Anyone have the "G&P A.I. STROBE Switch" for Surefires?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw this on ebay after reading lexina's account of the King's Arm extender, sold by the same outfit, Asia Airsoft Supplier.
Was wondering if anyone has this switch, and how they liked it? Seems a reasonable risk at $14, and I know I'm curious to see what a 200 lumen strobe looks like...

AW

Newly Enlightened
I bought one the other day and found out it works only on incan bulbs. I have no idea how long the bulb can survive when in strobing mode :candle:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
AH, I didn't think of that part! I'm used to thinking in terms of LED, with no fragile filaments. Thanks AW. This thing may not be the best toy afterall.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just fyi, Streamlight sells a strobe tailcap for it's SL-20X. Mine is running a WA1160 in overdrive; the strobe on this 500 lumen doozie is quite attention getting. It makes strobing lux III leds look ridiculous.

TNRonin

Newly Enlightened
That sux, the ebay ad says it will work with LED. I'm upgrading all my SF lights (that I can) to the Cree ASAP.

deeplog

Newly Enlightened
G&P T6/T9 LED and Xenon series of flashlights comes with these switches. They do work well on G&P LED flashlights anyway. They fit surefire bodies, but strobing an incan bulb is not my thing really.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn said:
Just fyi, Streamlight sells a strobe tailcap for it's SL-20X. Mine is running a WA1160 in overdrive; the strobe on this 500 lumen doozie is quite attention getting. It makes strobing lux III leds look ridiculous.

I have one as well running a WA1111 on a 7.2 volt MadMaxabeam battery pack.
Works great with a traffic cone for directing traffic/getting motorist attention.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that I have used on my 6P/9P,with Cree LED Drop-in,L5 and KL3 as well as my M3T with Arcmania Turbohead Module, and it works just fine! I tied it on the 6P with a P60 bulb and thought it was unimpressive. With all the above listed lights, I really like this tailcap...and for the price, I just had to at least try it!!! My friend who seems to love talkin sh!t about my flashlights fell victim of the G&P Strobe tailcap! He was decending the stairs with me behind him, I held the button down on the 6P loaded with the Cree drop-in module and G&P Strobe Tailcap.......BAM.....BANG BOOM BOOM BOOM..... WHAM!!! Down the stairs he went.(only about 3-4 stairs)
I thought he was crying and felt bad for a second UNTIL he rolled over Laughing his A$$ OFF!!! "You finally got me...I guess its payback for all the crap I give you about your lights" he said. Later that night he was hitting me up for what light and accessories to get. HHmmmm.....which one did he choose? 6P with G&P tactical bezel and tailcap!!! I do wish however the strobe (Hz) was somehow adjustable...strobes a little to fast to be truelly effective, but is still disorianting. There is also a bit of a noticable very fast flicker with some lights while in the "Constant ON" mode. Not very noticable. I was told it happens because of the PWM circuitry.
Is it bad to use on bulbs? Would it shorten the lifespan of the bulb?
Is there any reason it would be bad to use for LEDs?

ANYWAY.....for the price, I think you'd like it. If not sell it!

Elton

Newly Enlightened
i know this thread is kinda old but i was thinking about getting one for my surefire are they any good ?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i know this thread is kinda old but i was thinking about getting one for my surefire are they any good ?

Not for daily use on an EDC light. The G&P tailcap will fit onto your Surefire light, and it definitely gives you a strobe feature; a very fast strobe though.

The problem is, the tailcap drains the cells in your light; even if your light is turned off. And it's not a slow drain either. That makes the tailcap less than useless for many applications. Bought mine to use on a Surefire 6P that gets extremely little use. (Going to use the 6P tailcap on a project light. The 6P is going to need a tailcap, so I got the one from G&P. My 6P will mostly stay stored without cells in it).

Elton

Newly Enlightened
ahh thats not good ill go with a clicky tail cap or does the MCclicky switch from light hound work with the stock tail cap ?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
ahh thats not good ill go with a clicky tail cap or does the MCclicky switch from light hound work with the stock tail cap ?

The McClicky should work. If there's a problem, Lighthound will make it right.

For reliability reasons, I prefer to keep my Surefires mainly stock. OpticsHQ sells Surefire clickies.

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these - haven't yet experimented to see if it drains the battery; one could always store the light with the tailcap a little unscrewed, I guess. However, I did find that with several LED drop-ins (Solarforce R2, DX 11836) that it flickers unacceptably. It does work fine with my Malkoff M60, but that one is dedicated to a different light. So for now mine is in the spare parts drawer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have one of these - haven't yet experimented to see if it drains the battery; one could always store the light with the tailcap a little unscrewed, I guess. However, I did find that with several LED drop-ins (Solarforce R2, DX 11836) that it flickers unacceptably. It does work fine with my Malkoff M60, but that one is dedicated to a different light. So for now mine is in the spare parts drawer.

That's why I bought mine. I needed a spare tailcap switch that would work on my Surefire lights, but I didn't want to pay for an SF z49 clickie. The G&P model will fit on a 6P and similar SF models, and it's cheap.

BTW, I tried out the G&P tailcap on my Solarforce L2 host with the R2 drop-in. Mine didn't flicker, I just got a fast strobe.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I bought mine. I needed a spare tailcap switch that would work on my Surefire lights, but I didn't want to pay for an SF z49 clickie. The G&P model will fit on a 6P and similar SF models, and it's cheap.

Quick question - is there a reason to prefer the Z49 over the Z59?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a G&P strobe tailcap for the 6P from Lighthound and it works great with the LED drop ins that have come out in the last 6 months.

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
Monocrom,

I find that it flickers much less severely with my Solarforce r2 drop-in than it does with the DX. Conceivably someone would find it acceptable with the Solarforce; it's usable but the flicker is noticeable and it bothers me some. it is, as I mentioned, perfectly OK with the Malkoff, for whatever reason. YMMV of course.