Why a Flashaholic??

Flashy808

Enlightened
A reason for me: Because I get to spend everyday with you guys talking about what I and we all love!

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
Being a Flashaholic is much cheaper than my other hobbies which are firearms and motorcycles.Also they don't take up much space.:)

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Coz the other hobbies that I've indulged with, i.e. Photography, hi-fi, head-fi, mechanical watches, cars are too expensive to maintain.
Playing with flashlight and batteries keep me content
Headphones!! I knew I forgot one...

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashaholism sorta borderlines between requiring a new flashlight and wanting to get a new light just to have it. That and i use flashlights instead of the lights in my apartment. I'm also a gamer, collect a lot of movies and music and i also like cars and computers.

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Because it's the only thing that I collect which gets used rather than being shelfqueens and gets everyone amused and gives a feeling of staying par with led and battery technology and also a rather useful gadget.(eventhough one(like fenix pd35) is probably enough for a lifetime, I never feels satisfied).
Started with modding an incandascent 4d mag and Now edcing ncmh20 and nc tube.Waiting for zebralight mkiii.Yes I can t stop being flashaholic or should I ?or even can I?

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
Fear of the dark is one of man's most primal fears. Many people will claim that they're not afraid of the dark. I'm not afraid of being in my dark house. But take anyone and put them in the dark, in an unfamiliar setting, and I guarantee that they'll at least be uncomfortable. I carry the power in my pocket to completely neutralize that feeling. One of the ways that man has triumphed over nature.

Also, modern flashlights are beyond amazing. Especially since most people have no idea what they're capable of. It's always fun to impress someone. I've been EDCing my MH20, and it reminds me of the Noisy Cricket from Men in Black. People see it and laugh at it, until you turn it on and realize that it means business. I've also had someone try to tell me that there was no way that my Viking Pro was brighter than their LED Maglite. Until I turned it on. That never gets old.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Strangely enough I first rediscovered the joys of flashlights through gaming. The game in question is called Alan Wake and it remains on of the finest games I have ever played. I won't describe the whole plot but at the start of the game you're the eponymous Alan Wake who with your wife has gone on vacation to a cabin in a fictional town called Bright Falls in Washington State in order to try and beat your two years writers block. Something bad happens, you crash your car and you have to make you way through the woods at night with only a flashlight and other gear you pick up on the way while being hindered by a entity called 'The Dark Presence' that wants to use you for it's own nefarious ends.

The flashlight was a major part of that game not only for navigation but as a weapon in its own right as well and after probably about 10 hours virtual flashlighting during the game I was hooked. Started looking at Fenix lights, found this site and made a significant dent in my wallet. Since then I've been coasting along but I've rediscovered the bug.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Same reason I don't use a screwdriver to remove a 12mm bolt. Same reason my tool chest is 6' tall and same reason why I have several different 1/2" drive ratchets in my ratchet drawer.
Started out with Stanley or generic "chrome vadium", Husky or what have you. I still use Stanley pliers for their comfy handles. But the big names for stuff that has to last when using leverage on high torque stuck on bolts are used.
Same for flashlights, the $3 multi LED light will still get me to the toilet at 2am, but it would be useless for SCUBA diving or attached to my shotgun for night vision of items 300' away, outdoors.

Me, personally I don't automatically go after name brand stuff because it's good. Several of my hot rod friends and my mechanic (with 50 years experience) use Harbor Freight floor jacks. I use Craftsman. Not because it's a Craftsman, but because it is portable enough to fit in my trunk and lifts the car just as high.
So if I buy a Sure Fire, it's because that light does the job I need it to do. I have several brands and styles of flashlights. Cost is way down on the list of pros vs cons.
Matter of fact my hot rod that outran the vette when new was made by Honda. Half the engine size, but ran faster in the 1/4 mile and was the 4th fastest car at any price anywhere on the planet on the slalom course, but new was 2/3 the cost of the benchmark vette.
So my light collection has numerous versions of Coast lamps for the same reason. My 201 lumen HP7 shines 1000'. I needed a light that shines items brightly a football field away, fit easily in a pocket of my safety vest and bought that one for those features. But as a bonus it zooms in for a dandy flood light, holds up when dropped and still works after using it in the rain.
I considered the LED Lenser, but for less money got a better light with better features and extra batteries for less money. Does it have pure this and perfect that? Nope. But when I push the on button it lights. And it illuminates the things I need to see NOW, not when I'm done evaluating the tint or the border of the beam.

Aaaaaand it's kinda cool to activate the strobe to see if passers by suddenly fall over and start lurching about in some kinda strobe induced siezure.

One more thing. My mechanic has over $200k in his wall size tool chests, but he uses Gear Wrench ratcheting swivel box ends when his $35,000 Snap On anylizer reveals the problem is that hard to reach alternator or what-have you.

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
It's funny because when I was a kid at Christmas and we'd play Dirty Santa or if we drew names for $20 gifts, I always ended up with some cheap incandescent flashlight to the point it became a running joke. They probably were used around the house till the batteries died and either were lost or thrown away. I never was "into" lights though. It's still a joke today 20 something years later.

Now I'm just a naturally curious person who enjoys learning and testing things, plus my profession employs some principles used in modern day flashlights. I'm not a gadget person, but the technology in some of today's lights is remarkable. The brightness and efficiency of some of these lights today relative to their size is crazy. I learn something new here everyday and learn from my own testing. Light is one of man's basic needs, and I find in general it just makes life easier having a good source of light on me.

Knives and sharpening have been for a long time my major hobbies, but I've spent close to all the money I want to spend there. I know what I like and there's not much out there now that I don't own or have owned that interests me. Now I just like using them and helping out others who are still learning. Modern flashlights and battery technology are a new endeavor and something new to learn and obsess over. I'm finding out what I like and dislike and currently adding lights to the collection that fill different niches. There's also a great community here, and I find myself enjoying reading and contributing to this forum much more than the knife forums lately.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I possessed a small maglite solitaire, one day I decided to buy a Fenix PD32 (old version 315 lumens)
When I turned it on I was amazed by the light emitted.
It 'was the beginning of dependence ..
Why?
Because the torches are beautiful and are also useful.
People do not realize the importance of a true flashlight until they own it.
Now I could not live without

Last edited:

Flashy808

Enlightened
I purchased a Fenix PD32
When I turned it on I was amazed by the light emitted.
It 'was the beginning of dependence ..

Nice starting off with a brave first light.

Also good job guys on the posts keep it going!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hi CPF :wave:,

The day I decided that flashlights we're going to be my thing I wondered why should I be a flashaholic? Why not a motor enthusiast? or a Book Worm? What made flashlights out-shine the rest? What made you want to be a flashaholic? & What do you say when people ask "Isn't a flashlight just a flashlight?!":shrug::tired: (Instead of tearing up of course)... And most importantly what drives you to pay thousands of dollars for a 007 or a pocket monster?

Please Share you Magic of Inspiration for this Wonderful Passion. :grin2:
Thanks

Two things.... This hobby chooses you. Not the other way around. Also, if you could be the one doing the choosing, this is one of the cheapest hobbies in the world.

Latest posts