Aloha.......a flashlight story

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have been in Kona, Hawaii for the last 4 days and have had at least 10-15 jabs and jokes about my flashoholism per day. Everything from "you paid how much :huh:for that(U2)!!!?" to why do you have 3 light just to go to dinner and on a walk:laughing:?(U2,A2,P1). etc. etc. Then this morning i arose to the blissful rumbling of a 6.6 earthquake centered 7 miles from our hotel. needless to say we lost power and the hallways, inner rooms, and stairwells were pitch black. I too wondered where the emergency lighting was??? But suddenly the jabs turned to "hey can i borrow a flashlight? " hey have any extra batteries?" (i have a dozen cr123 on hand) The power is back and i havent heard a single joke or jab but rather thanks and nice preparation comments. All lights worked great and even helped a few people that were not in our group but were stuck in the dark! Happy to say no injuries and only minor damage to the hotel. And the good news is the airports are closed so looks like the vacation will be prolonged for a few wxtra days...dang:rock: Take care and thanks again for feeding my addiction to these little buggers

Pyle It

faucon

Enlightened
Now that's a story to gladden my heart! We've all been on the receiving end of feedback ranging from good-natured teasing to outright ridicule. The laughter stops when *we're* the ones prepared for the unexpected. :)

marxs

Enlightened
nice story, i love stories and pictures. hope everyones well in HI, i have a couple of cousins who live in honolulu...i think people need to buy lights there, seems no one has one?

mark

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Pyle,

Firstly, that is a great story. Many mock Flashlights, but when they are needed they truly come in handy.

Secondly, and most importantly, I am glad that you and everyone else are safe.

Kudos for the Lights and Thanks for sharing.

All My Best,
John

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all, Yes we are all thankful to be ok. Thanks for the kind words. It did cause our Scuba dive to get cancelled for the day:awman: but we will go tomorrow instead. I must be a flashoholic, cause i am on the beach looking at the B/S/T to see if i am missing any good deals:laughing:. o well back to the corona's.
Pyle It

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story. Glad you are ok. Good job...:thumbsup:!

I have a new slogan: "The light at the end of the tunnel starts with the one in your hand" :grin2:.

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
Good to know that you are safe! I'm here in Pearl City (Island of Oahu) and it seemed quite bad but I can't imagine what you must've felt!

Some interesting facts behind the quake: Some geologists from the University of Hawaii think this is not from volcanic activity because the quake occured 25 miles underneath the surface. This may be a rare case because volcanic earthquakes occur much closer to the surface.

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
Great to hear that you are ok and that your addiction came in so handy!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the old Boyscout motto that was drilled so hard into me as a kid says, Be Prepared.

And it always pays in the end, or along the way, well done.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
You been down to the City of Refuge yet? I did a great dive there many years ago. We kicked out to the mouth of the bay, decended down, down, down to the sand... sand ? Oh my God, 150 feet, and then spent quite a while working our way up the reef. What a beautiful place. We also did a boat dive in the general area. Great trip.
Oh forgot, to keep it flashlight related...I didn't bring one on the dive since visibility was like 100ft.

marxs

Enlightened
sorry to hijack, but any good recommended dive sites in hawaii? I might be going there with family for christmas (hope it pushes through!) to visit family members. id love to dive some sites there.

mark

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should've "terrorized" the people who made fun of you just for a second. Then laugh and help em out of course.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was on Oahu when the earthquake hit. It woke up my wife and I in our hotel room. She grabbed me and dragged me out of the room. The only thing I grabbed was my P1 and used it to navigate down the stairs to the ground floor and outside the building. Without the light, I don't know if we would've fallen or anything, so it was definitely good to have. She also had her Luxogen LR5A with her. I brought a few spare 123As as well as a SL KeyMate and a Gerber IU for long lasting lights, but didn't even have a chance to grab them in our rush to get out of the building. After standing outside the hotel for a while getting soaked in my PJs because it was raining pretty good at the time, I went back inside when the hotel was able to turn on it's emergency lights and I waited a while for aftershocks to change into normal clothes and at least pick up the rest of my gear (lights and knives) in case any aftershocks occurred.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now when people jab you for carrying lights around, you can tell them your story. Then they will just look at you like you have PTSD... at least that's what they do to me.
Glad you are all ok.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Great stories! JSR's story is why I always wear a small flashlight around my neck. Used to be an Arc AAA now it's a photon II. In emergency you barely have a second to grab what you need.