The "Life's most important questions" thread...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why is round pizza served in a square box?
Human laziness....
It's easier to make a square box than a round one without crushing the cardboard. It's easier to make a round pizza pie than a square one. No special pan needed. That's why a typical Sicilian slice costs more than a regular slice.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You're Welcome.
Thankfully, living in NYC, I have access to the best pizza in the world; outside of Italy. (Honestly, it's one of the very few positive things about living here.)

You're Welcome.
Thankfully, living in NYC, I have access to the best pizza in the world; outside of Italy. (Honestly, it's one of the very few positive things about living here.)
I don't have any firsthand - hands-on knowledge of Italian pizza, but I have heard and/or read it doesn't even try to compete with USA pizza. It's just dough & cheese.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't have any firsthand - hands-on knowledge of Italian pizza, but I have heard and/or read it doesn't even try to compete with USA pizza. It's just dough & cheese.
Oh, it is different than a standard slice. But you can get legit Italian pizza from any pizzaria run by actual Italians. The dough tends to be even thinner than a New York slice. No processed, shredded cheese. No sauce in a giant can. You get fresh home-made sauce. And, the Mozzarella cheese is fresh too. Just very thin slices of it on top of the freshly made sauce. Three simple ingredients. Usually double the price of a NYC slice. Which itself is now creeping up to almost $4.oo a slice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The first pizzaria in America was Lombardis in 1905 hence "New York pizza" term. Some said the original US pizza was red white and green (tomato sauce, basil and mozerella cheese) like the Italian flag.

Originaly pizza was a square dish eaten with a knife and fork. It was later made round and cut into hand held slices. At first it did not have tomato sauce but was flat bread covered with flavorings like oils and garlic.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The first pizzaria in America was Lombardis in 1905 hence "New York pizza" term. Some said the original US pizza was red white and green (tomato sauce, basil and mozerella cheese) like the Italian flag.

Originaly pizza was a square dish eaten with a knife and fork. It was later made round and cut into hand held slices. At first it did not have tomato sauce but was flat bread covered with flavorings like oils and garlic.
Perhaps Pizza in America was originally eaten with a knife and fork. But in Italy it was considered to be "Peasant food" by the wealthy. Cheap, tasty, very easy to make with few ingredients. And, definitely eaten by hand with no utensils. Many Pizza places in America still sell the original (grand-ma) square slice. Different from the giant puffy Sicilian slice which are more common.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly every restaurant pizza Ive ever had was eaten with knife & fork, only street pizza or take out is hand held. My main issue with Italians is that none of them seem to know how to cut vegetables properly. I like olives & tomates as much as the next guy, but I dont need whole olives or halved tomatoes on my pizza. Every time. Is it so hard to slice them thinner?

Latest posts