1000W PAR64 HID 63000 lumens

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Well I got my big reflector. It is bigger than I thought, I mean in person.
I will get some pictures up as soon as I can.

Dave:D

ez78

Enlightened
Sounds good. :thumbsup: I decided to test this sealed beam stuff before I possibly get the Optiforms high quality reflector.

I will get my 400W "short arc" sealed beam from the customs today. If I have the time I can too take some closeup shots of it. I just hope it has survived the shipment in good condition.

Oh and I have ordered a ballast from schiederwerk. The 5-57AC 400-575W was about $400.

ez78

Enlightened
I got the sealed beam. Actually looks quite good. The reflector finish is not as good quality as in GE made bulbs but still pretty promising. And this was cheap. I don't have a ballast yet so don't know what kind of beam it produces. I would estimate the arc gap is about 5-7mm.

Here is couple of quick shots.

HIDThor400_3.jpg

HIDThor400_4.jpg

Fits nicely into the Thor 10MCP after some dremeling. :devil:
HIDThor400_1.jpg

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's taking shape !!

Should I be afraid now??

ez, quick, put some batteries and a ballast in there and let it shine dude!!

Best,

Ra.

dulridge

Enlightened
I already am quite far, designing an Emarc 200watt monster in the same Cyclops Thor pakkage! Maybe I'll receive a host from the states soon.. I already have the suitable inverter (Monacor TWI 220).

Postage might kill it, but you can get these from B&Q in the UK for about 30 euros. Might be cheaper than getting one from the US. Will check weights and what it would cost to get one to Holland if you are interested

Donald

ez78

Enlightened
Holy hell, that sure is cute little reflector. I think you can make something bad with that.:D

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Hello ez78

In my 55 watt hid the front glass can get very warm. I wonder if that
par64 will get very hot and melt the plastic. I sure hope not.

Also I'm thinking of getting Schiederwerk ballast for my project.
Did you order direct from Schiederwerk. Did you get igniter also.
There are hot and cold types. I may go 400 watt with 3mm gap
bulb, or 700 watt with 4mm gap bulb. The 1200 watt may not have
much run time, and would have a wider beam.

Dave:thinking:

ez78

Enlightened
Hello ez78

In my 55 watt hid the front glass can get very warm. I wonder if that
par64 will get very hot and melt the plastic. I sure hope not.

Also I'm thinking of getting Schiederwerk ballast for my project.
Did you order direct from Schiederwerk. Did you get igniter also.
There are hot and cold types. I may go 400 watt with 3mm gap
bulb, or 700 watt with 4mm gap bulb. The 1200 watt may not have
much run time, and would have a wider beam.

Dave:thinking:

Yes there is the possibility of meltdown, you are right. I have given this some thought. I will insert some fire proof blanket fabric into places where glass would be touching plastic. This low density material between surfaces should decrease the heat conduction to the plastic. And I will mount a 60mm fan to the battery door of the Thor. Air will be pushed thru the light and out from the ventilation holes around the bulb. And since this will always be used outdoors and at nighttime the air will be cool. My quess is it will be ok, but only testing will tell if there will be some expensive smoke and fire.;)

I ordered directly from schiederwerk . The order was 32 184 1000 JST ballast and 32 058 1110 cold restrike ignitor. But now there seems to be a slight problem with my order. Since I tried to order as a normal person and they only prefer to sell to companys. Anyways the 400W MH PAR64 bulb manufacturer makes their own ballast too so it is my backup plan.

Later.

ez78

Enlightened
Today I ignited the 400W HID for the first time in my living room. Almost frightening experience, it was bright.:sick2: Takes about 2 minutes to full brightness. Kind of floody but still with somewhat tight center spot, tighter than with the Larryk14 and more intensity.

I got suitable ballast for it this week and it is actually a model that takes 110V DC input voltage. So I could make a setup without inverter if I put enough batteries in series. I just don't know yet how steady the input voltage has to be kept, will there be problem with dropping battery voltage.

No photos yet because inside shots don't tell much I think. I'll take shots once I have finished making this portable into the Thor and can go out with it...

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Hay ez78. Good to hear you have found ballast solution. I have tried to
find good hid ballast, and have not found one yet.
I have however found a 3000 watt short arc power supply that is fully
adjustable. I will get a price and lead time any time now.
I will probably go the short arc route, because I have 4 1600 watt bulbs
that I won on Ebay. They have 2.8mm gap with 70000 lumans. 24v at
65 amps.
It looks like your project will finish before mine.

Dave:)

DM51

Flashaholic
Very glad to hear you are both persevering with this, and greatly looking forward to the results!

ez78

Enlightened
Ok I could not resist taking some indoors shots. Although these don't reveal the monstrous flood this 400W HID delivers, only the spot. But you get some idea what is going on. ;)

Edit: I noticed that because of the height on which the camera was set on this quick photo shoot the 400W HID spot might be causing more glare to the direction of the camera than the upper comparison spots in the pics. This would give it some extra intensity. So have to wait for the outdoor shots to see the real difference between these lights, still the 400W HID will be superior, eyes could tell that.

This is the Amondotech illuminator versus the 400W.

400Wvs35WHIDS.jpg

Here is my Larryk14 driven at 29V which is very bright, still I'd say there is some *** kicking going on. :party:

400WHIDvsLarryk14.jpg

Add: Camera was set on 1/2000 exposure, lowest it can go, and F5.0. Still the 400W spot seems to have 'burned' to just white on the pic, too bright to capture any shades.

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
400WHIDvsLarryk14.jpg

Add: Camera was set on 1/2000 exposure, lowest it can go, and F5.0. Still the 400W spot seems to have 'burned' to just white on the pic, too bright to capture any shades.

how long does it take to until the paint starts peeling of the door if you shine that against it? :)

ez78

Enlightened
ez u have gotta be kiddin right??

Thats ridiculously bright compared to LK14. :eek:

Yeah, it's quite mad. If only my neighbours knew what I am preparing here. I am pretty happy that this sealedbeam gives a nice spot and not just flood.

IMSabbel: Haha, I actually walked to that door after the photo shoot and felt it with my hand to feel if it got any warm. Well it didn't but still I got kind of worried, maybe if it was painted black. :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
EZ,

This is freaking insane, I love it! How many lumens do you think this monster is going to put out? Will it be the brightest light on CPF? That would be quite an honor considering how there are quite a few power junkies on here.
And to think I always considered my Sam's HID to be ALOT of output! :laughing: