Aloha.......a flashlight story

Brisvegas

Newly Enlightened
Great story! It proves the point that you should carry a light at all times!

Good to hear all is well and no-one hurt.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!
Something as small as a light is easily carried and it doesn't have to be big to be useful. Did you mention CPF to your fellow guests? ;)

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
I sure did. They were all amazed (or amused...) that there was a web site for people into flashlights. I think my father may be coming to the bright side because he sure liked the P1. We will see as he is getting a A2 and a P1 for his birthday next month.:grin2:

dixemon

Enlightened
My in-laws live in kaneohe and said they were caught off guard with not having good lights for the emergency. I think I will send them a few for the next event. I bet MR. BULK, and The Don didnt have any issues with lighting.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I really hate it when people keep asking 'Why do you have this light' questions. It's alright that they don't understand flasholicism, but do they really have to keep making negative comments about it? If they do not understand it, shouldn't they not comment on it? And I don't get it, why do people make fun of flasholicism any more than, say, collecting stamps? Flasholicism is fun and useful.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I have always said, it is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I am glad that everyone was OK!!

I have been in the mall when the power goes out, the back of the supermarket when the power goes out. My other half never questions my carrying of a flashlight.

cl0123

Enlightened
This thread is only 4 years old...
That incident probably jolted my interests in gearing up and eventually led me to CPF. Back then, I think I had:

• A whole bunch of AA Maglites with no fresh AA cells.
  • Two 3D Maglites with 2 new and 1 almost dead cells.
  • A 4-pack of C Duracells (for the radio) but no C-size flashlights.
  • Dinner-time lighting provided by the bare bulb on a D-cell Maglite tail-standing by inserting it into a roll of paper towel.

Those were the woeful days... :candle:
(Nowadays, even my kids know how to operate twisties, clickies, lanterns, ...)

With Aloha,

Clarence

I work in the wireless industry. A colleague and I were exploring a church bell tower as a possible hidden antenna site when commercial power failed. My co-worker had climed up the inside of the bell tower and was now about 70 feet above ground level on an unlit scaffold, and no, he didn't have a light. Lucky for him I had one (OK, more than one). I was able to light his was down using only a Fenix P1D CE (Q5). He was appropriately grateful (bought me lunch). Everybody else was merely astonished at the light's output. I didn't have the heart to tell 'em that the P1D is my "backup" light.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I don't get it, why do people make fun of flasholicism any more than, say, collecting stamps?

Flashlights are just one of my numerous hobbies. Some of my hobbies are pretty far "out there" in the minds of "the general public." (Do you know of anyone else that travels around the world to ride different roller coasters? I do and there are about 7000 other fellow members of the American Coaster Enthusiasts that do.) Myself and others that share my passions just learn to tune out those that choose to ridicule us rather than understand us.

My philosophy is that it's their loss because they would rather ridicule others rather than keep an open mind and maybe pick up an interesting and fun hobby. It's their loss, not mine.

By the way, people that I'm close to and that I care about don't make such inane comments about my hobbies and interests. The only people that do are people that I honestly don't care one single bit about so I really don't care what they think about anything in life, not just my hobbies. Pretty much all of those people are out my life forever now so I just don't care about their opinions.

duboost

Enlightened
That incident probably jolted my interests in gearing up and eventually led me to CPF. Back then, I think I had:

• A whole bunch of AA Maglites with no fresh AA cells.
  • Two 3D Maglites with 2 new and 1 almost dead cells.
  • A 4-pack of C Duracells (for the radio) but no C-size flashlights.
  • Dinner-time lighting provided by the bare bulb on a D-cell Maglite tail-standing by inserting it into a roll of paper towel.
haha, better than me. That earthquake was way before i found cpf too (unfortunately) and I think I only had a mini mag, some random rayovac lights, and candles lol :shakehead