Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Fenix E05.

Same here, got one on my keys, fits the bill perfectly (small, floody, single mode).

I've been wanting to check on out for a while now, looks really nice. I offered to replace my wife's E01 with the E05, but she said the E01 works perfectly for her needs (nurse, checking eyes of patients).....SO, I guess I gotta come up with another reason :whistle:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a LF2XT. I felt it was way too small.

For me, I need a flashlight to take up a certain minimum amount of space in the palm of my hand to feel 'correct'.

E series customs is as small as I can go. 18650 TB E series split body is about as big as I care to go.

Just my 2 cents. If I could have any AAA light, it would be the new one you just snagged. The full knurl is tight.

obi

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
[...]
I'm currently carrying a DQG III AAA.

I have a DQG II AAA on my keychain, and it's the perfect keychain size in my opinion.

a 2xAAA Preon2 is a great shirt pocket size. good runtimes, nice and bright.

I hope the next AAA I get will be the MBI Torpedo :fingerscrossed:

I've been lusting after some sort of Peak AAA, but can't make up my mind what to get. And I want a clip. I know the AA Modoo clip can be ground down, but my freehand grinding skills are a bit sloppy. Well, someday.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If we're talking 'keychain' lights, then yes, an AAA light like a Maglite Solitaire can be fine, or even those 'coin lights' that Battery Junction (and others) is giving away. I've got a little 4x357 button, 3 LED 'Chang Special' on my keychain and it's fine for most of my needs and at $2, it's no loss if I lose it.

Now, for an EDC pocket carry light, I just got a Xeno E03 in and it's a pretty smallish light that can run on any AA sized battery, so why not go this route with three times the capacity of a AAA and not a whole lot longer, or thicker? The outputs are greater, as well, even on alkalines vs. Li-Lion.
So you're going to compare two of the most anemic options when it comes to AAA to a pocket rocket and use that as a reason not to go with AAA? Why not go the opposite direction and compare the output of the Torpedo to an incandescent MagLite?

The main thrust of the thread was not based on a Solitaire or cheesy 'Chang Special' (not even a AAA light), but a Univex AAA and an LF2XT, which don't belong in the same category at all.

The point you made here in your post is valid, but only because it's your preference and for the reasons stated above make your observations irrelevant to this thread.
beautiful light, i would want one too.
i am not sure though if it is REALLY practical as EDC keychain pendant.

the weight.
If you'd been paying attention you would have noticed that the SS LD01 is a pretty popular light around here, and they definitely don't require a particularly burly build to carry one. Too heavy for you or me? Maybe, but for plenty of others, perfection.

AAA lights are here to stay, especially now as they grow ever in capability, which is pretty well represented in the lights the thread was started around.

davecroft

Enlightened
I like small lights - that way they carried with me rather than left behind on a trip. The same way I will carry a small 'phone, multi-tool or camera, etc - yes, you can get bigger and heavier gear which will do a lot more, but what use are they if you have left them at home?

As an example I used to have a lovely Olympus 35mm SLR with several lenses, it took fantastic pictures but I gave up taking it everywhere in my rucksac because it was heavy and cumbersome to lug up a mountain and consequently I missed some fantastic shots. Sold it and now have a tiny little Sony Cybershot which goes in a shirt pocket. Pictures are maybe not quite as good but it's always with me.

You can get more functions, longer runtimes and more lumens from a big light but I won't carry it unless I'm definately going to be out after dark. My E01 and E05 are always on my keys so I don't even have to think about them, they are there when needed.

Last edited:

clark-kentski

Newly Enlightened
I ve been considering an Arc AAA Made in the USA ,they dont seem powerful but seem rugged,anybody like them?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, I have a few that I rotate through. Today was a Fenix L0D Q4, and an SS Eiger 10280 on my keys.

Tomorrow, maybe the Eiger X high CRI, or the Maratac SS, DQG I or II, or Revo SS neutral.

Then again, there's the Thrunite Ti, or go old school with the Matterhorn single....

I'm always looking at the AAAs. You hardly know they're there when you've got them in your pocket, and lately, they can match many larger lights in output, and function as long as throw isn't needed!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I like small lights - that way they carried with me rather than left behind on a trip. The same way I will carry a small 'phone, multi-tool or camera, etc - yes, you can get bigger and heavier gear which will do a lot more, but what use are they if you have left them at home?

As an example I used to have a lovely Olympus 35mm SLR with several lenses, it took fantastic pictures but I gave up taking it everywhere in my rucksack because it was heavy and cumbersome to lug up a mountain and consequently I missed some fantastic shots. Sold it and now have a tiny little Sony Cybershot which goes in a shirt pocket. Pictures are maybe not quite as good but it's always with me.

You can get more functions, longer runtimes and more lumens from a big light but I won't carry it unless I'm definitely going to be out after dark. My E01 and E05 are always on my keys so I don't even have to think about them, they are there when needed.
I did the same thing in getting rid of my superior SLR for a camera that didn't need any special effort to always have with me, and now I wear a digital on my belt as part of my daily wear.
Agreed, I have a few that I rotate through. Today was a Fenix L0D Q4, and an SS Eiger 10280 on my keys.

Tomorrow, maybe the Eiger X high CRI, or the Maratac SS, DQG I or II, or Revo SS neutral.

Then again, there's the Thrunite Ti, or go old school with the Matterhorn single....

I'm always looking at the AAA's. You hardly know they're there when you've got them in your pocket, and lately, they can match many larger lights in output, and function as long as throw isn't needed!
They can fit anywhere so easily - I just packed a bunch of my stuff and have a box for my bigger lights, and a wallet sized pouch into which I placed 17 AAA lights, with room for one or two more!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread. I love my Mako Flood(s), ThruNite Ti(s), Quark Preon 0(s) and have a DQG AAA on the way. The old expression, "the most useful (whatever) is the one that you have with you..."

I ALWAYS have, at bare minimum, one of these AAA beauties with me, and a ThruNite Ti Firefly has been on my keychain for the past 6 months. It's such a useful little light!

Last edited:

sassaquin

Enlightened
I've been lusting after some sort of Peak AAA, but can't make up my mind what to get. And I want a clip. I know the AA Modoo clip can be ground down, but my freehand grinding skills are a bit sloppy. Well, someday.

Jason at DarkSucks.com designed and sells a nice titanium clip for the Peak Eiger ($20 + shipping).

LGT

Enlightened
I always have at least one AAA light with me. Two brass peak eigers, one level 8, and a neutral QTC in the side pockets of my leatherman sheath and an iTP A2 on my keychain. The output of these lights can be quite handy when you just don't want to carry a bigger light. Very impressive for something running on a AAA. Forgot to mention my Arc and fenix E05, which took a ride through the washing machine and continues to operate flawlessly.

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
I have LD01 and E05 in my daily rotation. Somehow I've never been satisfied with their runtimes, so I've started carrying a spare alkaline or Eneloop battery (in a DIY container) as mandatory. Love the AAA and plan to buy more - me happy now :)

fyrstormer

Banned
I have a Sapphire 25 that I've modded with a warm Nichia DS; I use it for navigating in the bedroom after lights-out. Something brighter would be nice, but I can't find anything well-built that stays on the market for more than a few hours, and anyway, an AAA battery just can't keep up with even a CR123, to say nothing of an IMR16340.

fyrstormer

Banned
I have LD01 and E05 in my daily rotation. Somehow I've never been satisfied with their runtimes, so I've started carrying a spare alkaline or Eneloop battery (in a DIY container) as mandatory. Love the AAA and plan to buy more - me happy now :)
CountyComm sells very nice government-surplus Delrin "battery lockers" in CR123, AA, and AAA sizes. Check them out.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preon neutral (setup with 1xAA) in my bag. 40DD in my pocket (neutral spot), and Milky Tiger (Surefire L1 mod) on my hip in a AOTH tan stingray holster. It was the milky that got used today. L1 modded for 1xAA use with trit in clip did hotel bedside duty last night (& will again tonight).

scout24

Flashaholic
Beat to death EO1 on my keys, Mako warm on my Mini bic/ SAK splitring mixed in with my change, and a Thrunite Ti which can fill in as edc primary if really needed. P0 as nightstand AAA flooder... It's a great cell size! Lots of good AAA choices. I used to run an LDO1 on 10440 until I badly overheated it and the emitter gave up. Better choices than AAA for lots of lumens, but it's cool to be able to carry a few with you! :)