What Do You Want The Next Quark To Be?

What Should The New Quarks Be?

• Total voters

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you all do realise 47`s already got a couple photo`s up showing the new 18650 MC-E light. Not that an XP-G might be in the pipe.

Unfortunately this is not the light we're looking for. The light shown in that thread over in the 4sevens marketplace forum does not appear to be a slim EDC fully regulated 18650 light.
Instead it's got a larger head diameter and...
Yes. These will take 18650's as well as cr123a and rcr123a.
Therefore it is not going to be fully regulated on 18650. :thumbsdow

drillbit

Newly Enlightened
Something with a slim 18650 body & head(EDC-able for those who like this size), preferably with an MC-E, or even an XP-G(whenever they're available).

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another run of neutral white emitters, as soon as more powerfull LEDs are available!

Why not make a dedicated thrower (2 x CR123A) as well as a dedicated flooder (1 x CR123A)? This would probably be more difficult as they would have to make at least one new body for the thrower... :hitit:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for that, but, let's change the order from Medium-Low-High to Low-Medium-High! Stainless or Ti wouldn't be too bad, either. :thumbsup:

Medium, Low, High is very annoying... I'd have to agree. Truthfully I HATE medium... its a waste of a mode. I only use Low, High, and Strobe truthfully, and I do like the moonlight mode, but not medium or SOS. The only use I can see for Medium is so you can run the flashlight on a decent lumen level without it going:poof: from all the heat built up from High mode in a situation where the flashlight cannot cool off, like prolonged hand carry, or tailstanding indoors...

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another run of neutral white emitters, as soon as more powerfull LEDs are available!

Why not make a dedicated thrower (2 x CR123A) as well as a dedicated flooder (1 x CR123A)? This would probably be more difficult as they would have to make at least one new body for the thrower... :hitit:

How about a hybrid? In which the head has two functions. Twisting the front half the head, adjusts between flood and throw, and the lower part of the head switches between modes? :sssh:

This should all be able to be customized with this specific type of head mentioned above, and at the same time, letting us use the body tubes that we have already purchased to determine what type of power we want to achieve... (For example, say I own a AA tube, and a 2xCR123 tube... I will use the AA tube I already own and twist the top part of the head to achieve a respectable flood beam. While if I want to achieve throw, I will twist the head properly to achieve a tighter beam and slap on the 2XCR123 body tube for the power source...)

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately this is not the light we're looking for. The light shown in that thread over in the 4sevens marketplace forum does not appear to be a slim EDC fully regulated 18650 light.
Instead it's got a larger head diameter and...

Therefore it is not going to be fully regulated on 18650. :thumbsdow

Yes...I have to agree with the large head point...already a bunch of big head MC-E lights...and I don`t like them either.

I was hoping for a MC-E light that looked like the Quarks 2x123 slightly overweight brother.

And I agree...the light should have been designed to run specificaly on 18650 to maximize performance of this popular batt source.

Guess not every body sees it the same way you and I do.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes...I have to agree with the large head point...already a bunch of big head MC-E lights...and I don`t like them either.

I was hoping for a MC-E light that looked like the Quarks 2x123 slightly overweight brother.

And I agree...the light should have been designed to run specificaly on 18650 to maximize performance of this popular batt source.

Guess not every body sees it the same way you and I do.

:mecry:
Myself I'm not too hung up on a MC-E light. An XP-E, XP-G or an XR-E with nice optics will all work, preferably with the option for neutral tint. I'd also consider some of the other emitters on the market.

The closest thing I've seen to "our" light so far has been a Jetbeam ST. However the reflector used and the poor efficiency was enough to turn me away. THe newest IBS circuit looks more promising however there's no guarantee Jetbeam will ever make a v3 ST, and even then it'll likely have a ringy XR-E.
:sigh: (I hate being a picky perfectionist sometimes)

One of the largest obstacles to the creation of our light, imo, is that there exists a very large CR123 lobby who beleive that it is absolutely essential that an 18650 light can use CR123s. Most claim it's for emergencies when they "can't" charge 18650s. (as if it isn't possible to charge them with a generator, solar, wind, hand crank, etc) They want to be able to pop in CR123's and go. Many manufacturers seem to be caught in this paradigm and well.
The irony though is the fact that a fully regulated (ie buck boost circuit) 18650 light with an upper limit of 4.2 V can very easily run on CR123's. And it takes doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to do this.
:tinfoil:

A further obstacle is the thinking that bigger bezels are better. So most fully regulated 18650 lights end up with fat bezels (and bezel up pocketclips in the middle of the body) which make edc of such lights all but impossible.

All I can do is sit around and dream and wait for a manufacturer to do it right.

frank13

Newly Enlightened
I chose 18650 and 10440.
18650 is of high capacity and nice size and can be cycle-used over and over again.And the 18650 flashlight has a nice shape. I think it would become popular in near 5 years.
If the technology can make a great break that the high capacity can be stocked in a very small container such as AAA size, I think 10440 would be the next quark.

No 14500?? No RCR123A?? I guess your purpose to raise this topic is to discuss what the next quark to replace AA and CR123A battery. :poke:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chose 18650 and 10440.
18650 is of high capacity and nice size and can be cycle-used over and over again.And the 18650 flashlight has a nice shape. I think it would become popular in near 5 years.
If the technology can make a great break that the high capacity can be stocked in a very small container such as AAA size, I think 10440 would be the next quark.

No 14500?? No RCR123A?? I guess your purpose to raise this topic is to discuss what the next quark to replace AA and CR123A battery. :poke:

I actually run my QAA on 14500 and the results are phenomenal! Great runtime, and as bright as the Q123! Not to mention... this light can throw! :naughty:

EricTarini

Newly Enlightened
More no-clip options. Just a small hole that will accept a small split ring would do it for me.

Bushman5

Enlightened
Quark running a MCE led, with NO reflector for massive flood only lighting, and a 18650 batt :grin2:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't want my forehead to be a heatsink...

Well hey, at least I`d be using my head. My dad used to say "Son...don`t you ever use your head?"...finally I could honestly say..."yes sir...I sure do!" :tinfoil: