LAPD's new flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chief Bratton has decided that the LAPD needs a propretary designed light, so they turned to Pelican, designated model 7060.

I haven't seen pics, yet, but it is an LED with a momentary tail cap switch AND a body on-off clickie switch and Li-Ion rechargeable battery. Looks like it's a nylon composite. Head looks a bit awkward, though

As of this posting date, I think the LAPD is the first agency in the U.S. to have a custom designed duty light.

http://video.nbc4.tv/player/?id=86824

http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=7060

--dan

CAVEAT:
If you participate in this thread, leave politics out of it...thanks.

Last edited:

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
Dano, You just beat me to posting this! :grin2:

I saw it on the news this morning. I guess they are switching to a smaller, lighter light because of that filmed incident a year or so ago where they show the officer beating a suspect with their 'large metal' flashlight. So now they are switching to a small, light flashlight to help avoid the flashlight being used as a weapon. At least that is what the reporter was saying.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can swear I posted in this thread or a similar before, déjà vu?
Anyway, anyone got any pics of it? Sounds interesting, also that they chose pelican and not one of the more usual brands. I might be wrong, but I associate Pelican more with industrial appliances.

Enlightened
If you go to the Pelican link that is listed on the first post you can see pictures of it. The site is buggy though. Scroll your mouse over the squares and a picture will pop up.

Gator762

Enlightened
I thought Pelican always made quality lights, and they seem to specialize in polymer lights. Also made in US, so it seems like a fairly natural choice.

I can see the polymer choice, the point was that is isn't so use able as a beat stick. Not sure that is a good idea or not, but they do want to clean up their image, so a Aluminum light with edges is probably not too good and more costly in that regard. Looks pretty good!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to some sources, several manufacturers tried to make a light, but they dropped out. Pelican was the only one that stayed in the bidding process and developed a light for the LAPD.

-dan

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The local Police Dept. where I live has regulations on light carry as well. They are issued a SL-20X for the car, and have to provide their own belt carry(small town city police). They as well cannot carry anything as long as a 2D Mag if it's metal, because of the chance it can be used as a weapon. I bought my uncle(who is in my local PD) a Surefire L5 with the V70 holster to carry on his belt. He said all the other officers are jealous and wanted to know where he got it :naughty: Apparently, he has the most bad-*** light in his whole dept :)

qarawol

Enlightened
I have seen and tried out that Flashlight back in Dec 2006. It was the prototype. I was at Pelican when a LAPD Personal was there to check it out.

It is polymer, and I thought the 3-way switch was kinda neat. Tail cap and side body switch = nice. You can turn it on and off from what ever switch tickles your fancy at the time. The head was a bit on the long side so it made it front heavy. Nothing too impressive on the output for I was in their showroom and that was not enough distance to see how far the deep reflector throws out its beam.

I also saw and played with their prototype Big 'D' HID. :rock:

Njoy...

Mad1

Enlightened
Hmm it looks pretty cool. He said that this light is meant to be able to identify things better, but if it's an LED it won't have a better colour rendition than an incandescent beam.

Something like a G3 would be much better in my opinion.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Mad1 said:
Hmm it looks pretty cool. He said that this light is meant to be able to identify things better, but if it's an LED it won't have a better colour rendition than an incandescent beam.

Something like a G3 would be much better in my opinion.

You're correct. Take a look at the video. The light they were using before made it easier to see things clearly. The only problem was the beam was a bit too narrow. The new light produces a very blue beam and everything sort of just blends together. The beam is wider and brighter which helps but is offset by the lack of color rendition.

So they can see more but not as clearly.

pelical7060m7.jpg

byron8

Newly Enlightened
Here is the link to the PDF, page 9
http://www.pelicanaustralia.com/pdfs/07%20Lights%20Catalog%20small.pdf

I don't know why they chose Pelican except for price and that is why the other's dropped out. It doesn't even have a strobe. It is made of Xenoy resin which is plastic and not Polymer composites like guns. It will probably not hold up to temperature extreams well but the temperature in L.A. is moderate so maybe ok. The slide switch would not be waterproof it seems unless it is a no contact slide switch. It doesn't say it can use regular batteries but only "one" lithium ion rechargable. 1.5 hours run time not enough for a cop patrolling at night it seems if he got to responds to a traffic accident or 2. I had a few Pelican lights in the past and will never buy again. The twisty heads freeze up despite lubricants, switches broke, bodies cracked on me when trying to turn on the light with a semi frozen head. They would have been better off with a Surefire G2Z if they are worried about the cops hitting someone over the head. The new eveready hardcase military would be much better for same price as it has blue light for tracing blood trails, infrared, and I think it has strobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts