't hold your breath on me sell'in it! ....;) .... Ok guys seriously, I'm SOLD! This light lit up an area about 30 plus yards on it's highest setting with a great low to medium, n' it fits well in the pocket so we're good to go! And the tint is pleasing to my eyes, nothing to be disappointed about, nor did it disappoint regarding the overall decision about this purchase!

Oh, and one other thing, ... Harlee n' Calvin's biscuits has at present, no ill effects on the T1A's coating!

Last edited:

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
Judging from the pics, it definitely is not a modern Cree emitter. Looks like an old Seoul P4 to me.

Latest posts