What would be your pick of long range light

jackpot316

Newly Enlightened
What light would be your pick if you had to have a light with a super reach.
This light has to be cordless and in the price range of 20 to 150 bucks Please keep your pic below the max of 150 .The reason is a friend is looking for a strong light that is not big and bulky with a lot of light power at a great distance Keep in mind this has to be a flash light "stick or latern" NO SPOT LIGHTS. All responses will be appreciated

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is "super reach"? Can you quantify that?
Sounds like a Mag Charger would do the trick, based upon the lack of information.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello jackpot316 and welcome to CPF:)

Since you have a price range with a very low end (20$) and you want a super thrower, there are a lot of lights, which will have a relative good throw for the money. It depends what you are mean with "super reach".

The SL PP Lux 4AA or the Mag-leds are good thrower for the money. Also Inova has great lights in this price range. But I wouldn't say super thrower.

I'm not sure, if all of the following lights are in this price range, but take a look at them:

G&P R500, MagCharger, Streamlight TL-3, Ultrastinger, Tigerlight.

Good luck and best regards

_____
Tom

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight TL-3 is small and light enough to carry around in your pocket for hours and has fantastic throw.

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
I can throw my Fenix L1p pretty far.
lolsign.gif

Just kidding, I would never throw my L1P
ohgeez.gif

I'd recommend the Streamlight Ultrastinger.
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/streamlight_ultrastinger.htm

carrot

Flashaholic
woodasptim said:
Just kidding, I would never throw my L1P
ohgeez.gif
I would, and have. My trusty L1P has been dropped on pavement, slid on hard tile, and left in torrential rain. And guess what? It still works!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put together a Mag85 with li-ion batteries for under $125. It is just a modified 3D Maglite, but it will blow the socks off of any of the whimpy lights mentioned here so far.

Delvance

Enlightened
Pelican M6 lithium, just chop the lamp assembly's spring a bit so it doesn't put a tonne of pressure on the batteries. About $40 for 10,000 lux with fresh cells, built like a tank and a pelican lifetime warranty.

The G&P R500 scorpion would be a good choice too imho. It would probably be about $100 delivered but has excellent throw with good sidespill. Rechargeable and ease of recharging are bonuses too.

sniper

Enlightened
Mag Mod 3D direct drive with TVIL or (?) led.
Mag 3 D with Diamond DB3W drop-in.

Bright, reasonable price, not too heavy, good run time, and lotsa throw!

firefly99

Enlightened
jackpot316 said:
What light would be your pick if you had to have a light with a super reach.
The reason is a friend is looking for a strong light that is not big and bulky with a lot of light power at a great distance

Do you want a light that can be seem 2 miles away or a light that can project its beam and illuminate a target 2 miles away ?

The Pelican M6 is a well known for throwing a beam. No modding required.
As someone had mentioned above.

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
If your friend wants a rechargable light, I would go with the Streamlight Ultrastinger over the Mag Charger; the US is lighter and way easier to hold for any sized hands than the Mag Charger, the Mag Charger has a longer throw and is brighter in general (not by alot, but it's visible), but the US has a way nicer beam pattern either focused or defocused becuase of its textured relfector.

If your friend wants a non-rechargable light with some heft, go with the MagLED 3D or 4D (3D is slightly brighter, 4D has much longer runtime). They're affordable, ubiquitous, sturdy, handsome, and are very bright by any standard.

If your friend wants a pocketable LED thrower, I would tell him to get the VB-16 that's on sale in the Dealers' section of the forum by member Waion. It throws everybit as far as the Propolys from Streamlight, has a more usable spillbeam from what I can tell (subjective), and IT'S ADJUSTABLE in brightness! On lower levels, it should run for days without problems. It's $55 including shipping.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the biggest bang for your buck, get a Ledbeam. They are on sale now for $22 or 3 for $54 (that's including tax, shipping, and handling). If you get it and don't agree it meets all your requirements, it is cheap enough that you can use it for a stocking stuffer.

I've given so many of them away over the last couple of years that I'm down to my last one, so I just ordered 3 more.

EDIT:

I just ran across this thread with some mor info on the Ledbeam.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the Fivemega "700L." Basically, a 1.5D Mag custom fitted to use 3 Pila 168S batteries (protected 17670). There are a few bulb choices, but the Welch Allyn 1331 is a real scorcher. In the end, I think it'll probably be one of the few hotwires that I hang on to (that, and one of mac's 700L shorties, as soon as I get one!).

speederino

Enlightened
+1 on the ledbeam. If you are shopping at the bottom end of the price range you've given, and you don't intend it for professional use, you can't beat the throw.