Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another "Why do you carry a flashlight?" Moment

:huh: Wow! There's an app for that too?!

~ Chance

Lol! That's what I get for typing on an iPad at work. My grammar and punctuation is messed up.

What I meant was we can smell the body and my partner is using the light on his iPhone to look for it.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened

My response to people Is "So i don't have to stop what I'm doing and go look for one" and frankly It's just Incredibly handy.
Seriously, the question you should ask them Is, Flashlight's are so small and bright now why don't you?

LedTed

Enlightened

Lol! That's what I get for typing on an iPad at work. My grammar and punctuation is messed up.

What I meant was we can smell the body and my partner is using the light on his iPhone to look for it.

Your grammar and punctuation are messed up. :poke::crackup:Just being silly and taking the edge off that dead body part.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was asked the same question recently & was posed with the "handphones have flashlight too" scenario. I challenge them to a "see who can switch on their light faster" game...

No prize for guessing who won. Hahahaha...

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was asked the same question recently & was posed with the "handphones have flashlight too" scenario. I challenge them to a "see who can switch on their light faster" game...

No prize for guessing who won. Hahahaha...
I have to say that can depend on where your light is vs where their phone is. I said that one time while my light was in my pocket and the other person was texting, all I have to say is the flashlight on an iPhone is pretty quick to turn on. All they had to do was slide up the menu and turn it on.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

My lights see use in dark places during daytime, looking under things, adding light to a poorly light area, engine/auto work, computer work, etc. All that in addition to nighttime use.

Infinitely more useful to carry one than have to go look for one, or rely on the phone flash LED's, as if the phone's battery doesn't drain fast enough as it is. My carry lights are also brighter and dimmer, floodier and throwier than my phone's so there is that. If I drop one of my lights it won't break, something that can not be said for the phone. The flashlights can also stand moisture/water exposure.
Nothing worse than being caught in public when the power is out either, amazing how dark most stores actually are. Power goes out regularly at home as well so it is good to have illumination till the generator comes on, or if it doesn't light to go investigate. I swear every time we have a good hard rain or wind we loose power.

Flashlights are generally safe to carry about anywhere so that is another bonus unlike other carry gear like knives.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neither my phone or my tablet have lights on the camera, so that pretty much rules out that option, although the glow from the screen of the tablet can get kind of bright if I turn it up.

dmattaponi

Enlightened

For many years I kept some kind of keychain light. The thing came in handy many times. So much so, that I eventually started carrying more powerful pocket lights. They get used regularly, day and night. Don't know what I'd do without them. I remember one instance in particular when I was out of town at a conference. A storm hit and blew a transformer knocking the power out to the hotel. The hotel generators then malfunctioned, and there we were sitting in an interior conference room in pitch black (this was in the days before cell phones were a regular thing). Everyone was more or less stuck in their seat until I clicked on the little light on my keychain and people were able to exit the room. On a more regular basis I find myself using my lights for many of the mundane reasons mentioned in this thread, like looking under furniture, etc. Even now I'll take a good old flashlight over a cellphone any day.

Last edited:

IamMatt

Newly Enlightened

It's as daft a question as 'Why do you always carry a wallet, you're not in a shop?'.

Brilliant. I actually know someone who, when asked why she left her cell pone at home, replied, "I wasn't expecting any calls."

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to say that can depend on where your light is vs where their phone is. I said that one time while my light was in my pocket and the other person was texting, all I have to say is the flashlight on an iPhone is pretty quick to turn on. All they had to do was slide up the menu and turn it on.
Well, to make it a fair challenge, both parties need to have their light/phone in the same place..
If i have my light in my hand, i am sure mine will come out faster too..

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another one that gets me is "Why do you carry a knife?", often whilst I am using said Leatherman PS4 to fix something for them. No gratitude and the rhetorical question.

dmattaponi

Enlightened

Why? We live on planet Earth, and are subject to nature. As such its very likely that everyone will at some point need a flashlight. I don't leave home without my wallet, or cellphone. I don't use them all the time, but I sure need them at other times. Same for the flashlight.

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened

Yup, everyone thinks you're weird for carrying a flashlight, until they're standing next to you when the power goes out. Same thing with a pocketknife. Although my brother said " If I'm ever stranded on a deserted island I hope I'm with you."

0dBm

Newly Enlightened

I don't even dignify this type of question any longer. I was at the deepest part of a building a month ago in NYC. A couple of snotty cubicle dwellers snickered as I press-checked my Surefire P2ZX as I noticed the lights flickering. As I had predicted, the lights did go off and the room went completely dark. COMPLETELY. I hit the momentary switch on the P2ZX and lit-up a path to the emergency exit while stating that I would only do this for 5-6 seconds. I never saw a group of people move so quickly.:crackup:

When the lights came back on about 20 minutes later, I was still sitting at the chair on which I sat after I awakened from a nice nap with the P2ZX still in my hand . A few of them gave me a dirty look as if I actually did something wrong.

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened

Years ago I was hanging with some buddies smoking cigars in a garage. Something tripped the breaker and the lights went out. Without hesitating, I pulled a light out and lite up the room. The guys still talk about that. I'm just disappointed I was the only one with a flashlight in their pocket in winter at night!!!

SPTiger

Newly Enlightened

The moment when I realized I needed to carry a light with me at all times was in a movie theater a couple of years ago, and a storm knocked out all the power. Is was pitch black dark. It was a helpless feeling, but I felt stupid because I have plenty of lights and had no reason to not have one on me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Years ago I was hanging with some buddies smoking cigars in a garage. Something tripped the breaker and the lights went out. Without hesitating, I pulled a light out and lite up the room. The guys still talk about that. I'm just disappointed I was the only one with a flashlight in their pocket in winter at night!!!

It's great you had a flashlight....but

If it was safe enough to smoke it was likely safe enough for somebody to whip out the device you guys lit your cigars with...

Here it comes....drum roll.....
BIC lighter. lol

I chuckle at how some folks can be seemingly bothered that others may think less of them for carrying a flashlight...yet it used to be several genarations ago folks carried matches until the Zippo, then Bic lighter became edc items. Bare in mind the cel phone hadn't been invented yet.

These days the flashlight has replaced matches and lighters carried by those who tend to be prepared...and really don't consider what anyone may think of them for that.

Now my coworkers think I'm kinda weird when I go to sit at my desk...because I set out a Strion, a TL2 (and now) a 3P clone before sitting. (They don't know I have 2 pocket sized as well)

But after 17 years working with these folks, they already know I'm weird...
They say "that guy's kinda weird...but he's prepared for dang near anything."
A while ago during a lengthy emergency situation 2 hungry fire men were bidding on my pop tarts. lol.
The winning bid was $30 for a package of pop tarts, which I gladly gave to the 2 hungry fellows at no charge...then I quipped "how much you willing to pay for this can of Raviolli?"...then I gave that away...but did take $1 for the use of the can opener.

Last edited: