Trade HDS Basic 42 for Surefire L1?

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
I am considering trading/selling my HDS basic 42 for a surefire L1. I do not need a light for EDC, as I carry a peak AAA and anything any larger is too big for me to EDC. I mainly want a light to keep with me when I know I will be needing it, such as for camping, night fising etc. Would this be a good swap or would I be downgrading?
Thanks

Daniel

ront

Newly Enlightened
Shouldn't this go in the Buy, Sell, Trade forums? I think you may get a better response there.

Ron

I guess I was reading more into this than I should have been. If you are asking for advice, this is definitely where you want to be. Sorry.

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that it's okay here but he may want to edit the thread title to reflect that he is looking for advice on the trade.

Unless there is a specific characteristic that you dislike on the HDS or something that really appeals to you in the surefire, stick with the HDS. The HDS is brighter on high and offers additional levels. It is also more compact and has a reflector while the L1 uses a TIR lense (I dislike these). Both of these are single sell lights.

I think you might want to consider an L2 or an L4. They will put out more light and if you add one of Dons 2 stage switches to the l4 it would be a dual level light and the L2 is a dual level light out of the box.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I too would vote for the HDS over the L1, and would second the suggestion for a two stage modded L4 if you want something really bright and small.

cfb

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
For camping and night fishing I think the HDS is going to be a lot more usable. On the primary setting, you get 8 hours runtime which is plenty of light for most tasks. The low on the L1 is almost too low for what you want the light for. I would keep the HDS. :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
DanMan4142 said:
I am considering trading/selling my HDS Basic 42 for a SureFire L1. . .Would this be a good swap or would I be downgrading?
Like we used to say in Hawaii—"Ketchup Toyu!" :crackup:

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Freak no!!!! Send me your 42 and you can have my E2D with the KL1 on it.

cy

Flashaholic
Surefire L1 is one of my favorite lights. but you need to get rid of optic and insert so17 reflector.

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the reply's and advice guys, and sorry for taking so long to respond. I was at school all day yesterday until 11pm so I never had a chance to respond. I still havent decided what I want to do, I was just thinking of an excuse for a new light that I cant afford right now ;). I figured the consensus would be that the L1 is not quite as versatile as the HDS, but I guess I really like the way that you can press partway for low level, and then just push the rest of the way for full. Thats my only problem with the HDS, and its not a really big one just something I have noticed, I would rather not have to click click click etc.

cy

Flashaholic
my personal preferance is a mechanical interface like Surefire L1 or Mclux PD VS an electronic interface like HDS or lioncub.

I'd pick the light with controls you prefer.

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Well, after some thought I am actually leaning more towards an L4 with 2 stage tailcap. How would you stack that up agains the HDS 42? I know i cant trade straight across for that one, but it seems like it might be better suited to me than an L1.
Thanks

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont trade in the HDS42, that is a good all rounder light.
But do get yourself the L1 cause it rock too and not as complicated. But the low level of the L1 is kinda dim especially for fishing.
No harm in owning both.