What did you use your flashlight for today?

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
A little bit of background, I run cargo for airlines, the freight that goes onto airplane usually are put on aluminum pallets which get loaded on pallet dollies which we take to the airplane.

I was ready to take a shipment to go on a flight to Istanbul when I noticed that I couldn't release the brakes on the dolly and took out my Fenix LD10 to inspect the bottom of the dolly. I found out a rod that ran from the brake release mechanism to the brakes had bent and was preventing the brakes from releasing. We ended up taking that cargo pallet off and putting it on another dolly.

Matt7337

Enlightened
Stopped to help a couple of guys change a wheel on their van on my way home last night. Before I stopped, they were using the light of their phones :sigh: I was well equipped - Malkoff 3D Mag clipped in the trunk (emergencies), Bitz Pocket Titanium clipped to my pocket (EDC) and a Fenix TK11 with a white wand attachment in the toolbox (work light). I went with the Malkoff mag and gave one of them the Bitz. They were well impressed :thumbsup:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 3300L got a workout last night when after some misadventures while geocaching I found myself faced with a 5Km walk to get back to my car... At sunset!

Needless to say, without it I'd have had to call the missus to come and collect me, and she wouldn't have been happy.

I guess it really did save my life last night!

chriztt

Newly Enlightened
^ LOL! Used my preon 2 to check and change the dive belt on my car the other night. Also used it to bleed the clutch. Every time I use it I love it more, and every time I need it and don't have it I miss it

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I used my Fenix LD25 today for a few things. Mainly I used it to peak into burrows along the creek I was hiking in. But at one point I was using it to keep an eye on the gator under water that was keeping an eye on me... I was hiking through an old lake bed that had turned into a dry savanna with standing pools of water here and there. I was walking past one of these pools when heard something go into the water on the other side. It was a four foot gator that had noticed me walking past. It swam up to me while I was on the bank and watched me from under the water. I couldn't see it through the water, so I used the light to help get past the glare. It was only a couple feet away at that point and it looked like it wasn't going away. I didn't really have anything to fend it off with or anything to really help myself with if I got injured. So I decided to find someplace else to relax.
Also, I used to it to check the bevel of my pocket knife while I was sharpening. Still not flat :banghead:

york2

Newly Enlightened
Just used my Zebralight SC51 in the basement while I was cleaning out some boxes. The light in the basement doesn't quite reach into the corners well enough to let me see what's in the boxes. It did help me find my old E2E.

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
Last night I used my Jetbeam PA40 to thoroughly impress my girlfriend's family. Her father had a Maglight 3C (I think) LED. We tested them out in their very dark orchard. The Maglight, when focused, could throw farther, but there was no comparison between overall light output and useful spill. When the Maglight was unfocused for a flood beam, it had horrible doughnut holes. Actually, more like a black hole where the hotspot should be. Mine won, but in hindsight, maybe I should have left it on high or medium...

hanna122

Newly Enlightened
Last night, the electricity went off suddenly, so we turn on theflashlight to chat with each other.I feel wonderful, because we have not really talk for a long time. If only the electrricity wouldn't go off, we should do our own thing respectively. Watching TV or Play computer games.

varmint

Enlightened
Sat night went hog hunting in the bottomland south of town. I had 2 lights, my Derrelights V2 & V3 asperical both with 2x18500's. They worked perfect and never dimmed. The river bottoms at night with a handgun and light is interesting.

nykon1969

Newly Enlightened
Used my light to find 3 screws from a laptop I was working on that rolled under my desk onto the multicolor carpet. To the naked eye its impossible to find screws that drop on this floor unless you lay a light down and scan for something that shines.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Sat night went hog hunting in the bottomland south of town. I had 2 lights, my Derrelights V2 & V3 asperical both with 2x18500's. They worked perfect and never dimmed. The river bottoms at night with a handgun and light is interesting.

It would be better with dynamite but one must make do with what is available. :devil:

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my Quark AA tactical with 14500 to charge the GID switch cover on my Eagle-Tac T20C2 :shakehead

That was it for today

Bigpal

Enlightened
Fenix TK45
Used standing on its tail inside a pavillion. It reflected so much light off the white ceiling, I had visibility a good 20-30 feet around the pavillion, where I was throwing sticks for my dog.

Richub

Enlightened
I've been using my Fenix TK41/TK45 as a shower/batroom light for the last weeks.

Somehow every CFL I buy seems to fry itself within a week in my bathroom (Humidity problems is my best guess, although many others use them for years in their bathrooms), and normal bulbs are no longer available here in Europe.
So my trusty Fenix lights provide the light I need while showering or bathroom breaks. :)

My tiny E05 has it's own daily uses:
- Light up a dark shack or cellar for myself, friends or neighbors.
- Helping a neighbor/stranger find a dropped key, or dropped coins in the dark.
- Light up the inside of a PC for upgrades/maintenance.
- Emergency bathroom light if a bulb blew in there. ;)
- Light up a menu card in a dimly lit restaurant so I can read what they offer.

And my TK41/TK35 are used to impress people with how bright LED flashlights have gotten these last few years. The TK15 is showed quite often as a possible upgrade for old Maglite incan flashlights.
So far I got quite a lot people to get a new flashlight, or upgrade their old dim incan flashlights. :)
(Any similarities to a religion here are totally accidental.)

A friend of mine complained about his boss:
That boss has put 5 minute timers on the lights in the toilets in his office building. The light goes on as you open the door and shuts off after 5 minutes. He also removed the switches inside the toilets. If you're not done within five minutes, you'll be left in the dark there.
I simply suggested him to get a decent keychain light, so he can finish his bathroom business without rushing things. ;) It turned out that he and his colleagues ordered a box of Fenix E01's so everybody there has an emergency toilet light now. :devil:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wow! His boss is a jerk. Also, not 100% sure, but what he's doing might be illegal.

tam17

Enlightened
(...)
Somehow every CFL I buy seems to fry itself within a week in my bathroom (...)

CFL's hate being frequently switched on and off (as well as regular fluorescents) even manufacturers admit that. For that reason I quit using them in the bathroom, using my stock of incans while it lasts (Europe, too) will switch to IP-rated halogen in the future... Sorry for OT.

Ahh, yes... Used my Solarforce L2 XR-E to light up a small hedgehog in front of my appartment building last evening.

Cheers,

Tam

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
It got unexpectedly cold last night, so I used my V10R on minimum to sneak into my son's room and turn on his heater without waking him up.