Is this MINI-MAG AA LED/multi-mode modification worth it... what is a "Luxeon I" LED

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Is this MINI-MAG AA LED/multi-mode modification worth it... what is a "Luxeon I" LED

I just ordered this Mini-Mag AA upgrade from countycomm.com

Here is the link... http://www.countycomm.com/magledplus.htm

Have any of you fellow forumers experienced what this light is like? I ask with two different concerns:

A. Is the LED good and how does it compare to a CREE?
B. Does the multi-mode really work and is it regulated well?
C. Will it be better than my Nite-Ize three LED upgrade?

Thanks...
Ryan

P.S. I already ordered it so hopefully all is well...

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: Is this MINI-MAG AA LED/multi-mode modification worth it... what is a "Luxeon I"

Luxeon I emitters were the "O G" high power emitters. They are still widely used but they aren't anything cutting edge. The new Cree/Seoul emitters are much more efficient. (around double, depending on which bin is being compared)

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Re: Is this MINI-MAG AA LED/multi-mode modification worth it... what is a "Luxeon I"

Would there be any way to mod the mod then once it gets here? Are there any Cree Mini-Mag AA mods yet?

Thanks,
Ryan

lumenal

Enlightened

On a whim I picked up this exact NiteIze Lux/IQ switch upgrade, fully expecting to try it, not like it, and give it away. I was wrong.

This upgrade in a MM has really grown on me.

Its a long, cool running welcome addition to the old 2AA MM, a form factor I've always liked.

Its shorter than the 2AA MagLED, and feels more balanced in my hand.

Sure I've got Crees, SSC P4s, and now a Rebel, and all of these emitters will blow this upgrade away. But, in turn, this NiteIze upgrade will blow the stock incan MM away, :xyxgun: as well as the three 5mm LED NI upgrade. ( there is a use for both, however).

This MM upgrade is nice, for a short to medium range use. And the included reflector does a very good job creating a nice hotspot with decent spill.

Mine has a nice white, slightly warm tint.

The IQ switch uses PWM, but works nicely. I use this light every night around the house. Of course, YMMV.... :whistle:

luminata

Enlightened

I dont know if this is applicable nationwide but EMS outfitters (a retail hiking/outdoors type store) has these things at the front in bins for $10 bucks. I dont have a minimag but have been contemplating going back getting one and a Minimag at Walmart for $8.50 just to try it.. I know it wont be amazing , but for a light to leave bedside andwith the blinky tailcap all for $19.00 bucks? I dont know, by the tme i decide they will probably be all gone.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The only problem with the IQ switch is that it sucks about 50% of the power so the light will not be as bright as with the normal tail switch. I don't have one but I've seen one, pretty good for the price and availability (I mean how many people have heard of Terralux or batteryjunction).

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Thanks for the input lumenal. I appreciate your one-on-one encounter with the light and the experience helps for advice.

Gunner12,

What do you meanby the 50% power drain? Why does it do this and if I change back to my other tail-cap on/off, will I get a brighter light at the cost of reduced runtimes?

Thanks all,
Ryan

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I'm not sure about runtime but Flashlightreviews shows about 50% less output with the IQ switch(review here)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

RebelXTNC

Enlightened

My belief is that the new IQ switch that comes bundled with the 1W Luxeon upgrade performs better than the original IQ switch that was reviewed and also got a bad early reputation for reliability.
The new switch does still limit the brightness some but it's plenty bright for most uses and it does run cool.
I'm pleased with mine, it has a nice white tint and the switch hasn't had any problems.
If you want brighter there are other upgrades available, but the NiteIze has worked well for me. If you can get the kit for $10 as mentioned that would be a good deal.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Here's a nice selection of late model MM upgrades, including several specialty bulbs:

The TLE-5EX is generally the CPF favorite. I've been happy with my MM upgrades, although its funny how useful high/low settings seem after you max out the high and can't turn it down.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I just ordered this Mini-Mag AA upgrade from countycomm.com

Here is the link... http://www.countycomm.com/magledplus.htm

Have any of you fellow forumers experienced what this light is like? I ask with two different concerns:

A. Is the LED good and how does it compare to a CREE?
B. Does the multi-mode really work and is it regulated well?
C. Will it be better than my Nite-Ize three LED upgrade?

Thanks...
Ryan

P.S. I already ordered it so hopefully all is well...

A ~

Target sells that upgrade kit for the same price. I bought just the 1watt LED from a ****'s Sporting Goods store. The LED is sweet! But not when compared to a high-output Cree. The Nite-Ize 1watt LED does a good job when compared to other 1watt LED drop-ins for the 2AA Mini-Mag.

I have no personal experience with the I.Q. switch. (I actually used the tailcap switch that comes with the Nite-Ize three LED upgrade kit). Here's a review of the I.Q. switch.

Link - http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/niteize_iq.htm

C ~

I have a couple of my Mini-mags outfitted with the three LED kit from Nite-Ize. That kit is made more for runtime than output. The 1watt LED is considerably brighter.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

My "around-the-house" light is my 2AA MM with that 1W drop-in, but with the regular pushbutton clickie switch that came with the other popular 3 led cluster. It's a great utility light. Plus, I'm using Nimh rechargeables. They may or may not be bad to use with it, but it's been working fine so far.

gunga

Flashaholic

Personally I think I like the SMJ drop in from the Sandwiche shoppe a bit better.

It's cheaper (around $11) and has 2-3x the runtime. I beleive it is similar in brightness, but has much more of a blueish tint.

Also, I recommend frosting the front of the LED. Makes the spot a lot cleaner (otherwise, there is a bit of blue/yellow in the spot).

I used the IQ switch, and found it to be okay. I didn't like the semi -minor loss in output (with no gain in runtime) or the 15 minute shut off. Also, you have to be okay with the PWM used to dim the light, it flickers a bit. The modes could be better spaced too. Overall, returned it. It's not bad, just not super great.

The nite-ize 1Watt would be better if it was soldered and allowed a upgrade to seoul, but the way it is put together, I'm not sure it's moddable.

I think overall it's comparable to the TL-5 (Luxeon) from Terralux (which is easily upgraded) but it's a bit cheaper.

Not a bad choice overall tho.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Here's a link to the SMJLED-2AA module which Gunga mentions:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.c...d=940&osCsid=dfeb8f91fe4d1e8774f974239e7264e2

i also highly recommend this product. :thumbsup:

Made me "fall in love with Mini-Maglites" all over again. :)

Far superior to the boring Nite-Ize 3-LED module.
(although, granted, at twice the price)

_

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some clarifications:

The FLR review is now a bit dated. The revised Gen 2 IQ switch drops current throughput about 15% - a massive improvement over the Gen 1 product (it also has more robust switch internals for improved reliability and feel).

The $10 bin at EMS was likely just the switch or LED, not the combo that the OP bought. $20 isn't a bargain but it's not unreasonable.

The NiteIze 1W is ~30 lumens (underdriven slightly)
The TerraLUX TLE-5 is ~ 45 lumens (overdriven slightly) - markedly brighter than the NiteIze 1W to the naked eye. Prices are about the same.
The TerraLUX TLE-5EX is ~90 lumens and turns a AA MiniMag into a 'real' light even by todays standards.

The NiteIze unit is a 'sealed can' design and would be very hard to modify. You'd also have to mod the reflector slightly.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast

The nite-ize 1Watt would be better if it was soldered and allowed a upgrade to seoul, but the way it is put together, I'm not sure it's moddable.
The NiteIze unit is a 'sealed can' design and would be very hard to modify. You'd also have to mod the reflector slightly.
Actually, it was very easy to modify, or at least would have been if Nite-Ize had used lower melting point solder.
Here's the victim:
Niteize1.jpg

Sorry, no beamshots but it was green and very dim.
Niteize2.jpg

In stock form it was just slightly brighter than a bare SMJLED on lithiums (not the one with a boost circuit discussed above) so it's clearly not being driven at 1w. Just as well, since the heatsink is so small.
Niteize3.jpg

Just pry the plastic base off the can with a pick tool to reveal the board
Niteize4.jpg

The board isn't attached in any way except via the emitter leads, but the melting point of the solder used is so high that there's no way to melt it while it's in the heatsink can. So just snip the Luxeon leads up top and the board will fall off. Pop off the emitter from its thermal epoxy.
Niteize5.jpg

I had to crank up my soldering station to 800 degrees to melt the stuff they used. Bend the leads of the Seoul P4 down and adjust until it fits through the heatsink and board then epoxy and solder as usual, minding the polarity (the notched lead side of the emitter is closer to the IC chip, in case you forget).
Niteize6.jpg

No modification of the reflector is needed. In fact the reflector sits directly on the emitter surround to shut off the MiniMag so after testing, screw the head down firmly until the epoxy dries (the heatsink looks anodized so the positive base of the SSC wasn't a problem).
Niteize7.jpg

Now the "low" mode on the IQ switch is as bright as "high" was with the Luxeon.