What did you use your flashlight for today?

fvansalemor

Newly Enlightened
Torn down 31 under desk computers, boxed them up, moved them two miles to their new home and set them up. Cough cough cough in the dust

Xacto

Enlightened
[...]The game was Star Command (Like Quasar or Lazer Tag - large dark auditorium with obstacles and smoke and loud music - great) - I was alone against three nine year olds - my son and his friends. Obviously it was going to be me against the Horde of trigger happy kids.

Great post, reminds me of a missed opportunity back in 1994 in the Trocadero center.

Cheers
Thorsten

Zuriel

Newly Enlightened
Finding my way to the stairs upon waking up, and because it's Sunday, just playing with it :D

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Today I was outnumbered. Really outnumbered. Just me and my gun against three crack shots armed to the teeth. It was dark. It was smokey. There was loud music playing. But luckily I had my Firstlight tomahawk!

The game was Star Command (Like Quasar or Lazer Tag - large dark auditorium with obstacles and smoke and loud music - great) - I was alone against three nine year olds - my son and his friends. Obviously it was going to be me against the Horde of trigger happy kids.

After about ten minutes of being slaughtered, I decided to test out the various strobes on the light - basic defensive strobe was very good at disorientating them long enough until I could shoot them all and continue to their base for a goal (Shooting incapacitates them for twenty seconds) Then later in the game I put on the attention strobe and left it pointing at an empty corridor - this strobe flashes white green and red in a repeating pattern. I discovered this would make them fire at the flashlight and not at me as I polished them off again.

They soon saw through these methods, but at least they proved these modes may have a purpose in a little light combat.

BTW they scored 5700 against my 30,000. Life is sweet.

Downer is it cost me for the game and ice cream smoothies afterwards, but that's what Dads are for!

Good Saturday fun with torches in darkened rooms.

In the spirit of this year's Olympics I would like to offer this quote. Slightly modified of course.

"The most important thing in Star Command is not winning, but taking part. The essential thin in life is not conquering, but fighting well

ruskythegreat

Newly Enlightened
I used a SSC P7 to see under the bath while trying to work out why it wasn't draining. I would have used my Maglite AA if my 3 1/2 year old hadn't ripped the emitter off & damaged the reflector. :hairpull:

And the bath still doesn't drain properly!

Last edited by a moderator:

YAK-28

Enlightened
took the wife and one of her friends to a free outdoor modern dance performance in a local park last night. walking back to the car after the performance,
i had chance/excuse to use my new ld41 to help light our way back to the minivan. along the way we seemed to gather a number of tag alongs. i'm suprised that
i saw quite a few small lights reading their programs, but not many bigger/more useful lights helping them back to their cars through a very dimly light park
and parking lot. walking back we approached 3 car backing towards each other, with many people shouting for them to stop. i brought up the light and quickly
swept it across the 3 cars and they all stopped with no damage. next week there is another performance, this one is in a civil war era graveyard. last year i took
my tk70 to help get back to the minivan.

Barefootone

Enlightened
JUST SAYIN..... What did you use your flashlight for today?

JUST SAYIN....

I wanted to tell relate how well my my original Mule (Nickel plated aluminum?) performed under water last night :wow:. I know Don always says his lights are not under water lights, but can withstand brief submersions.
My wife and I were at my daughters yesterday for a birthday party for my Granddaughter. They have a in ground pool and we were swimming in the dark so we turned the underwater flood light on, but it blew as we turned it on. Long story short we changed the flood lamp in the underwater housing with the help of my Mule. I held the Msuperlativeule underwater while my son-in-law took the light housing out of the wall. It probably took us 15 minutes of underwater work to get the job done and the Mule saved the day. The large area of illumination the Mule provided gave us a very good work area under water. The Mule performed flawlessly and never lost it's integrity underwater. I opened the Mule and did find a few very small drops of water so I have left it apart to air dry, albeit the Mule still turns on just fine.
So I just have to say bravo the Mule saved the day and this was the very first time I employed one of Don's lights to an underwater task. I just had to share this with you all.
The integrity of Don's lights is superlative and they perform above and beyond IMHO.

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Re: JUST SAYIN..... What did you use your flashlight for today?

My Kershaw OD1 Flipper is getting stiff. Was looking at it but needed a little more light to see inside to check out the workings. My Old but 100% reliable Quark Mini CR2

Richub

Enlightened
Used my TK41 on medium to hunt down a mosquito that kept buzzing around my head last night. :mad:

After I spotted it, I was able to catch it between the wall and the head of my TK41, switching the TK41 to turbo for 5 seconds then did the job.
I dunno if that little bugger was rare or well done afterwards, but it sure stopped it buzzing around my head. ;)

Earlier that night me and my TK41 helped a neighbor look for a lost set of keys in a field.
There were 3 more people searching there already using small $5 3x 5 mm Nichia LED lights. I was surprised how well these cheap lights actually perform at short distances.
Turning on that TK41 on turbo allowed me to swoop around the field in no-time but we never found those keys... That TK41 sure impressed those other people though. ;)

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1 was carried as my EDC today to satisfy a primal urge to have a sentimental object in close proximity... sad eh? :p

I love this little light :rock:

OCD

Enlightened
While out of town for a wedding this weekend, a storm blew in Saturday afternoon as my in-laws and I (4 kids, 8 adults) were eating lunch in the hotel lobby. The lights flickered 3-4 times and finally went out. The emergency lights kicked on, but they didn't offer much light (although truth be told, we were sitting near a large picture window that offered a good deal of outside light). I pulled out my HDS 200, clicked it on high and lit up the lobby as we finished eating and my brother-in-law pulled out his Preon 1 that my wife and I gave him for his b-day this past March. We had less than an hour before we had to leave for the wedding, so we all made the trip up the 3 flights of stairs to our rooms with the first stop being my room, where I got one of my 3 extra lights (I always carry 2 on me, so I had a total of 5) and gave my Quark 2xAA Turbo to my mother-in-law to finish getting ready. No one else seemed interested in using the other 2 - my RRT-0 and my EagleTac P100C2).

Once in my room, I switched out the raised button for the flat and put a water bottle cap on my HDS, set it on the soap holder in the shower and proceeded to take my shower. I then shaved using the same set up. The wife used the RRT-0 periodically in the room.

I had all of these in a small back pack along with spare batteries (10 primary 123's, 3 RCR123's, 6 L91's and 3 Duraloop AAA's) for all 5 lights along with a few other essentials. They were making fun of what I called my "man bag" earlier in the trip, but not once the lights went out! Finally some vindication!

Edit:

Right after the lights went out and I switched on my light, a family came into the lobby to wait out the storm and the lady mentioned how smart it was that I had a light and asked if I always carry a flashlight. I said yes and my wife chimed in "TWO". The lady said how smart and handy that was and then asked if i always carry a pocket knife as well. I replied "two" which she again mentioned how much more handy that was. She said the only thing more handy would be a screwdriver to which I told her one of my knives is a multi-tool... so I have that and pliers. My wife then spoke up to say "don't encourage him"!

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
I actually didn't use my light, however as I was just walking the dog in the park (road is across the water) I heard someone yelling loudly and aggressively and I heard the noise of someone running really fast on the side of the road. I saw another guy getting into a car and drive off. It seemed like someone had provoked the guy running and got away (judging by the difficult to hear yelling after the other guy drove off). As I had stopped and calmly observed what was happening I noticed my hand had slid down to my Olight T20 clipped to my right front jeans pocket in case I needed it.

Always sort of amazes me how calm I can stay when I see/hear something happening and then just observe and assert the situation.

Edit: I did however use my Thrunite Ti on low when coming back into the house after the walk to not awaken my girlfriend.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
This just happened minutes before I am typing this.

I was at home with my family doing the usual routine. Just a few minutes after I got out of the shower, the power went out.

Needless to say, I took out my flashlight arsenal, and chose the Fenix TK45. I set it on high, then just left it on the desk tail standing. It easily illuminated the whole living room easily

Although I was lucky that the power didn't went out while I was in the shower. So from now on, I'll keep a light in the bathroom as well:)

tam17

Enlightened
Used my d-c-fixed Fenix LD15 (High mode) to light the way in front of a 4-seater pedal quad that we rented this evening on the promenade near the Danube river. Brother-in-law's 6 years old kid operated the light with a great pride. Great fun!:)

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
well last night we went to medieval times and I used my HDS 170 on lowest mode to read things during the show with out disturbing anyone