What will happen to hi tech LED flashlights in an EMP?

electrolyte

Newly Enlightened
If you know there's an emp coming, put your lights and other electronics you want saved in the microwave (don't cook your lights). It's basically a faraday cage. That will at least give your devices a chance to survive an emp. Remember, cell phones will probably be useless after an emp so don't bother saving them (unless the flashlight app is your only light). Two way radios will have some use. Small solar panels, rechargeable batteries, and chargers will be lifesavers if you can save them all. Always have a backup plan in case an emp fries everything. Candles, gas lanterns, and light sticks for light. You need lots of matches, lighters, and good firesteels for starting fires, lighting lanterns and candles, and lighting a gas stove (which you should also have in your emergency kit). Then there's water. After an emp, water is no longer treated and it doesn't take long before the sewage gets mixed in with the fresh water and you risk cholera drinking it. Have a good portable water purification system and lots of bottled water to spare. You'll need to get somewhere with a decent fresh water supply to survive. If you have to travel to survive, keep in mind the 5 first things you need:
Heat- Have the ability to make fire
Shelter- If you're cold and wet, you'll die quickly otherwise
Water- Needed in first 3 days to survive
Food- This may require hunting, gathering, fishing, or bartering with other people. Make sure you take a supply of food with you before resorting to skills you may not have in order to survive.
Security- When you're out in the wild, every minute something wants to bite, sting, or eat you. And that's just the snakes, scorpions, mosquitoes, bees, and bears. Other people may be a threat too after an emp. Security involves risk assessment and prevention to keep you from getting killed. Take shifts sleeping. Those awake in camp should form an alert circle. Animals do this to survive. Everyone faces a different direction so nothing can surprise and attack the camp. If weapons or perimeter alarms are required for security, use your best judgment for the good of the group. If barriers or walls need to be erected, do what you have to do.

With the current state of affairs, I am concerned that the next "spy" balloon flown over the U.S. could easily be carrying an emp. Our adversaries now know that we would let it fly all the way across the continent before shooting it down. We do need to be prepared for the possibility of an emp attack in the very near future.

electrolyte

Newly Enlightened
I am concerned that the next "spy" balloon flown over the U.S
I asked a friend about this. He is a Navy-trained electronics tech who goes way beyond that in self-learning and subsequent work experience, ship radars and other electronic systems and commercial broadcast industry. I always say that he knows how to make or detect any kind of useful and maybe some useless electromagnetic radiation. When asked about the recent big balloon being a potential destructive EMF generator, he laughed and said that it is much too small for that.

electrolyte

Newly Enlightened
Returning to the topic of Faraday cages, many hardware stores sell a small, tight-fitting galvanized steel can,...

Prepare wisely, grasshopper...

View attachment 39109
Ooh, good idea. Makes me think of 55 gal drums too. For transportation, Maybe a scooter can fit in one of those. I don't know if any of those tiny novelty motorcycles would fit. Some of those are pretty fast, I think.

DRW

Enlightened
The guys with lights will be the hunted by those without.

Security, shelter, sustenance, and then whatever you need for your particular situation.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what emp pulse will be originated from, if from a thermonuclear device, than flashlights will either melt, or stay in a ground for hundreds or thousands of years until next civilization finds them and wonders what the heck those things are, lol

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
EMP has a nasty feature -- it enters ANYTHING what is not grounded efficiently. The metal body works like a secondary emitter because of induced currents in it. So EVERYTHING what is not grounded will die (depends on the distance from the epicenter, of course).

But the main issue will be not the failed flashlight, trust me. Right now marxists do everything to force the real money out of circulation (they want to control you this way; they are "cancelling" people from their bank accounts right now). In case of EMP attack all the banking system, all the payments, every opportunity to purchase anything will be annihilated. Natural exchange. Stone age.

You will need not a flashlight, but a trusty gun and sufficient ammo to kill enemies. Enemies will be everyone around you.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make no mistake, anyone who has a working collection of lights after an EMP event will have a target on their back at first dark. In a grid-down / lights-out situation NV is the real answer to rule the night. Also worth noting, Li-ion batteries with protection circuits are arguably more vulnerable than flashlights since they have no aluminum housings, extra steps should be taken to shield these from EMF. Solar panels, power banks, chargers, and both rechargeable/disposable cells are a must. Using standalone IR flashlights instead of built-in IR illuminators on NV units will extend your nighttime superiority. I've probably thought about this a bit too much.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Make no mistake, anyone who has a working collection of lights after an EMP event will have a target on their back at first dark. In a grid-down / lights-out situation NV is the real answer to rule the night. Also worth noting, Li-ion batteries with protection circuits are arguably more vulnerable than flashlights since they have no aluminum housings, extra steps should be taken to shield these from EMF. Solar panels, power banks, chargers, and both rechargeable/disposable cells are a must. Using standalone IR flashlights instead of built-in IR illuminators on NV units will extend your nighttime superiority. I've probably thought about this a bit too much.
Good point on the Li-On protection circuits. Those are another set of exposed semiconductors that can blow out in an EMP. Also agree that if you're the only one with a working (visible light) flashlight, others will try to get it from you in a SHTF situation. In this case it might be useful to have some cheap 'decoy' lights handy.

Last edited:

Galane

Newly Enlightened
On the Olight Facebook page a few days ago, someone posted a video showing the new Arkfeld (dual emitters, white and UV) in a strong magnetic field. It was randomly turning on and off and switching between white and UV without the switch being turned or the button pressed.

I'd bet that one would *poof* and fry in a strong EMP.