What are some other words which are commonly mispronounced?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I say...

I am greatly AFFECTED by this thread
It is an EFFECT of how some have misunderstood the use of verbs and nouns.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Here's another one I just saw - unappropriate instead of inappropriate.

I hope this thread has a positive effect on spelling, pronunciation and usage without anyone being affected in a negative manner.

None of us is ever going to be perfect but it never hurts to try and improve. Thanks to all, I've learned a lot already!
hahaha.gif

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Fortunately . . . .

i NEVER make any spelling misteaks !

lovecpf
_

Sprinkles

Newly Enlightened
I cringe when I hear people ask for "...another shot of EXPRESSO" :sick2: YIKES! Where in the world did the X come from?? It's e-s-p-r-e-s-s-o!

Apparently, dictionaries are beginning to list words on the basis of their frequency of use. That's pretty pathetic given there are FAR too many uneducated people in the world to trust their interpretive skills. What the heck is the point of the dictionary if you can just make a mistake, continue using it, and eventually it becomes a legitimate word in the English language!:(

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
What the heck is the point of the dictionary if you can just make a mistake, continue using it, and eventually it becomes a legitimate word in the English language!:(

Surely, that is how a language evolves over time. Pronunciations change or a word can take on a different meaning and eventually becomes part of the mainstream.

For example, the word "wicked" can mean "not good" or "very good".

Another is "fast" which can mean "moving quickly" or "not moving at all".

A dictionary is just a snapshot of a language at a given point in time.

Sprinkles

Newly Enlightened
Surely, that is how a language evolves over time. Pronunciations change or a word can take on a different meaning and eventually becomes part of the mainstream.

For example, the word "wicked" can mean "not good" or "very good".

Another is "fast" which can mean "moving quickly" or "not moving at all".

A dictionary is just a snapshot of a language at a given point in time.

I'm not referring to the vernacular differences that arise. I'm referring to something as simple as a spelling mistake, based on it's popularity, ending up in the dictionary as "EXPRESSO - a variant of espresso; a coffee drink." It's like me saying, "I don't like spelling 'juice' like that anymore. From now on, I'm going to spell it 'g-u-c-e.' Yes, much better."

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
These forums are replete with my grammatical errors, in my defense I was raised in a tiny part of this country with its(or is it it's) own language. :p For those with far too much time on their hands.
Now spelling is between my spell checker and I (or is it me).:duh2:
That's okay - my own posts are full of them too, but this thread was primarily aimed at mispronunciation. Now how about a couple shots of expresso. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I HATE that one. :scowl:

It makes me recall how a security guard lost his job over that one.

He was a young cat. On his official report one day, he wrote down that he was conversating with a member of the client's staff, regarding a security issue.

Client took one look at the report, smiled, said "Bless his heart." And then politely told the account manager to get rid of him. Wasn't based on anger. Client's realize that security reports are technically legal documents which can be presented in court if someone sues. A less-than-professional report will look bad in a court room. So he had to go.

Greta

Flashaholic
I cringe every time I hear someone say "tooken". Makes me want to hunt down their school teachers and slap them.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure? The verb "to effect" means "to cause something to happen", while the verb "to affect" means "to have an effect on".

For example:

The effects of the bomb blast were numerous. (noun)
The military commander effected the dropping of the bombs. (verb)
The noun "affect" is a psychology term and I don't get it. (noun)
The psychology teacher affected the students in many ways. (verb)

Your second example is the scenario where the rule of thumb may cause a person to select the wrong word.

"The military commander effected the dropping of the bombs."

vs

"The military commander affected the dropping of the bombs."

Both are well formed sentences, but even in context, it might be hard for the reader to catch the mistake until several sentences later.

--flatline

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all about consideration for others I mean this IS an International Forum, try to remember English (UK/US/AUS) is not everyone's primary language :D

I resigned from the Grammar Police many years ago (life is less stressful now) LMAO :crackup:

andyw513

Enlightened
Medical Microbiology class:

opiant = opiate
sodie = sodium
nitrous = nitrate <--I swear I hate this one.
solucinations = hallucinations

Astronomy...BASIC astronomy course:

wang = wane
satiggarius = sagittarius
Uranius (same guy called it err-inous) = Uranus

I'll have more, just let me "thank" a while...

Starlight

Enlightened
I play golf with a guy whose pronunciation and grammar are so bad, I tell him that English must not be his primary language. (He's was born and raised in New York.)

Last edited: