• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: HDS Rotary

cliwilnew

Newly Enlightened
So what makes a generic looking light with only 250 lumens stock worth $269??

The goodness of an HDS is somewhat intangible. However, a few things are that they just feel solid and "right" in the hand, a nice amount of heft for the size, the rotary UI is great (very nice sub-lumen lows to plenty useful highs and many levels in between, also the switch is different than any other light I have ever used; minimal click or force needed to activate the switch but still does not activate accidentally. It was nice last year when they still had the $99 120 lumen clicky that you could try out and sell if you didn't like it. The new prices are definitely less try-it-out friendly. But, I would bet you could still try it out and recoup your costs if you wanted to sell it. Also, the wait-times seem to hopefully be a thing of the past. As far as the 250 lumen top output, it is adequate for EDC (not so much for SAR and similar activities) and I have hiked at night with the 170 lumen and it has enough output for this, and the 250 lumen is long-term output versus something like 500-600 lumens then step down to 250 after 1-2 minutes. Anyway, that is my non-expert opinion on HDS lights.

cliwilnew

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow Utah'n :)

Yeah!!! There are a few of us here. But sadly for me, your mom is kicking my flashlight owning a** with her new TK75. Nice purchase for her BTW. I mostly use EDC-type lights and have a small number of modest throwers. I'm working on it but every time I think I want more throwers I remind myself that the cost of a few of those will pay for a McGizmo Haiku which I desperately want and will probably be more useful to me. Anyway, hi.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
IMO HDS are as good quality if not better than Surefire. However like many Surefire the output is not kick ***...

Performance wise I am not impressed. Prices wise I think its too pricey for me but then again I am cheap. I could never manage to carry one and just use it rough as its intended. Just too freaking much $$$.

Its a very special light to hold and use somehow though. Its kinda like a sebenza...Nothing special really but when you hold it you know its speical...LOL

Anyhow. I would pay $200-$230 for it. It's a unique must have so to speak LOL

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice shots PSM, HDS lights are hard for people to understand being they are relatively low lumen in the flashlight industry. The only way to understand the following they have is to use one for a while. Its not for everyone but most will appreciate it's toughness and highly programmable UI.

Drizden

Newly Enlightened
Hey PSM , can you throw some outside beam shots out there for us to see pls like at 30 yards or so at a tree or bush with the VN upgrade

kj2

Flashaholic
Always wanted a HDS, and it would be awesome to have a 4000K tint with it. But I just can't justify the price for it.. $310.. Sure it's a well thought out and well made light. With extra cost for modding. But for the same price, I can get so much light more.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one with a 4000k XP-L, but with the rotary 18650 body. There was a group buy for them but I didn't even see it until after the deadline. Maybe one day I'll spring for one and get it modded, if rotary 18650 bodies are ever in stock.

Strintguy

Enlightened
One of the many pros of owning an HDS is the bulletproof warranty. Henry will sort out problems for the life of the light. Does the modding nullify this?

kj2

Flashaholic
18650 body would be great. IIRC, those should be in stock shortly.
Personally I can't order at HDS, because customs fees would kill it totally.