What did you use your flashlight for today?

Xacto

Enlightened
Monday evening we had all windows open to let the cool evening air in our flat (AC is usually not installed in german flats). Used my Surefire L1 with the red filter cap for navigating around the flat.

Cheers
Thorsten

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I used it to take trash to the curb at about 2am...maby I didn't "need" it but I always look for excuses to fire one up

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
My 7yo used my sunwayman Ti yesterday morning to search through the cabinets in the kitchen for the missing cat called "goose". Goose loves to get in the cabinets and move internally throughout the drawers and cabinet system and foil my 7yo who searches until she discovers where the cat has gone. Sure enough she found Goose . . . poor Goose. When she brought back my light she said "Mommy, that lite is way better than old bluey. Can I have one like that?" - old bluey is a Fenix 01 - you know an 11 dollar version that I proudly gave to each of my children so they could have a neat little lite - and hopefully leave mine ALONE. YES, the sunwayman is BETTER than that little lite. And, NO you cannot have it. Case closed.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Last night, tossed my car keys into the open trunk of my car. (Not something I normally do.) Aquaintence walked up and started up a conversation with me. After he walked away, I couldn't see my keys anymore. Trunk light is usually sufficient. Pulled out my Photon Freedom. Just a bit of extra light was all I needed this time. Took literally a second for me to spot my keys.

wmirag

Enlightened
This was 3 weeks ago but well worth mentioning.

I was at a nice Italian restaurant in Pittston, PA during a big storm. Sure enough we lost power and the emergency wall light came on. Ten minutes later it died and the place was nearly black, lighted only by the bartender's laptop.

I put my Surefire T1A into an empty glass for a ceiling bounce. I set it to about 2/3 power and the fresh battery lasted well over an hour. My light saved dinner for the dozen tables and the management. But I still had to ASK for free dessert, which they obliged.

My table-mates were suitably impressed but the rest of the patrons took the light for granted. You'd have thought I'd have an after-dinner drink coming my way! The management WAS appreciative.

Of course I wish I had brought a bigger light. But it just goes to prove the .22 in your pocket is better than the .45 in your safe.

Last edited:

Draz

Newly Enlightened
This was 3 weeks ago but well worth mentioning.

I was at a nice Italian restaurant in Pittston, PA during a big storm. Sure enough we lost power and the emergency wall light came on. Ten minutes later it died and the place was nearly black, lighted only by the bartender's laptop.

I put my Surefire T1A into an empty glass for a ceiling bounce. I set it to about 2/3 power and the fresh battery lasted well over an hour. My light saved dinner for the dozen tables and the management. But I still had to ASK for free dessert, which they obliged.

My table-mates were suitably impressed but the rest of the patrons took the light for granted. You'd have thought I'd have an after-dinner drink coming my way! The management WAS appreciative.

Of course I wish I had brought a bigger light. But it just goes to prove the .22 in your pocket is better than the .45 in your safe.

that is an awesome story:thumbsup:

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I went geocaching in the dark in a nearby forest. I brought my Maelstrom G5 and my Olight M20S and ended up using the Olight M20S with a red filter for finding my way around. Awesome way to preserve night vision, but the red filter for the Olight M20S is definitely not for military use. It throws a ring of white light almost perpendicular to the axis of the light. I used the Olight without the filter to look for the cache, and I didn't find it. I probably have to get a better GPS than my iPhone. Sigh.

If any of you are looking for an excellent excuse to buy and play with lights, just take up geocaching.

Last edited:

radioactive_man

Enlightened
An hour ago I heard a crash outside. Two cars had collided in the intersection just outside our house. I grabbed my Maelstrom G5 an went outside to help. We called 911 (112 actually), and the police was first on the scene and they didn't have a first aid kit in the car (wtf?). One of the drivers had a head/neck injury and was going into shock, so I brought one of the police men a foil blanket from the first aid kit in my car. Afterwards I used my light to inspect one of the cars for leaking liquids, and I realised that I wish I had a floody light like the Led Lensers the cops and rescue workers were using. I spent the next 20 minutes standing around being a useless bystander while the car was cut apart around the driver (both front doors were jammed). Everyone has left now, but the wreck is still there. Second crash in 4 months. People really need to learn how to drive.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Far from useless. You likely saved a life tonight. Police cars without First-Aid kits?? That's ridiculous. I currently have two kits in the trunk of my car.

dajab77

Newly Enlightened
I went geocaching in the dark in a nearby forest. I brought my Maelstrom G5 and my Olight M20S and ended up using the Olight M20S with a red filter for finding my way around. Awesome way to preserve night vision, but the red filter for the Olight M20S is definitely not for military use. It throws a ring of white light almost perpendicular to the axis of the light. I used the Olight without the filter to look for the cache, and I didn't find it. I probably have to get a better GPS than my iPhone. Sigh.

If any of you are looking for an excellent excuse to buy and play with lights, just take up geocaching.

I totally agree. I just got in from looking and finding a cache (nano) in Waco. Used my hds edc executive 140. The torch came in handy.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
Far from useless. You likely saved a life tonight. Police cars without First-Aid kits?? That's ridiculous. I currently have two kits in the trunk of my car.

I have one, but I think I need more than one foil blanket. Danish street police in general is about as useful as a spare butthole on your elbow.

EDIT: To be fair, I must admit that I don't know if they had first aid kits, but I know they didn't have foil blankets.

Last edited:

derangboy

Enlightened
Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk along a river near my work to scope out some rocks. When I got home, I realized I had lost my Sebenza :eek:
There was no way I could get back out there, look after my one year old daughter and get the necessary chores done around the house. On top of that, I had to be at work for 6am the next day :shakehead
This was NOT looking good.
My best chance to get out there was to get up at 3am and search in the dark before work. I retraced my steps using a McGizmo Sundrop on an E1L body hoping I'd be able to pick it out amongst all the dead leaves and sticks. Off in the darkness I could hear something thumping a warning in addition to wild horses (fortunately not trying to drag me away) picking their way along the river. I keep scanning around, looking for the reflection of eyes in the trees! About ten minutes into my search I come across a fallen tree I had squeezed under. BINGO! It jumps out at me instantly and all is good.:party:

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I'm a teacher at a danish high school, and we had a party for the third year students (last year of high school) yesterday. Today they are informed which subjects their final exams will cover, so the party is an "last meal" kinda thing ;) We started asking people to leave at around 01.00 AM when the party was supposed to end, and almost everyone complied and thanked us for a great evening. I found a few drunk students (yes, it's common to serve alcohol to 16- to 19-year-olds at school parties in Denmark, get over it, puritans) in the courtyard, and politely asked them to leave. One of the girls started giving me an attitude and didn't want to leave. After a few minutes of fruitless discussion I pulled out my Jetbeam RRT-0 and applied some combined verbal and LED-to-optic-nerve photonic persuasion. She left, I swept the courtyard with my RRT-0 to check for other remaining students, and afterwards I used the light to check all doors and windows in the building to make sure they were closed. Nice little light, good combination of flood, throw and attitude adjustment capability.

Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
Back in February 2011, I walked out of my job about 6:30 PM, the last soul. The weather had been uncharacteristically warm that day but I did not realize the evening brought a deep freeze. Next thing I know I was waking up in the gutter staring at my foot about 150 degrees out of alignment. Apparently I'd fallen on ice, was made unconscious, had a broken leg, and had a profoundly dislocated ankle. It was quite dark and there wasn't a soul in sight.

I dialed 911 on my cell but had a terrible connection. Apparently I got the address across, but not the fact that I was in the back of the building. In ten long minutes, an ambulance showed up BUT PASSED ME RIGHT BY, seeming to search the front of the building, a hundred yards away. You can imagine the feeling of helplessness.

Thinking beyond my despair, I whipped out my SureFire T1A, dialed in "high", and waved it wildly at the ambulance, who saw it and came screamimg back for me. Upon arriving, the driver said "You'd have been here another 20 minutes without that light; I never thought to look here".

FYI, I'm recovering slowly. The break is plated and screwed and pretty much quiet. The damned dislocation is taking forever to heal.

I can't imagine what the wait would have been like without my EDC.

W.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I went geocaching in the abandoned lignite fields near my home town. Got so caught up, that I failed to make it back to my vehicle before nightfall. My Maelstrom G5 lit the way. Throw is nice, when you're trying to find your way around a large open area.

emac

Newly Enlightened
Used my surefire C3 with Malkoff M61 to find dispatch and properly dispose of a house centipede that crawled across my face around 0300 this morning.

DM51

Flashaholic
That's quite a story, wmirag - a very nasty experience for you. It's probably no exaggeration to say the light saved your life. In cold temperatures and badly injured, you would have gone into shock pretty quickly and could easily have died there. I hope you make a full recovery.

wmirag

Enlightened
That's quite a story, wmirag - a very nasty experience for you. It's probably no exaggeration to say the light saved your life. In cold temperatures and badly injured, you would have gone into shock pretty quickly and could easily have died there. I hope you make a full recovery.

Thanks for the well wishes. The doc says a minimum of 6 months is required to heal the tissue damage. I was lucky to have had good care. And I was lucky to have been near emergency services. I can't count the number of winter hikes I've taken alone in the woods -- it gives me chills to imagine this happening even a few miles into a park.

Acid87

Enlightened
I used my phone torch app on my HTC desire to find my Zebralight H31 that decided to take a wander under my car seat. Don't see it taking over as my main light but good backup.

Last edited: