Please sell me on buying a Surefire M6

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've loved this light from the moment I saw it in the catalog but it only holds expensive primaries and eats them up fast any experiences with the beam is it worth it?

Danbo

Enlightened
Way too expensive, IMO. I owned one for awhile and traded/sold it off.

But, I will say that if your conscience allows you to spend that much on a flashlight, your initial reaction when you turn it on will be, "HOLY SHEEEIT!"

It's one bright sumbeeatch, that's for sure. Battery life is not as bad as you might think, as long as you only use the momentary on mode.

h2xblive

Enlightened
I think of the M6 as a novelty item. Maybe if you used it on your gun, it might be worth it?

Do many people who need to install lights on their guns use an M6? When I see pictures from the military, it seems they use an M2 or M3 or something around that size before they use an M6. Maybe the M6 is more popular with police forces?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the SF X10. Makes M6-like output, with a factory rechargeable battery. Hi-lo output. Not quite as cool a form factor as the M6, but still a great alternative. And you wont have to buy CR123 batteries by the truckload.

peace

Size15's

Flashaholic
h2xblive said:
I think of the M6 as a novelty item. Maybe if you used it on your gun, it might be worth it?

Do many people who need to install lights on their guns use an M6? When I see pictures from the military, it seems they use an M2 or M3 or something around that size before they use an M6. Maybe the M6 is more popular with police forces?
I have only once seen an M6 attached to a weapon and it was for concept only - not actively used that I recall.
SureFire certainly make a WeaponLight version of the M6 - the M500B which is a dedicated forend which replaced the handguards of a carbine...

You're right, most WeaponLights usually have two or three SF123A batteries - not six!

The M6 may be a "novelty item" to some but to those for whom it is designed and intended it is an extremely power tool. When you need a lot of light but you can't be carrying a lot of flashlight the M6 is top of the line.

Without a doubt I'd be wanting to buy an M6 after I'd purchased an L2 (in the event that all the flashlights I have disappeared)
P211.jpg

Certainly for me there is a big element of fun and play when I use the M6 but there have been situations where it's been extremely useful and indeed I was able to claim for the SF123A batteries I used on company expenses.

One of my M6's is in my everyday rucksack...

Al :D

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree with Size15's here.

The M6 is perhaps the coolest flashlight ever!

I use mine a lot, but that's helped by the fact that I have a rechargeable battery pack.

The size is incredibly compact for the output.

Bill

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh thanks everybody I really appreciate all your input. I'd sure like to get a hold of a rechargeable solution though before I jump in. Thanks and if anyone feels like adding feel free I'm almost sold!!

h2xblive

Enlightened
Size15's said:
I have only once seen an M6 attached to a weapon and it was for concept only - not actively used that I recall.
SureFire certainly make a WeaponLight version of the M6 - the M500B which is a dedicated forend which replaced the handguards of a carbine...

You're right, most WeaponLights usually have two or three SF123A batteries - not six!

The M6 may be a "novelty item" to some but to those for whom it is designed and intended it is an extremely power tool. When you need a lot of light but you can't be carrying a lot of flashlight the M6 is top of the line.

Without a doubt I'd be wanting to buy an M6 after I'd purchased an L2 (in the event that all the flashlights I have disappeared)
P211.jpg

Certainly for me there is a big element of fun and play when I use the M6 but there have been situations where it's been extremely useful and indeed I was able to claim for the SF123A batteries I used on company expenses.

One of my M6's is in my everyday rucksack...

Al :D

Oh, do tell!

ugrey

Enlightened
If you want it as a toy,and can afford it, it is a GREAT toy, amazingly bright. Get a rechargable kit from a board member. It is about as bright as a 1 million CP spotlight. It has a broader beam with no rings. It will also sit in your pocket, it's a bit lumpy but it will fit. If you want it for a bump in the night light, IMO, it is the best: 500 lumens! Brighter IS better. The lithium 123 batteries will not self discharge like rechargables. It will be good to go 6 months from now. Mine sits next to a pistol in my home office, where I am most nights. Look at the cost like you would something you are going to have at least 10 years. If you live in a city, its use as a toy will get you some unwanted attention. If I lived in the country, I can not imagine being without one. Have fun!

batman

Enlightened
this flashlight is so powerful it probably makes a "swoosh" noise like a light saber when you turn it on, commanding instant attention and respect for it's lethality.

Size15's

Flashaholic
h2xblive said:
Oh, do tell!
The most recent time there was a powersupply failure at work - in the switching room (cupboard basically) the "magic" boxes couldn't decide whether to accept mains power (which meant the lights were on), or backup power (which had run out of juice and which meant the lights were off) - so it was switching back and forth - The room lights and building power was switching on and off quite fast.
The fixit man's flashlight was dead because his charger was at his depot and he'd been out on call for three days. All of the flashlights at work were still dead - a fact which I had discovered like 6 months earlier and written a memo to our Facilities manager to ensure they knew to replace them. They hadn't been.

In asking around for a flashlight I lent the fixit man my M6 (MN20 lamp) which was bright enough to obliterate the flashing overhead lights so he could concentrate on fixing the magic inside the "magic" boxes so the building could correctly decide which power supply to draw from...

Any less light and the flashing overhead lights would have been too much of a distraction - for example the L2 was not bright enough. The M6 was required.

Al :)

OverLord1

Newly Enlightened
I just got my M6-CB a couple of weeks ago after comtemplating the purchase of a $330 light for almost a year. Now that I have it I don't regret spending the cash one bit. The interesting thing for me was that I assumed that I would be using the HOLA and had not even considered using the LOLA on a permanent basis. At least to me, the LOLA appears to be more than 250 lumens and it is plenty bright for any task that I would need a flashlight for. My HOLA is still in the sealed baggie and honestly it will probably remain there for some time.

Ed

cnjl3

Enlightened
I love my M6! I guess if you have a purpose for the light it is a lot easier to justify the cost. I use my M6 for hunting and thus i use the LOLA more times than the HOLA. I love how compact the package is and yet the brightness factor always generates a big "WOW". Some M6 owners (me too!) are anxiously awaiting our rechargeable solutions from AWR which will only enhance the M6. It will not only save your bulbs (soft start) it will increase run time and the best part is that you wont have to shell out for the 123's unless you want to.

h2xblive

Enlightened
Size15's said:
The most recent time there was a powersupply failure at work - in the switching room (cupboard basically) the "magic" boxes couldn't decide whether to accept mains power (which meant the lights were on), or backup power (which had run out of juice and which meant the lights were off) - so it was switching back and forth - The room lights and building power was switching on and off quite fast.
The fixit man's flashlight was dead because his charger was at his depot and he'd been out on call for three days. All of the flashlights at work were still dead - a fact which I had discovered like 6 months earlier and written a memo to our Facilities manager to ensure they knew to replace them. They hadn't been.

In asking around for a flashlight I lent the fixit man my M6 (MN20 lamp) which was bright enough to obliterate the flashing overhead lights so he could concentrate on fixing the magic inside the "magic" boxes so the building could correctly decide which power supply to draw from...

Any less light and the flashing overhead lights would have been too much of a distraction - for example the L2 was not bright enough. The M6 was required.

Al :)

interesting story

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
In price, size, output, and lumen-hours per charge, how does a rechargeable M6 stack up against some of the superlights sold in the Mods forum--lights like FiveMega Mag mods (AA, 18500, 18650, 17670), FiveMega Stinger mods, ROP High, Mag 1185? Others?

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
OverLord1 said:
I just got my M6-CB a couple of weeks ago after comtemplating the purchase of a $330 light for almost a year. Now that I have it I don't regret spending the cash one bit. The interesting thing for me was that I assumed that I would be using the HOLA and had not even considered using the LOLA on a permanent basis. At least to me, the LOLA appears to be more than 250 lumens and it is plenty bright for any task that I would need a flashlight for. My HOLA is still in the sealed baggie and honestly it will probably remain there for some time.

Ed

Are you afraid you'll never go back to the LOLA?:D

Size15's

Flashaholic
LED61 said:
Are you afraid you'll never go back to the LOLA?:D

Most of the times I prefer the HOLA - P61, MN11, MN16, N62 etc but I actually think the MN20 has a lot to offer because the M6's battery pack is so powerful the MN20 is brilliant white for longer.

I am not surprised that people prefer the MN20 over the MN21, or feel that the MN20 does such a great job that the MN21 can remain wrapped up.

Al