Anyone else ever get these cold weather advisories

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME
300 PM EST TUE JAN 6 2004

...BITTER COLD AIR ON THE WAY TO NORTHERN AND EASTERN MAINE...

.LOW PRESSURE STRENGTHENING OVER THE CANADIAN MARITIMES WILL PULL
VERY COLD AIR FROM CENTRAL CANADA OVER THE REGION. THE COLDEST AIR OF
THE SEASON WILL ARRIVE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND MAINTAIN A GRIP ON THE
AREA THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK. INCREASING WINDS WILL ACCOMPANY THE
COLD AIR WHICH WILL PLUNGE WIND CHILLS INTO THE DANGER CATEGORY...
ESPECIALLY OVER FAR NORTHERN MAINE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY
MORNING.

...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY
MORNING......

BITTER COLD AIR FROM CENTRAL CANADA WILL ARRIVE ON WEDNESDAY ALONG
WITH INCREASING WINDS. THIS COMBINATION WILL PUSH WIND CHILL VALUES
INTO THE 35 TO 45 BELOW RANGE LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY
MORNING. FROSTBITE CAN OCCUR QUICKLY TO EXPOSED SKIN IN THESE
CONDITIONS.

ADDITIONAL WIND CHILL WARNINGS MAY BE REQUIRED THURSDAY NIGHT INTO
FRIDAY MORNING AS TEMPERATURES PLUNGE WELL BELOW ZERO AGAIN.

A WIND CHILL WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN A STRONG WIND WILL COMBINE WITH
COLD TEMPERATURES TO CREATE DANGEROUSLY COLD CONDITIONS FOR EXPOSED
SKIN. THE WIND WILL MAKE IT FEEL LIKE IT IS 35 DEGREES BELOW ZERO OR
COLDER FOR A PERIOD OF SEVERAL HOURS. THOSE PLANNING TO VENTURE
OUTDOORS SHOULD USE COMMON SENSE AND DRESS WARMLY, MAKING SURE THAT
ALL EXPOSED SKIN IS COVERED.

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY
MORNING...

BITTERLY COLD ARCTIC AIR WILL ARRIVE ON WEDNESDAY ACCOMPANIED BY
INCREASING WINDS. WIND CHILL VALUES ARE EXPECTED TO PLUMMET INTO THE
20 TO 30 BELOW RANGE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING. FROSTBITE
CAN OCCUR QUICKLY TO EXPOSED SKIN IN THESE CONDITIONS.

ADVISORIES MAY BE NEEDED AGAIN THURSDAY NIGHT AS TEMPERATURES ONCE
AGAIN FALL BELOW ZERO.

[/ QUOTE ]
now that's actually in reverse order.. the first message was received most recently and so on..

does anyone else get these? 'cause i'm used to blizzard advisories, ice advisories, flood watches and wind advisories.. but this is the first one since i've got the desktop weather thing that's put up an advisory for "bitterly cold Arctic air".. *lol*

i'm gonna have to go outside with a pot of boiling water.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Yeah, we get them when the temps are going to fall below a certain temp

Heck, you get frost advisories up until the first hard freeze of the winter and the growing season offically ends. Sometimes I think the NWS will issue an advisory when the Sr forecaster at your local office breaks wind.

I like and respect the guys, but sometimes it's crazy. We actually had one today - It's been above freezing, and it rained yesterday. Overnight, the cold front came through, and the temps went below freezing. We got an advistory that there might be patches of ice on the road were water froze! Gasp, a concept - water freezing!!!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Minnesota /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Oh yeah, it was supposed to be -10 with a wind chill of -35 last night, but I think it only got down to -5. We get those quite a bit.
re: The pot of boiling water. My grandfather worked on the railroad in Canada around 1900-1910. He started as a water boy, carrying water to the gandys. Anyway, I remember him telling me he would take boiling water to the guys to shave with in the morning out side their tent and the water would freeze before the bubbles got to the top. I just thought you guys in the north country would like that story.
I actually love the smell of the Artic air and I miss it in the spring.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
Yeah, we get them when the temps are going to fall below a certain temp

Heck, you get frost advisories up until the first hard freeze of the winter and the growing season offically ends. Sometimes I think the NWS will issue an advisory when the Sr forecaster at your local office breaks wind.

I like and respect the guys, but sometimes it's crazy. We actually had one today - It's been above freezing, and it rained yesterday. Overnight, the cold front came through, and the temps went below freezing. We got an advistory that there might be patches of ice on the road were water froze! Gasp, a concept - water freezing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, we like to joke with the tristate area tho.. they'll cancel school for like an inch of snow..
here in Northern Maine the only way school would get cancelled is if a blizzard lasts 2 days or more! *lol*

and i too, enjoy the smell of the crisp Arctic air.. it's relatively easy on my asthma too.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
We had a "heavy snow advisory" here today. Two or three lousy inches. :p
Temperatures were in the teens and twenties, with wind chills near zero. But there was no advisory issued for that.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone else ever get these cold weather adviso

While growing up, I lived in Michigan and loved the cold weather. Now in Maryland, the winters are just "mushy" -- the best word I can think of to describe the lack of punch in the winter weather here.

I miss seeing the vapor from my breath. I miss the feel of frost when I inhale deeply through my nose. I miss crisp, crunchy white snow. Instead we mostly have some wimpy rain, and sometimes a little grey mush on the ground. Sigh!

paul

Stefan

Enlightened

If you think thats bad, we still get school going all weather. The only time the schools are cancelled is when it reaches -40 outside. As for the warnings, we don't get warnings for this temperature....its expected yearly.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I grew up in southeast Alaska, and we used to have a lot of snow. Now I hear they get just a little; mostly rain in the winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Michigan is a toasty warm climate, it gets all the lake effect warmth. Now, Cheeseland, it gets STUPID COLD, although of course, not as stupid cold as Canada.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yuppers, the lower Michiganders have all the luck, lake effect and fewer FIB's! Juz' kiddn' I guys!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Yeah, but the Yoopers have the pasties!! (Oh and you have the cheese curd!) I miss em' both!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

We got at least a Wind Chill Advisory here in north and North Central Ohio. Mansfield is in North Central Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Columbus on I71).

Current Weather Channel: Freezing Rain from Portland all the way up to Seattle. Drivers in Seattle are playing Bumper Cars on the roads (ice).

Coldest of the season, eh? Well that can't be said until the season is over! They should add ', so far.' to be truthful.

Much of the Lake Effect snow we get here in Mansfield, is usually from Southern Lake Michigan, with winds from the Northwest. If the winds are from N to NE, then it is from Lake Erie.

The coldest it gets here is from a Siberian Express (-22 F). That is actual temperature, NOT wind chill.

Empath

Flashaholic

The Pacific Northwest states of Oregon and Washington are familiar with snow. We get snow nearly constantly through the winter. However, the snow is usually confined to particular elevation levels. Most of the people of Oregon live in the lower elevations of valley between the Cascades and coastal range mountains, and we get rain instead of snow. Snow, while occurring occasionally in the valley, doesn't occur often enough for people to become accustomed to driving it. Even a light snow snarls everything up around here. Since Monday of last week, here in the Keizer/Salem area we've received over 30 inches of snow spread over three separate "surprise" storms. This present and last storm wasn't so much a surprise in the snow, but in the impact. The temperature dipped down into the teens, followed by snow that was some of the finest powder that a skier could hope for. The problem is that some warmer air developed above the ground level that turned the snow to sleet. Then the sleet turned into freezing rain. Yesterday afternoon and today everything is glazed over, solidly incasing the whole area in ice. Chains might help, but their not effective enough. Traffic has come to a standstill. Schools are closed, some of the largest shopping malls closed down, and many employers shut down. Transit systems, while trying to do what they can, have given up and dispensed of schedules. It looks like the busses that haven's got stuck are just driving around like taxis hoping to gradually make it back to their transit hubs.

The news carrier couldn't maneuver the slight incline up the drive or edge of the lawn, so tossed the paper in the general vicinity of the porch, missing it by several feet. Even retrieving the paper proved to be quite an adventure. It has been breezy during the freezing rain, so the rain left no area untouched, including the porch right up to the door. Stepping out the door, I maneuvered my way across the porch, and down the steps with the help of holding onto the support posts. When I stepped off the porch I created a crack across the ice about ten feet long. This is really weird.

Edit: I made it out to the car to see if I could warm it up. The blamed thing is enclosed with about a two inch layer of ice. You can't reach the lock, or doors. Oh, well... It'll eventually thaw out.