Taking apart a recalcitrant 3 D cell Maglite

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes, the 1.5 volt kind like Power Ex and Imedion.
Another option is aa size eneloops in D size adapters. Those things hold a charge for years and years. Not a long runtime like D cells mind you but will definitely be ready to go at a moments notice. A lot of us here use those and keep C or D cells handy for times when longer runtimes are required.

Also check out the Maglite classic LED. It's very much like the old incan but the latest LED puts out a whole bunch of light as a typical Maglite throwey beam. Lots of runtime so if you opt for eneloops in that one you'll still get a decent amount of runtime. And they're fairly inexpensive.

I keep my D size Maglites in older clam shell packaging from when they came with batteries and keep batteries in the package too. Ready to go in a few seconds.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will using lithium primary D cells prevent all of this in lights that are standby units? By that I mean lights that you want in complete readiness for use but are not used often.

Tom Horne
It would, if those cells existed, there are only AA, and AAA lithium primary cells available in usa, You can use 2aa-D adapters, they are good for up to 1A, or 1aa -D adapters, those can handle more current, but in case of a Maglite with stock bulb, it only draws around 800ma.

I use these, so far no complaints, it makes my 6d a lot lighter. but they have small negative contact, so stock spring wont work, it is too wide, you need to either modify the spring, or get a smaller one with narrower end, lumencraft sells those.
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium AA L91's are great for lights that need to be ready to go at all times....a little pricey/not rechargeable but they work great in the cold and they don't leak.

The classic dual mode 213 lumen 2D Mag that Byk mentioned would be an excellent choice because it has the second mode that greatly increases run time and the old school mechanical switch won't drain the batteries while in storage. In addition to D and AA cells, you can run this light on 18650's ,21700's or 26650's if you are into Li-ions.

Reactions: 735

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will using lithium primary D cells prevent all of this in lights that are standby units?
Can you link to what you're talking about? The only primary lithium D cells I am aware of are lithium thionyl chloride and 3.6V.

Yes, the 1.5 volt kind like Power Ex and Imedion.

FYI, PowerEx does not sell primary lithium D cells, and Imedion are PowerEx cells, but secondary NiMH, 1.2V.

Last edited:

TD-Horne

Newly Enlightened
In loo of the apparently non existent Size D Lithium primary cells are there D size AA Battery holders which will hold 4 AA Lithium primary cells in parallel? If there are we could use those holders and have the flashlights ready for use with the Lithium primary AA cells. I don't know if 4 AAs will equal the ampacity of the the Alkaline size D Cells If they equal or exceed the Alkalines than that would be a great answer.

Tom Horne

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
In loo of the apparently non existent Size D Lithium primary cells are there D size AA Battery holders which will hold 4 AA Lithium primary cells in parallel? If there are we could use those holders and have the flashlights ready for use with the Lithium primary AA cells. I don't know if 4 AAs will equal the ampacity of the the Alkaline size D Cells If they equal or exceed the Alkalines than that would be a great answer.

Tom Horne

3AA, yes. Here are some cheapies on Amazon. I'm sure other CPF members have a source for better ones. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKLVCR8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

TD-Horne

Newly Enlightened
Can you link to what you're talking about? The only primary lithium D cells I am aware of are lithium thionyl chloride and 3.6V.
So that would be close to the voltage of a 5 D cell alkaline unit but would fit in the shell of a 2 D cell Maglite. That has promise if we can get a couple of 2 D Cell Maglites to behave like a 5 D Cell Alkaline with one of the newer upgrade kits.

Tom Horne

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the cells Chillin is referencing are only useful for very low amperage draw situations. I have a few that I picked up years ago and haven't found a good use for them yet.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that would be close to the voltage of a 5 D cell alkaline unit but would fit in the shell of a 2 D cell Maglite. That has promise if we can get a couple of 2 D Cell Maglites to behave like a 5 D Cell Alkaline with one of the newer upgrade kits.

My understanding is lithium thionyl chloride is for very low current applications, unlike lithium iron disulfide (Energizer L91) which can be used in high current applications. Also, they're pretty expensive.

But you can use Liion for what you were thinking, 3.6V/3.7V rechargeable secondaries, 32600 cells (D size nearly) and 26500 cells (C size), or 18650 with a sleeve.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Tom Horne
4 L91's have more capacity then a D cell.

Reactions: hsa

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Capacity of 1 D is about 15ah, 4xaa, 10-11ah. depending on a load, 4 parallel AA may be better than 1 D, 4AA can handle more current than 1 D, there is a way to use 4 cells in parallel in a D maglite, i did it a decade ago, you do not even need a holder, but you will have to make contact discs. first one needs a button top like D cell has for a contact, 4 AA fit pretty tight in a D light, some brands do not fit without turning wrapper seams inside, others fit a bit looser. and fall right in. I posted pics here somewhere over a decade ago, i do not even remember what thread it was.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
L91 have about 3Ah of capacity. They also have slightly higher voltage than alkaline. Two L91 will flash a Mini Maglite lamp.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, destroy. Maglite lamps, and I presume LEDs, are designed for alkaline voltages. I don't have any idea what Maglite LEDs do on L91, maybe nothing, but Maglite lamps are more fragile, have tighter tolerances. Two L91 can produce as much as 3.8V, and that will flash (i.e. flash for a fraction of a second, then never works again) a lamp designed for 3V (or 2.8V or whatever two alkaline produce under load).

TD-Horne

Newly Enlightened
So the Amazon add that gives their voltage as 1.5 is a lie. Imagine my surprise! Come on you canimagine it if you really try. No. That just proves that you are alert and oriented X3.

Tom Horne

Sjvalleydave

Newly Enlightened
That is lithium thionyl chloride. Read your attachments: "nominal voltage: 3.6V ... nominal discharge current: 4mA"
Couldn't LED's handle 3.6V....I didn't see min cut off voltage, but sure it is going to be 3.0 or 2.5V, if it's anything like a Li ion, which is the only thing I'm really familiar with...