Technological obsolescence in our times

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Telephones that ring with actual BELLS.

I like having one of those in the house just to hear a sound that's not digital when the phone rings. I don't actually use the phone, it just sits in a corner, waiting to ring. If you open the phone you can mod the bells so they are less noisy, or less ringy, or just a rattle. It's very distinctive.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
The other nice thing about the old dial telephones is that they have no active components such as transistors where even the old touch-tone phones from the 60's do. FYI you can convert the rotary dial pulses to touch tones (for VoIP, cable, etc) with a pulse to tone converter from the sandman.com.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father continues to use an original decadic (dial) phone - when the power goes out, the cordless fails, when the cordless fried, the decadic soldiers on.
It is not necessary to have one old decadic boat-anchor phones if you want them to work with the power out. Any corded phone that only connects to the line (and not to a DC adapter) will do the job.
That said, I too like the old behemoths for their ability to stay on the table when the cord gets snagged... lighter does not always mean better.
And as for the bell ring, one can still purchase phone-less metal bells. You connect them to the line, and when someone calls you they make the same noise of the old phones. And they're LOUD.

Where have all the manual mechanical typewriters gone? there must have been millions that had disappeared over a short period of time.
They were made mostly of metal, so I'm guessing once people started trashing them most were melted down to recycle it.

What happened to the concept of "the paperless office"? with the advent of high-speed, cheap home printers, the local stationery supply store now has a 'wall of paper' - ream upon ream.
Apparently many people still believe that a paper document is more reliable than a digital one.
This is completely untrue, as both can be easily modified, but the world is full of places that need documents faxed or sent by snail mail, and won't accept digital versions or scans sent by email.
And I very often hear people claim they just can't concentrate on something if they don't have it in front of them in paper form. Stupid, yes, but what can you do?
If you are their employer you can force them to use a computer, but they'll just print everything out. And you can't just disconnect all the printers, because then your office won't be able to communicate with all the others that want snail mail and faxes.

So the paperless office can't yet exist due to ignorance and stubborness, IMO.

Microwave ovens haven't replaced conventional, convection ovens.
That's due to the different cooking types. You can't heat all foods in a microwave.

Washing machines continue to be glossy new versions of the original in general design
Well, there are ultrasonic washers, but I guess their performance isn't good enough if they haven't yet supplanted washing machines.
I wonder if one could make a standard washing machine that, alongside the rotating container, also had an ultrasonic washer...

As for video communication, I believe the big problem is that people don't want it. Or to put it better: some really want it, some just want it occasionally, but the majority doesn't care.
And I sure don't want it. When I'm talking to someone I don't want them to see me making fun of them, or picking my nose (not that I do :p), or whatever I might feel like doing.

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've seen a device called a "combination washer/dryer" offered as a prize on a certain game show - the one with a rather elderly host that urges you to have your pets spayed or neutered - though I have never seen one firsthand.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's been sort of said, but not outright so I'll say it. :)

Cars without a hybrid component will die out in the next 5 years or so. It's just too easy to make a hybrid that adresses either pollution, economy or power needs.

Broadcast NTSC TV is going away too. Between HD, Cable and Dish networks the old analog signals will go away.

I have the feeling that VCR's are pretty dead too. DVD recorders do most of what a VCR does, and DVRs like TiV0 do a lot more than a VCR can. We never watch unfiltered TV anymore. It always goes through a TiVO.

Daniel

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Phillips brand of washer/dryer was available in the early 1960's and did a good job...when it wasn't broken. The behemoth had a complex three speed, solenoid shifted transmission that needed occasional servicing and the complexity of the other components was a little too much for that era's manufacturing ability.

Westinghouse had a front loader in the later 60's. I kept my mother's limping along until 1985.

Now, both types have made a comeback.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Incandescent lighting is obviously the first thing which comes to mind. Within probably five short years it will be as hard to get an incandescent lamp as it is presently is to get a tube stereo."

One would reasonably assume that conclusion unless you were an audio enthusiast. However, there is now more high quality tube gear and tube brands available since the 1960's. I've been into stereo since forever and would not have believed this revival, based upon the trend of the 1970's & 80's.

Chopping the audio signal into thousands of pieces and reassembling it had unforeseen consequences which have been expensive to overcome for high quality sound. Analog can often sound better than CD & DVDs. Modern LPs, turntables and cartridges may be a little noisier but they don't filter out audio cues that make the sound more realistic. I, too, never figured my old but good vinyl/turntable combo would rival my CDs and player.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
"Incandescent lighting is obviously the first thing which comes to mind. Within probably five short years it will be as hard to get an incandescent lamp as it is presently is to get a tube stereo."

One would reasonably assume that conclusion unless you were an audio enthusiast.
I actually had the conclusion you had in mind when I wrote that sentence. I know you can get tube audio gear these days even though I'm about as far from an audio enthusiast as they come (I don't even really listen to music much these days). I also know that tube audio gear, despite the present large array of brands, is not something for sale in mainstream stores, either. So yes, in five years you'll probably still be able to get incandescent lighting, but not at Home Depot or Walmart or your local grocery store. Then again, unlike tube audio which has the perceived/real advantages you mentioned, I can't see how incandescent light would be better in any way than LED in five years time. We'll be able to mimic broadband spectrums very well with LED, I have little doubt of that. Perhaps for some application requiring light and IR heat incandescent might be better. So I definitely see a much smaller niche market for incandescents than currently exists for tube audio gear, but I still see a niche market nonetheless.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know audiophiles that would argue that cd's aren't even in the same ballpark.

But it's *real* hard to get them to test this in a double blind study.

We see people at out festivals that will demand a particular tube type amp, because of the sound the tubes give, then stick a mic in front of it and feed the sound through a solid state system. There *has* to be a loss and if the tubes did give off a sound that only a tube can, it would be lost going through the solid state systems.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've learned the world of many audiophiles has nothing to do with science and rationality whatsoever.
When you find someone who starts extolling the virtues of solid-state-fed tube amps, expensive overengineered cables and $485 wooden knobs you nod approvingly and then scuttle away as soon as you can.

Screehopper

Enlightened
While some people will cling to vinyl records, vacuum tubes, and other old technology the masses will go for newer technologies. Most watches have quartz crystals today.

Not my watch. I have a an Seiko Monster (Automatic Movement) which is fully mechanical.

Screehopper

Enlightened
And I very often hear people claim they just can't concentrate on something if they don't have it in front of them in paper form. Stupid, yes, but what can you do?

So the paperless office can't yet exist due to ignorance and stubborness, IMO.

I found it difficult taking the math portions of an exam on the computer screen. I had to redraw figures onto paper just so that I can put marks onto the figures.

And for the reading portions, I couldn't underline or highlight important parts of the text since it was on a computer screen.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maths I can understand, because it requires a lot of scribbling which is hard to do on a computer screen.
As for reading, there are simple programs that allow you to underline or highlight on-screen text.

As for the watch: I can understand why someone would be interested in the workings, but personally I consider mechanical watches good to be put on stands, not on wrists. You can't beat the practicality of a button cell powered quartz watch.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fallingwater those knobs are the most extreme example of insane consumerism I have ever seen in my life!!

absolutely unbelievable, if you wrote this stuff no one would believe it....well maybe the people who bought those knobs..do you think they sold ANY? maybe it was just done on a bet as a joke or something..

and I thought 'Audiophile' was nutty...

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dyna, too much! you guys are blowin ma mind. these excesses somehow signal to me the end of civilization as we know it even more than extinction of the species and global warming; the fact that there are enough crazy people with too much money to support this crap while other people are starving to death just makes think more than ever that the world is doomed..
:shakehead

for something on topic; it's very interesting to look through some Popular Science magazines from the 1980's..especially articles about the 'coming digital revolution,' you know right away who was right on track or way wrong !

knot

Banned
I will never live in a place like Flushing, NY. I love my SUV and yes, I do take it off road every week. Behind my house is miles of off road fun./

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I will never live in a place like Flushing, NY. I love my SUV and yes, I do take it off road every week. Behind my house is miles of off road fun./
What does this have to with the main topic of the thread? I'll grant that housing is expensive here (a single family home is ~$650,000), and I'm not wild about the pollution or noise from the airports, but the amenities, ethnic foods, wide array of things to do, and lack of the need to own a car, more than make up for it. I guess to each his own. I probably wouldn't be any happier living where you are than you would be in Flushing. I'm glad not everyone wants to live in the city or housing here would be even more ridiculous.

I'm also thrilled that you're one of the few people who actually uses an SUV for what it's designed for. For many local SUV owners about the closest they'll ever get to offroad is when they accidentally park with a wheel on the sidewalk.

Now speaking of things I see going away soon, it looks like paper checks are getting pretty close to obsolete with electronic bill paying. I'm guessing a few more years and they're history.

Pennies and nickels should be history by now as they cost more to produce than their face value. Hopefully in a few years. Pennies especially are just a nuisance at this point.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now speaking of things I see going away soon, it looks like paper checks are getting pretty close to obsolete with electronic bill paying. I'm guessing a few more years and they're history.

This wouldn't break my heart any. There's not much more annoying than being in a hurry at the grocery store and someone in front of you is paying with a paper check. It wouldn't be so bad if they filled out the majority of the check while the cashier was ringing up their purchase so that all they have to do is write in the amount, but I've never seen that happen. So easy to swipe your card, select debit, enter your pin, and be done.

:buddies: