Why are HDS (RA) lights so popular?

jalal20

Enlightened
Re: Why do you guys like HDS (RA) lights so much?

I just saw this thread and don't have the time to go through all five pages of replies so if I have said something that someone else mentioned then forgive me :)

So first let me tell you again what a fellow member already told u on page one, get ur hand on one of those first, just touch it without turning it on.
I will not talk about the tank issue because its been clear to everyone, but I do like to say that it feels like am carrying a small computer in my hand specially when u look at the size of the head and the electronics and the kind of work involved in it.
also another important thing is customer service. Henry is the kind of guy that i've never met someone like him. I emailed him like 2 weeks ago and told him that I feel like the momentary operation on my rotary is not functioning correctly so he tells me flat and immediately to send him my address and sends me a new battery compartment that arrived yesterday with no single extra charge. you don't expect that from everybody in this business.
I have 1 HDS light and 2 Macs lights and I love them all the same.

Really dude, get one and if u don't like it I will take it :) "I want a Hi CRI version if ur gonna do it :p "

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Why Is HDS Systems EDC So Popular?

ok I just read through the "Must Have..." thread and the HDS EDC is mentioned repeatedly..

Went to their site and to the UNTRAINED eye all I see is a relatively low lumen light with no 18650 option for better run time that seems priced high in compairison to lights that to the UNTRAINED eye do much more.

Please note I am not bashing this light as I have never even seen one in person...just wondering why it is so poular?

lightophile

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why Is HDS Systems EDC So Popular?

Im guessing its the rotary output selection, and the fact that it is fairly compact. I don't own, just speaking out of others reviews.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally do not have any desire for lithium ion. I will stick to my primaries. That conversation is for a different place, but that feature, or lack there-of, is no concern.

HDS lights are really really good at doing one thing, very very well: Working. Enough said.

They have a programmable UI and a very user friendly operation that allows you to change modes without them being in the way of each other.

As far as the low lumen rating.. I know lights are getting smaller while getting brighter, but brighter is not a necessity. A lot of guys end up settling with an "ole reliable" that doesn't have all the bells and whistles. I fit in that category. I would carry my E1B to oblivion if a girlfriend hadn't lost it. For an EDC in your pocket, 120 lumens is more than enough.

It's American made and every detail was carefully planned. You get what you pay for sometimes.

I plan on buying one of the Rotary ones soon but would not think twice about buying another Tactical model. I just don't like the operation of the EDC personally.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened

American Made is one thing I completely missed...I can see how that would be a biggie

nbp

Flashaholic
There's a thread called "why do you guys like hds so much?". Search for that one with the google bar. Should answer your question.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cause it's made in the Good Ol'U.S. of A., BUT I Still Don't Get It! .....

.... So I ordered a second one yesterday! .... :devil:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well in that case, it looks like it won't be long before you finally do get it!

I think Henry's hoping I still don't! ... LOL

But back to the topic, I'm new to HDS Systems, but after purchasing many lights during the past few months. I bit the bullet when I ordered my first T170 from HDS. The reasoning behind this purchase, is I consider this light (as the Rotary I ordered yesterday) as tools. Tools that I use through out the night! And I agree, I sure do hope these lights will be with me as well as serving it's purpose for many years.

In addition to the light it's self, and although I spoke to Henry only a couple of times and exchanged a similar number of email correspondence. I appreciated his straight forward, not rushed, posture when we spoke. From a customer's point of view, to actually correspond with the person behind the product before and after the purchase is not the normal circumstance and or situation when making an inquiry (Because more often then not, when inquiring about a product you'll speak to a CS representative. Which there is nothing wrong with that, it's just the norm). However, I appreciated the time taken, as well as giving me that edge of confidence that I will be taken cared of should the need arise! All of which lead to my second HDS Systems flashlight!

Btw, I thought most would see or take my post regarding the "Made in U.S. of A. But still don't get it! So I purchase a second" as a tounge-n-cheek, having a little fun post!

What does give me pleasure when making a purchase like my T170 is having a tool that performs, feels great in hand, shows great excecution in design as well as asthetics. All of which that gives me that confidence I'm looking for that makes me smile when I use it! This is what makes a great investment IMO, like a tech investing in the tools he uses to make his living!

Lastly, if someone still doesn't understand a product after so many took the time to post reasons why they thought this product was worth purchasing. I don't see any problem with that. No product IMO can please everyone! So in this case anyone who finds themselves in this situation should by all means, find the product that does do it for them. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think Henry's hoping I still don't! ... LOL

But back to the topic, I'm new to HDS Systems, but after purchasing many lights during the past few months. I bit the bullet when I ordered my first T170 from HDS. The reasoning behind this purchase, is I consider this light (as the Rotary I ordered yesterday) as tools. Tools that I use through out the night! And I agree, I sure do hope these lights will be with me as well as serving it's purpose for many years.

In addition to the light it's self, and although I spoke to Henry only a couple of times and exchanged a similar number of email correspondence. I appreciated his straight forward, not rushed, posture when we spoke. From a customer's point of view, to actually correspond with the person behind the product I purchased is not the normal circumstance and or situation when making an inquiry (Because more often then not, when inquiring about a product you'll speak to a CS representative. Which there is nothing wrong with that, it's just the norm). However, I appreciated the time taken, as well as giving me that edge of confidence that I will be taken cared of should the need arise! All of which lead to my second HDS Systems flashlight!

Btw, I thought most would see or take my post regarding the "Made in U.S. of A. But still don't get it! So I purchase a second" as a tounge-n-cheek, having a little fun post!

What does give me pleasure when making a purchase like my T170 is having a tool that performs well, feels great in hand, shows great excecution in design as well as asthetics and just straight out makes me smile when I use it! This is what makes a great investment IMO, like a tech investing in the tools he uses to make his living!

Lastly, if someone still doesn't understand a product after so many took the time to post reasons why they thought this product was worth purchasing. I don't see any problem with that. No product IMO can please everyone! So in this case find one that does do it for you, simple as that.
Nice post and spot on with a bunch of points. I can only think of Henry sounding like he wanted off the phone one time when I talked to him and it was obvious he was busy!

Hope you get your new light soon so that we can hear about the continuing saga and whether you like it or not!

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Eight posts have been deleted. Please stay on-topic.

BTW, here's a tip: If a mod asks a user to drop it, that doesn't mean further replies in addition to adding more info to prior posts! :mad:

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice post and spot on with a bunch of points. I can only think of Henry sounding like he wanted off the phone one time when I talked to him and it was obvious he was busy!

Hope you get your new light soon so that we can hear about the continuing saga and whether you like it or not!

Thanks kaichu dento! But it looks like my Rotary is approximatley 4 weeks away (oh the HORROR ... LOL)! Although a long shot, I did ask Henry if the Flush Button model is in-stock. If it is, I'll have that one sent instead, then purchase a Raised Button switch at a later date. However if both are on back order, I'll be a good boy and wait patiently!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks kaichu dento! But it looks like my Rotary is approximatley 4 weeks away (oh the HORROR ... LOL)! Although a long shot, I did ask Henry if the Flush Button model is in-stock. If it is, I'll have that one sent instead, then purchase a Raised Button switch at a later date. However if both are on back order, I'll be a good boy and wait patiently!
The switch is part of the rotary control mechanism and is not user replaceable.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Thanks kaichu dento! But it looks like my Rotary is approximately 4 weeks away (oh the HORROR ... LOL)! Although a long shot, I did ask Henry if the Flush Button model is in-stock. If it is, I'll have that one sent instead, then purchase a Raised Button switch at a later date. However if both are on back order, I'll be a good boy and wait patiently!
I just looked and saw you already have a Clicky and would suggest that you try to ignore the light for now if the flush button isn't yet available, and wait until it is - otherwise you'll probably find more unhappiness and time expended in getting it to be what you wished you'd bought in the first place. Your regular Clicky should get you by in the meantime!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again, thanks for the heads up guys! Since emailing Henry about the Flush Button, I think it's best if I call him this morning to disregard my intention in making this compromise.

Edit: Re. a Stateside Vendor, they are out of stock on all Rotary's!

Last edited:

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
They are the same light with the same warranty whether purchased from a dealer or directly from HDS. Only difference might be firmware version if the dealer has had the light from the beginning but I would imagine that all of the original rotary lights sold out months ago. I bought mine from a dealer recently, probably the same dealer you're lookin at, and I couldn't be happier. From all I've read the tint, beam profile, and led centering can be a bit of a lottery and you may be happier with a dealer light than one directly from HDS or vice versa. Whatever you decide you know HDS will stand behind the light. I never cared which switch or bezel was on my light. I'll trade you battery tubes/switches, bezels, or whatever if you feel better purchasing from Henry.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are the same light with the same warranty whether purchased from a dealer or directly from HDS. Only difference might be firmware version if the dealer has had the light from the beginning but I would imagine that all of the original rotary lights sold out months ago. I bought mine from a dealer recently, probably the same dealer you're lookin at, and I couldn't be happier. From all I've read the tint, beam profile, and led centering can be a bit of a lottery and you may be happier with a dealer light than one directly from HDS or vice versa. Whatever you decide you know HDS will stand behind the light. I never cared which switch or bezel was on my light. I'll trade you battery tubes/switches, bezels, or whatever if you feel better purchasing from Henry.

Thanks I appreciate the offer! ... :thumbsup:

I just got off the phone with the vendor and he is out of stock on all Rotary's. He told me that I'll more then likely receive my order, before he receives his re-stocking order!

So it looks like I'm gonna have to go back to being a "good boy" and wait for Sant'ie Claus like everyone else! ... LOL

Thanks again!

PS Can't blame a guy for trying! ... :devil: ... Now I'm going back to get some Z's! ... :tired:

Last edited:

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
As to why HDS lights are so popular...I think you have to see one in person and hold one in you hand. They just feel perfect in the hand. There is such a solid feel to the light.
To me it has nothing to do with where the light is made. Like most people here I have too many lights and most of them are not made in the USA. They are all quality lights and they are all reliable but, as good as they are, they don't have the same feel as an HDS light.
Some edc lights are brighter but there are usually trade offs for that. They are running in direct drive or they are very floody because of the led, or runtime is minimal, etc. HDS lights are designed to give the best performance across the board with respect to the technology that is available today.
HDS lights are also very versatile in that they can give you as many options, or as few options as you want in a light, although you do have to be willing to program the light at least once. The rotary models really set a new standard for versatility or they can just be a simple variable intensity flashlight if that's what you like.
There are times that I will carry a different light (smaller and lighter weight) due to clothing choices or other circumstances but, without any of those constraints, I will be carrying my HDS rotary.
HDS lights may never be the brightest lights but I don't believe that is what they're after. If Henry stopped making them today I don't think they'd ever be obsolete as long as there are batteries to power them.
They may not be for everyone but the above explains why they're popular with me. I'm a believer and obviously a lot of other people are too.