Why a Flashaholic??

Flashy808

Enlightened
Two things.... This hobby chooses you. Not the other way around. Also, if you could be the one doing the choosing, this is one of the cheapest hobbies in the world.

In a matter of fact I think your absolutely right. Not everybody can truly appreciate the art of flashlights no matter how much time you spend telling them. Also over the year I have checked out many other hobbies including the ones mentioned earlier in this thread (headphone, cars, survival gear, even pens) and they are fairly more expensive (depending on the hobby). Except for maybe pens but over time it will accumulate to a price of a flashlight. ;)

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
In a matter of fact I think your absolutely right. Not everybody can truly appreciate the art of flashlights no matter how much time you spend telling them. Also over the year I have checked out many other hobbies including the ones mentioned earlier in this thread (headphone, cars, survival gear, even pens) and they are fairly more expensive (depending on the hobby). Except for maybe pens but over time it will accumulate to a price of a flashlight. ;)

Pretty much. I was letting my friend play with my Viking Pro, when he asked how much it cost. He flipped out and absolutely couldn't believe that I'd paid $110 for a little flashlight. Even after playing with it and seeing for himself how good it was. I guess it's hard for some people to see this as a legitimate hobby.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Pretty much. I was letting my friend play with my Viking Pro, when he asked how much it cost. He flipped out and absolutely couldn't believe that I'd paid $110 for a little flashlight. Even after playing with it and seeing for himself how good it was. I guess it's hard for some people to see this as a legitimate hobby.

Yeah lol. People just stand and laugh (thinking this dude's nuts) until we strobe them until they start spazzing out or something like that... hehe

Stream

Enlightened
Why a flashaholic? Why so serious? Ok, ok, I know it's not 2008, and no one's doing Heath Ledger's Joker impressions anymore :p

For me it started with a 2xAA incan MiniMag, I then found this forum after googling what lights they had on CSI lol. Back then I think they were very often using Streamlight Scorpions, and I ended up buying one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Have you seen what a Mont Blanc goes for these days? (I used to work as a high-end pen salesman.) Even pen collecting is staggeringly more expensive. :)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, of all things that interest me.
Only one gets opportunity to be utilized every day,
more so then my knife even.
It (Knives)actually can go a week and not see usage, other hobbies go much longer.

Lights, I'll need one or some every day, possibly at any time of day.
lol, with a light, I'll undo a knot, without it and in low light I might cut if not great cording.
Light, hard to do stuff when you can't see very well without it, though with lighting, you can do.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Hmm, of all things that interest me.
Only one gets opportunity to be utilized every day,
more so then my knife even.
It (Knives)actually can go a week and not see usage, other hobbies go much longer.

Lights, I'll need one or some every day, possibly at any time of day.
lol, with a light, I'll undo a knot, without it and in low light I might cut if not great cording.
Light, hard to do stuff when you can't see very well without it, though with lighting, you can do.

Have you seen what a Mont Blanc goes for these days? (I used to work as a high-end pen salesman.) Even pen collecting is staggeringly more expensive. :)

Hmm I guess I never considered that if you didn't have light you probably couldn't do many of the other hobbies very well, nice one.

Hah yeah I was thinking of more of an average everyday pen.
But of course both hobbies have their expensive items like Super Expensive Gold-Plated Pen (or something like that I honestly haven't looked around much a part from the stationary store :huh:)=Spy 007, Fairly Pricey (but of course worth it to someone who respects the hobby) Pen=Vinh Light, Good Quality Branded Pen= The Usual Fenix, Nitecore, Zebralight, etc. etc. & of course all hobbies have super cheap knockoffs (but still do the job)=Sipik/Ultrafire. Oh and even pen refills=batteries.:anyone:...

Anyway as always love the contributions.

Last edited:

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
I think I have always liked flashlights since I was a little child. I was a bit affraid of darkness, I thought there might be evil hiding in the darkness sometimes (well I still think that) :) I liked my bike lights as a child cause not every of my friends had it on their bikes. Than I started buying flashlights and since every year there is always better and brighter lights I keep following the market :) I think flashlight is a instant "Good" in your pocket against evil (darkness). I think flashlight is a little miracle humans created...

Last edited:

Flashy808

Enlightened
I think I have always liked flashlights since I was a little child. I was a bit affraid of darkness, I thought there might be evil hiding in the darkness sometimes (well I still think that) :) I liked my bike lights as a child cause not every of my friends had it on their bikes. Than I started buying flashlights and since every year there is always better and brighter lights I keep following the market :) I think flashlight is a instant "Good" in your pocket against evil (darkness). I think flashlight is a little miracle humans created...

Ah yeah same, you never really know what lies in the darkness. That's we just scare (or blast) it away with our flashy lights! :)

Flashlights (or similar) have been around for ages. From campfires to lit up sticks. They were all different version of torches or light emitting sources. ;)

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Ah yeah same, you never really know what lies in the darkness. That's we just scare (or blast) it away with our flashy lights! :)

Flashlights (or similar) have been around for ages. From campfires to lit up sticks. They were all different version of torches or light emitting sources. ;)

+1 :) :twothumbs

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yeah same, you never really know what lies in the darkness.
ME! *I* am in the darkness! Muahahaaaaa! :)

Seriously though, I like the dark. I enjoy fully night-adapted vision and the super low output lights that seem to run forever.

If there were no dark, if we could see regardless, then this would be a pretty crappy hobby! :)

Flashy808

Enlightened
Good point more_vampires! As useful as a solar panel in a cave.

Why flashlights? They're shiny, that's why.

Yeah +1 more_vamps :).

This would probably be a good time for WarRaven to jump in and join in on the party! Shiny!! ;)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
So far about the only thing no one has mentioned yet is that it's a Freudian overcompensation thing. :)

Not that anyone would be likely to admit that. LOL

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point more_vampires! As useful as a solar panel in a cave. Why flashlights? They're shiny, that's why.
Yeah +1 more_vamps :) This would probably be a good time for WarRaven to jump in and join in on the party! Shiny!! ;)
:thumbsup:

So far about the only thing no one has mentioned yet is that it's a Freudian overcompensation thing. :)
Not that anyone would be likely to admit that. LOL
Soooooooo..... if my flashlight has a really low output and you need the right training and operating conditions to appreciate it....

Uhhhhh.... nevermind! :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
LOL

And my flashlight is brighter, longer thicker, lasts longer, uh...never mind. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts