So I broke the Maglite

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the dumbest purchase of the decade.

First, I drove for 30-40 minutes to buy the damn thing for $10. 4D Maglite in good shape. It has a burned-out bulb. So far so good, I knew and expected that. Drove home.

Bought the TerraLux TLE-6EX LED drop-in module for 3-6D Mags. What else can go wrong. It does not fit. Actually the module itself does but the tightening collar is too small to fit - to slide over the module and screw into the threads. There is actually an amazon review that explains this in great detail down to using a micrometer. It doesn't fit. I had installed the Nite-Ize module, 3W Mag modules, Malkoffs, but no, not this. It just doesn't.

I decided to dremmel the collar out a bit and did it successfully. Or not, because apparently one of the threads got messed up. Not sure. PUt the module in, the collar over it, attempted to tighten, did so - and no light. Changed the batteries two times. No light. Attempted to remove the collar and during the removal process cracked the whole plastic insides. All the plastic excrement came out, part of the switch I suppose, the spring and stuff. It was going in kind of rough so I used pliers. No-go by hand.

*** I hate the damn thing. What a magnificent waste of time, effort, gas and just stuff. Paid $13 for the TerraLux and it's a waste, since all the Mags I have are non-removable. *Plus* I am now not sure the module itself is good. Perhaps that's the problem. Got it used off your favorite auction. These old Mags are not worth anything in light of the fact you can buy Costco 700 lumen lights, 2 for $20. I got loaded with 2C/3C Mag combo at the BF sale at home depot also for about $10 each.
They cannot be any worse than this stuff. They twist and are really nice overall except the runtime sucks and I expected more lumens than from 2009. The 2AA models they have kick some serious rear end.

Don't buy TerraLux. It doesn't fit in mine. The 4D Mag looks fairly new and begins with D. And No, I don't care to buy another switch, another collar, another anything, I am keeping the LED and the head of the Mag and some rubber O-rings but the rest is going into the trash. 1990's called and they want their Mag back.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was much more enjoyable to read than it likely was to write.

I've considered the same... building up an old mag with new components. But, I realize I would have to get all the parts, and when done, it would give me nothing I wanted that I don't already get from my existing set of lights.

Your story has not convinced me to change my line of thought...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it if it's for free but prices of better lights have dropped rock-bottom.

$23 can buy you a lot these days. Going from a surefire clone to a Mag is like upgrading to a vehicle from 1949. Yeah, you can put a sports engine in it but then a corolla runs faster these days.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I love my big Maglites. Granted--they have Malkoff upgrades in them--one an XP-G and one the XM-L. They throw incredibly well and serve very well as hammers. Seriously, I have used them as hammers.

Truth be told, the big Maglites are a bit dated and much better lights can be had but...it's hard to beat the ruggedness of a bog 3D Maglite.

scout24

Flashaholic
XP-G Malkoff'd 2C Maglight here. LOP reflector and UC lens from Kaidomain. Nice single mode thrower on Alkalines for the money. The "new" 2C twisty LED models actually come close to the Malkoff for output and throw, but they're not as cool... :cool: OP- I am sorry for your troubles!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Malkoff that sucka!

You dremel away the cam

Push in the module and tighten the set screw BAM!
Done.

Scouts light probably has a much better beam though.
Later you can do an OP relector by Kaidomain and an ultraclear glass, but for now a stock setup in a 4D will be pretty freaking good.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Malkoff module in a 3D when they first came out, was or '07 or '08 or some time frame like that? Ended up giving it away last year as a gift. It wasn't anywhere near as bright as the current 700 lumen malkoff.
Got this 4D for pennies and the whole idea was to build an expensive gift light. I don't need it for sure. Invest $15 bucks in it and end up with something viable. They make great gifts.

I can only console myself in that I got six 3c and 2c mags, they make fabulous gifts. Made of metal and don't feel cheap at all. In fact, 2C or 3C is now my favorite Maglite size.

I would buy a Mag with a Malkoff if the lumens were significantly upped. To at least Hound Dog Super levels and higher lux.

Poppy

Flashaholic
etc,
I was smiling to myself while reading your OP.

Yes there were times that I spent hours trying to fix something, that wasn't worth spending 10 minutes on, and then having to toss it anyway. One episode, I can recall was when my dad gifted me two solid tube incandescent mini-mags. They were solid tubes because the batteries had completely fused themselves to the body.

I spent hours, with different solutions, drilling, hammering, filing, and pecking at it/them. I made a custom punch, so I could hammer the switch out, without smashing it. I finally took a 6 pound sledge to one of them, and used a hack-saw on the other to salvage the switch and some parts, that I sent to a friend.

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
I just watch the bay for decent deals, I got 3x2c (two old style one with the mag cat on the switch) in near new condition (one old had had a leak but works) for a good sight less than 20 shipped, got a 2d and 3D from 1992 NIP for like 10 a piece, magcharger for 20.

Everyone is into such bright lights, most of my mags are reasonably stock. Right now the OG 3d is running zinc chloride behind an HPR53.

Sure, I turned my dad's old work 3d he gave me into a mag85, and sure I have a nite ize 55 lumen in a 3c, or a 5 cell bulb with 2 AW liion c cells in a 2c. And my 6d may be running on nicd with an old 5 cell xenon.

But as often as not I use my 2d with nicd and either 2.4v .93a xenon or 2v 1.2a krypton.

Maybe it's because of young eyes, but even when the old man and I are in the garage looking for tools he tells me to turn off anything above 100 lumens as "it's too bright and makes it harder to see what I'm looking for" lol.

Maybe it's because I used to live in Ontario, but golly I reckon I'll always use maglites, even in stock form.

Don't get me wrong, I love lumens too, and my zebras and convoys etc are nice. But for me, a maglite has always screamed 'this is a flashlight'.

Right now my 4d is overdriving an HPR53 with d cell nimh, boy it's just a treat to use.

irongate

Enlightened
Don't throw the mag. bodies as they can be made into silencers for AR's if you know of someone that has a AR rifle. and willing to do a bit of work.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is O/T but an AR seems to be the worst possible item to silence. The 55 grainers are going 3000 fps +/-. To silence them, they need to go below the speed of sound which is about 950 fps. So it loses all effectiveness.

Maybe an AR in niner or 300 BLK perhaps. That are going slow to begin with.

I am recycling the bad parts, found an enthusiastic member who wants the parts. Good.