What flashlight do you keep in your vehicle?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've kept LiIon cells in both my trunk, and my glove box for years.
My Garman was LiIon powered and was left on top of my dashboard in the direct sun for years. I've seen it on many a dashboard. I haven't read or heard of many fires caused by them.

Is it good for the cells? No. Is it dangerous? I suspect no. google it.

Bucur

Enlightened
I keep a Fenix E35 V3.0 flashlight and a Fenix HL 18R-T headlamp in my car. Until recently, my preference was NiMH powered lights because car interiors could get too hot for rechargeable Lithium batteries in summer.

My mild-hybrid petrol car changed my mind, though. Its .9 KWh rechargeable Lithium battery sits underneath the trunk and unlike full EVs; it has neither a cooling system nor any heat protection. The trunk is not subject to glasshouse effect but I don't think that deep inside the center console, the temperature would get so high as to be a concern. Besides, I keep my car in my garage. When I temporarily park it outside, I always use my windscreen sunshield, even in sunny winter days. I also have additional tinted film on side and rear windows. I mean; since I already have a bare 900 Wh rechargeable Lithium battery in the trunk, I no longer refrain from keeping an 18 Wh one and a 4.81 Wh one deep inside the center console.

I also keep 3 x AAA Eneloops as backup for the headlamp but no backup for the 21700 battery in the E35. It has more than enough juice for a roadside emergency. Besides, as long as the engine runs, I can recharge both lights via the car's USB outlets. I hope my logic with temperature is not baseless because I now carry along significantly more illumination capacity than before. Equivalent power with NiMH batteries would be too bulky for the center console.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I keep a yellow Streamlight 88853 PolyTac in the door pocket. Older model, just on or off with the tail button. Bright yellow in case I lose it in the snow or darkness. And I replaced the 2x CR123 cells with a Keeppower 16650.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
JAXMAN E2L

IMG_9656.jpg

Whistler24

Newly Enlightened
Currently the streamlight 1L-1aa. Simple to use, won't get too mad if it gets stolen etc. Runs on a few different battery options. Will probably look for something with a bit more output in the future, maybe like a sofirn or convoy 21700.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Currently the streamlight 1L-1aa. Simple to use, won't get too mad if it gets stolen etc. Runs on a few different battery options. Will probably look for something with a bit more output in the future, maybe like a sofirn or convoy 21700.
I own quite a few models from both brands. Sofirn is definitely a bit higher quality of the two.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
SureFire 9Z and G3Z; both set up for 2xAA with matched-pair Malkoff M31's (5000K).
A thirsty module, running a little over an hour with 2xAA NiMH LSD cells.
So I've made sure to have plenty of spare cells, lol.

The extra Surefire P60 dropin has been modified with a warm-white 5mm LED;
Direct-drive, starting at ~10 lumens from 2xAA NIMH and running maybe 50 hours or so.
(does considerably better with AA alkalines - unlike the high-drain Malkoffs)

20240129_143956.jpg

There is one vacant spot that could take another Malkoff module or four more cells; a Malkoff M61N LLLL also runs fine on 2xAA & would be my first choice, but I only have one of those & that goes in another light. :-/

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Right now I've got an old Maratac AAA hanging from the steering wheel adjustment lever. This could change at any time.

Geoff

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight Stinger is about the size of a 2C flashlight, (or 3C Kel-Lite) but in the incan days that 3rd battery probably added runtime before dimming was an issue vs the 2C. My pop preferred a 3D flashlight for that reason, the dimming took longer to be an issue when working on his truck or fixing a tv.
The Stinger replaced my Mag. I remember thinking that it was super bright! I ended up giving it to my son for his truck (he still as it - had the replace the bulb and battery a couple of times).

wshylw

Newly Enlightened
I keep a SureFire E2D Defender in my car, and I thought it might be a competent weapon when needed.

TPA

Enlightened
There's no shortage of LED road flares on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=led+road+flares&tag=cpf0b6-20

I have some in my car and also in my flight bag. BEWARE: The ones I have drain batteries quickly when off. I've resorted to putting a piece of ribbon between the batteries and contacts because of it. I can always yank the ribbon out if I need to use one.

tex.proud

Enlightened
Yes, I'm bored...

In the glovebox:
Zebralight SC700D 21700
Spare 21700 in battery locker from countycomm.
Zebralight headlamp. Old enough it has no writing. Warm Tint. 18650
Spare 18650 in battery locker from countycomm.
XTAR charger. 21700 fits.
Center Console:
Quark Mark III 16650 running 16650. (charger in glovebox)
ArmyTek Prime C1 Magnetic Tail Cap running 18350. (charger in glovebox)
Box of CR123 Lithium Primaries as backup for both lights.
On Person:
In the Tale of Knives sheath on left side.
HDS Rotary CR123 running Lithium Primaries.
Carbon Fiber bolt action pen from Hogue Knives.
Victorinox Spirit XBS.
On right side.
Case Trapper Burnt Amber Crandall Jigged Bone - S35VN
Zippo lighter - Side shooter butane insert. (I smoke a pipe)...(tobacco pipe)
Spyderco Stretch 2 K390. This rotates through a number of knives.
Keychain:
Battery locker from countycomm with spare CR123 for HDS on my left side.
Civivi Key Bit Torx Screwdriver Set #6 and #8 Torx for knife repair.
Rovyvon Aurora A8 G4 Multi-mode light.

20240417_144703.jpg