You want a new G2 color...

jlomein

Enlightened
That sounds pretty awesome. However, it it better to get a better matching baseline colour in case it shows through if the coating wears off?

Like if getting a multicam coating, using either an OD green or desert tan G2?

I don't think Surefire is releasing the green/tan G2L's for a few months. (it is listed as a new options in their 2008 catalogue).

jufam44

Enlightened
bump...I have a GB going on for multi-cam G2's, if you're interested it's in the MP.

roymail

Enlightened
If someone wants to try their hand at the DIY approach, I have a suggestion. I haven't seen much that auto primer won't adhere to. Degrease the surface, a couple of coats of good quality auto primer, then that baby should be ready for color.

Surely we've got a painter around here, someone with a spray rig and experience with painting motorcycles, cars, etc.

One of you guys with an older G2 user light should really give it a go!

Personally, I think hi-viz orange or yellow would make a great emergency light. :grin2:

oronocova

Enlightened
Hello,
I'll revive this thread as opposed to creating a new one to keep the pertinent information together...

I was wondering if anyone had went ahead and tried the Krylon Fusion or Auto-Primer painting ideas?

I have a couple from Gander Mountain on the way and my sister is insisting on a pink flashlight. She won't be totally opposed by the camo but if I could get a good paint job done in pink I'd be set. From a search someone found that the camo pattern on the one's I have ordered is simply painted on anyway. If noone replies I guess I will be the first to try it :)

-Jon

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Krylon Fusion would not bind to the Nitrolon. :green: Results were bad bad.

The paint they use on bumpers nowadays might do it though.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I want to be clear I have not used this camo painting system, but I have painted three M@glights with Duracoat paint in my garage with minimal equipment with excellent results. The more I painted, the better I got at it.

OK, Duracoat purchased through Hout Enterprises is not necessarily cheap, but they make camo kits that you paint one color, let it dry, paint, dry, paint....you get the idea. I almost did one because I remember this thread.....that's what brought me to the Duracoat stuff.

It is just as advertised. I painted in a 60 degree dusty garage, waited basically for everything to thoroughly dry in my then 45 degree garage for about two weeks, then brought my newly Duracoat painted flashlights into the house. I have had no problems with the paint doing anything for the past year or so I have had the lights in service.

So I think I can recommend the Duracoat camo system if you want to experiment with one or two of your own lights for fun. Of course a professional shop could make them look really good, but that would make me appreciate the superior craftsmanship from a pro shop after I made my own first.....

Just my two cents. Oronocova, thanks for reviving this thread. Customs colors are really cool.....especially when you can do them yourself and have a truly unique flashlight that YOU make yourself versus having someone else do the work. I urge you all to check out the web site.

Let me add, I don't work for them, never been to their place (even with a couple of visits to Nevada (they are outside of Reno)), just really satisfied customer. And no, I am NOT a professional painter or anything approaching it.....let's be clear about that, this stuff with some care and attention to detail will make you look like one though!!

http://www.houtsenterprises.net

Bob E.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa guys. Easy now. I hope my experience may help.

Back in April. I went to a convention in Cincinatti. Lakota Industries was on the way there. So i stopped by and dropped off some stuff to get coated.

dsc00013ij8.jpg

I was impressed at FIRST. HOWEVER their line about "hunters use these coatings and rub up against bushes etc" is BS.

The oakley's I had coated showed signs of wear after 3 weeks of sparse usage.

The other thing that annoyed me the most is that they got lazy. I dont know if they didnt clearcoat my stuff properly, but i know the base coat was WRONG.

The coating system is like a GIANT waterslide decal. Imagine a tank of water with a sheet of Cling-Wrap floating on the surface. now shove your fist into the middle of the Cling Wrap. The Clingwrap will compress around your fist.

The coating is transparent. so they have to spray a base coating. Kinda like if you print multicam pattern on a transparency sheet. So the base coat was supposed to be the lightest color of the multicam. The light tan color you see on MC pattern. but in actuality they just used a white primer.

Anyway my other coated items are showing wear as well. Like my Blackhawk Serpa Holster for my glock, airsoft helmet, and pistol light.

EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED. this coating does not last. maybe if you get somethign coated, you immediately go to a professional painter, like autobody shop, and have them shoot a nice flat clearcoat, maybe it will hold up.

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. is my recommendation or at least have it decently clearcoated. their prices are really high. like it was $36 just to coat my oakley frames.

Last edited: