1/2 D NiMH Charger

InHisName

Enlightened
A number of people here have built their own adapters to adapt D and C cells to charge in a MAHA C9000. Basically its just a 'dummy' AA cell with wires to an outboard battery holder where you place your cell you want to charge. Charging rates are programmable from 200Ma to 2000Ma. So a half-D should charge in 2 hours to as long as 20.

Or use D charger with a conductive spacer like the earlier post said.

CKOD

Enlightened
A number of people here have built their own adapters to adapt D and C cells to charge in a MAHA C9000. Basically its just a 'dummy' AA cell with wires to an outboard battery holder where you place your cell you want to charge. Charging rates are programmable from 200Ma to 2000Ma. So a half-D should charge in 2 hours to as long as 20.

Or use D charger with a conductive spacer like the earlier post said.
2000mA may be enough for 1/2 D batteries, but watch charging large cells on a -dV terminating charger, the voltage drop may not be fast enough or pronouced enough for the charger to pick up on. 2A into a 3-4AH probably would terminate properly(watch it the first few times!), and if you were to use it with a full size D cell (8-10AH) then I'd be quite surprised if it did terminate on -dV, so a C/10 rate for trickle charge would be more appropriate.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I'm going to say to you the same thing I say to anyone using NIMH cells. Use a high quality hobby charger that allows you to set the charge current. You will be so happy you'll burst a walnut. Not even exaggerating. Ok, maybe a little. All you need to do is figure out a way to hook it up to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Maybe try magnets and some alligator clips. You can get creative if you want.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone recommend a charger that will take NiMH half-D cells?

You can use some PVC tube and rubber band to make electrical connection between cells and terminals.
Depending on number of cells, one of these chargers will fit your needs.

3cellcharging.jpg