The 5.75 Nautical Mile Flash(lite) - 300 Lumens! 40 times brighter than common flashlights!!!

wweiss

Enlightened
From the Sharper Image catalogue.

CFE4A1A2-4A31-4EED-A53B-937944A404F0.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was on the fence until seeing it zooms.
Sold!!

In all seriousness it states can be seen up to 5.75 nautical miles, which is highly possible. Afterall out on the ocean it's pretty dark on a moonless night so it stands to reason somebody that far away could see a tiny little blip of a flashing light.

wweiss

Enlightened
I have 4 on there way. Like to see how they are compared to my Malkoff's 😁
I'm sorry, sir - but you need a special permit to purchase more than one of these lights. 300 Lumens is above the permitted civilian range of use. Please send a copy of your relevant police / military documentation? Thank you.

wweiss

Enlightened
I was on the fence until seeing it zooms.
Sold!!

In all seriousness it states can be seen up to 5.75 nautical miles, which is highly possible. Afterall out on the ocean it's pretty dark on a moonless night so it stands to reason somebody that far away could see a tiny little blip of a flashing light.
Yes, but at 5.76 nautical miles, your rescue is doomed…

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a rebranded atomic beam flashlight. Those you can get for under $20 and will also take an 18650 to double the brightness. Don't know if that one will. Never fall for the "can be seen from" ads. There's a big difference between that and throw. The first LRI Photon flashlights advertised "can be seen from a mile away". They were no brighter than a few lumens, if that. I have a 35 watt h.i.d. spotlight that throws a beam and can be seen 10 miles away. How do I know? I shined it up at the eastern Sierra Nevadas from a campground in Independence, CA in November and the only person on the mountain top shined their Petzl Myo XP headlight back. My light's beam reached that backpacker. His much dimmer headlight was just seen from 10 miles away.

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
Looks like a rebranded atomic beam flashlight. Those you can get for under $20 and will also take an 18650 to double the brightness. Don't know if that one will. Never fall for the "can be seen from" ads. There's a big difference between that and throw. The first LRI Photon flashlights advertised "can be seen from a mile away". They were no brighter than a few lumens, if that. I have a 35 watt h.i.d. spotlight that throws a beam and can be seen 10 miles away. How do I know? I shined it up at the eastern Sierra Nevadas from a campground in Independence, CA in November and the only person on the mountain top shined their Petzl Myo XP headlight back. My light's beam reached that backpacker. His much dimmer headlight was just seen from 10 miles away.
In the clear dry air of those mountains you can see miles further than the water vapor layered surface of the ocean or a lake.

3_gun

Enlightened
I have one of these that I got at an estate sale for $1. To a "normie" the light is amazeballs & then some since many/most have only used D, C & AA cell lights. The police lights that cost hundreds are way to much money & use weird, expensive batteries & this is as bright or brighter & it's so small.

Really I can't blame someone who isn't a flashlight nerd falling for this ad. Truth be told it is an impressive light on a few levels to a nube. The light I have will run on the 3AAA pac, 123a's, 18650 & 21700. The zoom works reasonably well & the build isn't horrible. For 90% of the population it's not a bad light. On the other hand, people like us who uses lights for work & play will never put up with the horrible run times & silly UI & spotty beam when we know we can get so much better for the same cost or less. But there is the rub, we know they don't.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I gave one the these to My maintenance guy at work. Think it was gifted to me. Been 6-8 months and the dam thing is still working 😂😂 looks like it has been dragged behind a truck for 10 miles but she's still going strong. 🤔

hamhanded

Enlightened

Only if the earth were flat, unless there's a 25 foot mast and a crow's nest included in the box!

wweiss

Enlightened
I'm thinking my SDRHDS can't shine 5.75 nautical miles, so I'm selling it and buying 6 of these, ductaping them together to make a mega-thrower. I can EDC it in my daypack…

wweiss

Enlightened
I gave one the these to My maintenance guy at work. Think it was gifted to me. Been 6-8 months and the dam thing is still working 😂😂 looks like it has been dragged behind a truck for 10 miles but she's still going strong. 🤔
Of course it is - these things live as long as a Mutt.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good light can take a beating and still look and function great. I think the toughest light I've ever owned is a Gerber LX 3.0. It's very old. Used it a lot in 2006 on a job wiring up a clean room in Arizona. I dropped it several hundred times on concrete and it got smacked against a metal escape ladder every single day. It was used in temperatures over 100 degrees constantly. It still works just fine. Sidewalls of the light are nice and thick. You could run it over with a car with no problem. Light turns on my twisting the solid aluminum tailcap. Has nothing to break on it except the l.e.d. that will eventually wear out. Too bad they never upgraded the light. My point is a good light is going to last you longer than dozens of cheapo lights.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking my SDRHDS can't shine 5.75 nautical miles, so I'm selling it and buying 6 of these, ductaping them together to make a mega-thrower. I can EDC it in my daypack…
The only way those lights will shine 5.75 miles is if you shoot them out some sort of gun or cannon while turned on or mount them to a drone.